Fully built 2011 Allison c5 burned?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Hey guys was looking to see if anyone has ever had or has any thoughts on a fully built 2011 Allison with a burned up c5 clutch pack? I built the trans for a customer of mine about 8 months ago. Used suncoast kit and every spring (shift kit- pressure spring) that was available, all billet shafts and c2 hub, deep pan. The truck has made about a dozen truck pulls, daily driven, and does some plowing in the winter. Truck may make 450 at the tire. He had called me about two weeks ago said it was getting hot (about 210) while normal street driving. I had him bring it down and could smell the burnt clutches in the fluid. While now I have it out and torn down only issue is see is the c5 clutches are burnt pretty good. I took the apply piston out no cut seal.now that clutch pack was left stock as per the suncoast kit.
Any ideas to why the c5 burned
Thanks Anthony

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There is no shift kit for the LML. What exactly did you install in the pump and valve body?

schulte

Jul 31, 2010
CT
Only c5 I've ever seen burnt was on a "built" transmission (that turned out to be just a shitty PATC kit) on a truck that the guy put in 4x4 hi in reverse and was "rolling coal"/standing on the brakes revving it.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Another reason I'm having mine built by a professional. No offense to the OP. I talked to Evan yesterday great guy answered all my questions. His price wasn't the lowest but wasn't no where near the highest. It's a 16 hour drive one way for me but I've heard nothing but great about him and a Mike even recommends him. I'm from Ga and one of the top shops around here quoted me the same tran a hell of a lot more and he's raised the price every time I've called.

Cool story, has no place in this thread.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
No everything felt as it should as far as when I drove it under light and medium throttle. Never kicked it in the pants since I had smelled the burning clutch in the fluid. But didn't notice any drag.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Can't remember what exactly but I know there was a low pressure spring kit. Can't remember if that was all.

You need to remember. The LML trans is different. Some things that you learned on the early Allison don't work the same as the LML.
I install a pressure gauge on every LML I do before it leaves the shop.
Next year they will be even worse. The DIY clutch kits in your driveway is going away.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
I have a better answer tomorrow after I dig out my parts list on it.

Mike do you sell parts as in overhaul kits, and converters

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Ok found my build sheet for this trans. I installed the ratiotek part # rt-a11-prx which was a new main regulator spring and shim, enlarging one hole in the spacer plate, new epc regulator valve and check ball( used blue spring), and a pop off valve plug. Also installed ratiotek # rt-a-es which was a e shift spring. All came in the same box. I have strip the entire trans down checked every seal, valve, pump, ect came up with no good reason that the c5 died

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Quote:
If your building them and selling them to people you should know these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebe View Post
Another reason I'm having mine built by a professional. No offense to the OP. I talked to Evan yesterday great guy answered all my questions. His price wasn't the lowest but wasn't no where near the highest. It's a 16 hour drive one way for me but I've heard nothing but great about him and a Mike even recommends him. I'm from Ga and one of the top shops around here quoted me the same tran a hell of a lot more and he's raised the price every time I've called.

After seeing some of the feed back on this thread I wanted give everyone a little background about myself. I am a former gm tech for 11 years. I was one of 19xx gm world class techs. Ase light and heavy master tech. Now work as fleet maintenance tech for way more the any gm dealership ever paid there top guys. But while I work for gm I rebuilt just about every gm transmission that has been out the last 20 years. Every diesel that came though the door. Now when I'm not ( at work) I work on the side rebuilding Duramax, power stroke, gm transmissions and so on. I work 40 hrs a week at my regular job and about 80 hrs a week from home in my garage with a lift and just about every tool you can think of. I use a lot of my extra cash to build my Duramax. I know the people I do work for trust in me and I like to say I go above and beyond to make sure there cars and trucks that leave me no less then prefect. I think I'm very smart when it comes to the things we speak about on this site. I go on this form to further educate myself and share what I may have to offer. Never will I say I know everything. Some of the performance thing that go on here I heard of but never done. Some I have and the find out what I was sold isn't what I needed and wanted. I sometimes learn the hard way about the parts I was sold. Example I have broken 3 converters on my own truck in 10 months every one says there's is the best.. So in the end please don't think I'm some jack ass off the street who's here steeling people's money for junk work.
Thanks Anthony

Last edited:

Beebe

Sep 1, 2014
Anthony not trying bash you by no means which is why I deleted my original post, as it was said it didn't belong in this thread. I hope you get it worked out.

ty_LBZ

Camaro killa
Dec 6, 2014
Farmington, NM
After seeing some of the feed back on this thread I wanted give everyone a little background about myself. I am a former gm tech for 11 years. I was one of 19xx gm world class techs. Ase light and heavy master tech. Now work as fleet maintenance tech for way more the any gm dealership ever paid there top guys. But while I work for gm I rebuilt just about every gm transmission that has been out the last 20 years. Every diesel that came though the door. Now when I'm not ( at work) I work on the side rebuilding Duramax, power stroke, gm transmissions and so on. I work 40 hrs a week at my regular job and about 80 hrs a week from home in my garage with a lift and just about every tool you can think of. I use a lot of my extra cash to build my Duramax. I know the people I do work for trust in me and I like to say I go above and beyond to make sure there cars and trucks that leave me no less then prefect. I think I'm very smart when it comes to the things we speak about on this site. I go on this form to further educate myself and share what I may have to offer. Never will I say I know everything. Some of the performance thing that go on here I heard of but never done. Some I have and the find out what I was sold isn't what I needed and wanted. I sometimes learn the hard way about the parts I was sold. Example I have broken 3 converters on my own truck in 10 months every one says there's is the best.. So in the end please don't think I'm some jack ass off the street who's here steeling people's money for junk work.
Thanks Anthony

Way to handle it bro! If it were me I would have been pissed off, sub'd for the findings of the burnt C5