Gearhead. Blessing or Curse?

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I think its both. I too, like most here, cant leave anything alone. I really wish I didnt push the truck so far and crack a piston. The build was a major setback and like Nick said, my truck is almost not useable for what its intended for. I bought a Buick for a DD and like a jackass put stiff lowering suspension on it. I've ruined a couple nice cars by "modifying" them! LOL. When my wife bought her car, she specifically said that I cant touch it. It got tinted, LED angel eyes and a headlight upgrade. :D I've had the sickness since 1996 when I got my first car and its been downhill from there. The truck has kind of cured me due to the hit my wallet took. Haven't put a dime into it since it was finished a year and a half ago. I honestly don't think it will ever end fully. Once its in your blood, its hard to get rid of.

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
I've got the same problem Thunder 550 has. My wife's car is the same thing. While they are kinda fun stock, I've been trying to talk her into an exhaust. No luck.
Then the other day I pull around a truck on the freeway & there's this wood block right in front of me. I take it in right down the middle. Now there's a thud every time it hits a bump.
Checked it out. Destroyed an exhaust hanger & bent the crap out of the piping.... Finally:D

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
What's depressing is thinking of yourself as a gearhead but not having the cash flow to even enjoy the things you take interest in. I can hardly afford to maintain my truck anymore, much less upgrade it much or get very far with my projects, etc.

I've never been good with stock though. Yep, it's a curse. :eek:

I have a friend in your shoes with the worst vehicular luck I have ever heard of. I feel sorry for him but you shouldn't even attempt being a gearhead on $9.25 a hr! Threads like this make me glad I kept my truck on stock fueling instead of pushing it till it blows. This way I can have guns, a nice car, a nice 4 wheeler and money in the bank instead of making payments on a built engine, twins, and dual cp3s!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I've got the same problem Thunder 550 has. My wife's car is the same thing. While they are kinda fun stock, I've been trying to talk her into an exhaust. No luck.
Then the other day I pull around a truck on the freeway & there's this wood block right in front of me. I take it in right down the middle. Now there's a thud every time it hits a bump.
Checked it out. Destroyed an exhaust hanger & bent the crap out of the piping.... Finally:D

Winning!!

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
How about "since the motor was running again"? :rofl:

Much better :thumb: :spit:

I tried to talk my wife into a TVS1900 kit for hers, she said no thanks and I realized that was $6k that could go into my 1/2 ton swap instead. I haven't asked her about it again :woott:

hotdogstand

May 27, 2013
Norfolk, VA
What else would you do with your time and money? At least being a gear head is a skill that pays dividends (as in, when stuff breaks you won't have to pay a mechanic, at least for most repairs) Try getting that kind of use out of your fantasy football league or $20k home entertainment setup. If you're going to flush money, flush it somewhere that retains most of it's value!

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
:confused: Cant take it ($) with you :thumb: Similar to alot of you here my obsession started with a buddy of mine loaning me his LB7 with the Banks Big hoss bundle to tow my Donzi to the lake one weekend about 7 years ago. I was instantly hooked and although at the time didnt need a diesel I had to have one!! A week later I bought my 05 form texas and no sooner did it arrive at my house in N.Y. I was modding it. 3 weeks later the transmission was toast:eek: Now after 7 years, 3 motors (2 Built), 4 transmission refreshes, 6 other Duramax's and a shit ton of time, money, and parts I still have my 05 and believe I am fairly content with it :) This is pretty much the only forum I still go on and have recently been re inspired by my LML to start reading and particapating once again :) It's so tempting to start modding it and its only been 3 weeks since I bought it lol, I keep ordering new things for the 05 the last few weeks to control my urge to mess up a perfectly good truck, It really is a sickness, Damn :eek::D :beer

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I plead the 5th, but my tagline may give a hint to my feelings on the subject. ;)

Last edited:

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
It is a sickness. This forum and DP back in the day is just fuel for the fire. I convince myself I "need" different mods by reading about all the guys trucks on here. I had pretty good self control with my brand new LLY with an edge box and exhaust. Didn't beat on it. Never limped the trans. Forums convinced me I needed EFI live in 07. Then the built trans to be able to run big tunes. I left it alone for a while then came the turbo. It is going to need injectors soon so I'm sure they will be 45% exergys... I'm sure the rods will be shortening themselves. Mild build on the horizon.