Gearhead. Blessing or Curse?

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I am starting to realize that my fun childhood love of fast and loud stuff has turned into a super expensive time consuming hobby. I'm just curious why some people are content with a new exhaust and an intake when many of us here are constantly trying to push the envelope(not me in particular of course). I thought I was happy with my truck when it made 482hp. Sounded great and beat up on most of the local muscle cars. Now $30k and close to 400hp later I still can't be happy with what I have. Tons of friends and family can't figure out what it is that drives me to do the things I do, but I know that I'm not alone.

I know this is just some rambling nonsense but it has been on my mind a lot lately. Why do I need 3 sets of wheels, 3 exhaust systems and countless spare parts around? I wish I knew so I could quit it. Any insight on how to kick the addiction would be greatly appreciated. Mostly by the wife and checkbook:roflmao:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I want to point out that this isn't only with my duramax. I have modified every vehicle I have ever owned in some way or another. Everything from an 01 Taurus to an 03 Saab 9-3 and of course every quad or dirtbike I've ever owned has had a built motor too.

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Lol, I think most all of us on this forum can say and agree the exact same thoughts!

I know my biggest hassle that my GF hates the most is my time on forums... I deleted my Facebook for her to only tell me she would rather me have Facebook then be on the forums :rofl:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I have the "modify" bug as well. ALWAYS have to change things. And once their changed I have to change it again. I bought my Cadillac hoping I wouldn't be able to modify it, yet now it has projector/led lights, wheels, exhaust, sound system, and I'm debating on turbocharging it.

Frankly I think I like the satisfaction of performing the modification, rather than the mod itself. I was the kid that had more fun building the legos than playing with them once built.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
yep, unfortunately there isnt much you can do to fix your situation other than run out of money. :hug:

I dont have the modification problem as much as I have the too many expensive hobbies problem.:woott:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
It is just terrifying since I'd like to purchase a 2015 at some point and I am nervous about getting another diesel since I will inevitably end up modifying it and breaking parts.

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
Your not alone I went from small blocks to a big block to.the ls world now I'm in the dmax world and even cars most people find fast from the factory I can't help but hot rod untill I become board sell it and play again

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Their estrogen is to high.:spit:
It as all making sense now:spit:

In all reality I wish I could just buy some shitbox and be happy with it. If I rode a stock slow snowmobile, a stock slow dirtbike and towed it all behind a 5 year old Tacoma I could have a Duck Tales style gold coin swimming pool at this point lol.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I got hooked back in 2005/2006. Friend of mine gave me a ride in his 05 6.0 excursion with a SCT. First ever 4wd launch I had been through and that was that...

I do have my times where I am completely pissed off at the truck for one reason or another and it goes in the side yard with the truck cover on it for a few months, then I get the kick again.

I went from being sponsored RC gas offroad car racing to dirtbikes, to this... and I thought those were expensive..

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
It as all making sense now:spit:

In all reality I wish I could just buy some shitbox and be happy with it. If I rode a stock slow snowmobile, a stock slow dirtbike and towed it all behind a 5 year old Tacoma I could have a Duck Tales style gold coin swimming pool at this point lol.
I hear ya,same here.I tell everyone that asks why I do this and I tell them there are a lot worse things I can do and this is expensive but it keeps me out of trouble for the most part....and doing work out of my garage helps fund my addiction somewhat.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Its a curse for sure, I always love the whole, "the speed limit is 65mph, what do you need 700hp for???"

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
ive pretty much stopped working on my truck but its where ive always wanted it and ive achieved my goal. thats why im so wishy washy on selling it and getting something new. Just like dustin said, its not really the parts im all excited about, its putting them on and the fact i can tell people "besides machining the block and building the trans, ive done all the work on it myself". hell im content with 600hp on a daily basis. plenty of fun for me.

I cant really leave anything stock though whether it just be a set of wheels and tires on a car or really decking it out, i have to make the vehicle "fit me". hell i damn near have a samurai junk yard on my side yard. i have spare trannys, spare motor, spare body parts, tons of spare mechanical parts that are hard to come by, a full spare set of toyota axles front and rear, spare leaf springs, spare t-case, yadda yadda yadda. its bad but things are so damn cheap for them compared to the dmax, its retarded. the fact i have a fully built motor going into it with a custom head, forged crank, and built for boost and it all cost me 800 bucks is just nuts.

the bad bad part will be when we find erin a new truck/suv. i will have to put a turbo on it at some point :D :D.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
And id like to add I have no clue how much I have in my addiction but if I knew:barf::suicide: but everytime she needs something I pony up somehow :(

ltr450ryder

Jul 12, 2012
racine WI
Lol, I think most all of us on this forum can say and agree the exact same thoughts!

I know my biggest hassle that my GF hates the most is my time on forums... I deleted my Facebook for her to only tell me she would rather me have Facebook then be on the forums :rofl:

Dude mine is the same exact way when I did this lmao