Fully built 2011 Allison c5 burned?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
The clearance ( should have been good) I say that because the c5 is left stock in most upgrade kits. The truck had low mileage when I did the upgrade and I left the at the time the original c5 clutches a steels. So it never moved from the factory clearance.

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Anthony very well said. I think some are quick to judgement without knowing the background. I hope you get this figured out.

Now I have a question is there an upgrade for the C5's to make them more durable?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
There is a upgrade c5 clutch. I was told by my former vendor that it isn't needed and that a lot of times cause issues. I figure due to the fact that the c5 clearance is adjusted by 4 different steel thickness. I can say that I am looking into this harder now with the people who do make upgrade c5s.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Anthony very well said. I think some are quick to judgement without knowing the background. I hope you get this figured out.

Now I have a question is there an upgrade for the C5's to make them more durable?

The C5 clutch pack does not need to be more durable. It is a huge clutch pack that holds a ring gear while the planetary gears revolve inside of it. There is no load on that clutch. Whatever happened here would have hurt any clutch no matter how good it was.
The problem here is; either the C5 did not have enough pressure or it was coming on when it shouldn't have. This could have been an assembly issue or possible main mod solenoid leaking. Hooking up a pressure gauge will help pinpoint the problem.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Can some one tell me what kind of pressures are expected from a 11 Allison with the ratiotek yellow main regulator valve spring?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Figured I give a update went through the trans head to toe. Found no reason for the burnt c5's. After install new factory c5 clutches and steels reinstalled trans. First 5 mile test drive trans hit 205 on a 70 degree day. Did some pressure checks found line pressure at over 400 psi at anything over idle. After taking to Mike L found cause of the problem to be the (tuned) Tcm. Guess they messed with the pressure tables when the trans had the upgrade main line pressure spring. So after installing the factory tcm temps are back to normal. Can't thank Mike L enough for his wisdom!

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Sounds like whoever fat fingered the TCM owes you something...?

I wish, I'll be lucky if they'll retune it without wanting to charge me. Lol
Then again not sure if I even want the to cause they new it had the spring. But the good news is I learned one more lesson the hard way. Lol:roflmao:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Who tuned it? I wasn't aware there was tuning support for the lml tcm yet?

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Who tuned it? I wasn't aware there was tuning support for the lml tcm yet?

right I think you just up the desired torque in ecm so the tcm will raise the pressure to compensate.

But Mike didn't know Steve younger had a shift kit so maybe there is just some really hidden secrets out there to these trucks?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
right I think you just up the desired torque in ecm so the tcm will raise the pressure to compensate.

But Mike didn't know Steve younger had a shift kit so maybe there is just some really hidden secrets out there to these trucks?

You're looking for trouble numb nuts and it's going to come down hard and fast. If I read one more derogatory thing from your whiney ass you are gone for good. Think about it. There will be no more warnings.;)

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
He already said he swapped out the TCM.

If I had to guess, The only way I know it would be "tunable" would be if it had an A40 swap.

Think he was using an A50 with a 2010 OS. You can't do that and use my pressure set up. Pressure will be uncontrolable.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
There is no shift kit for the LML. What exactly did you install in the pump and valve body?

You're looking for trouble numb nuts and it's going to come down hard and fast. If I read one more derogatory thing from your whiney ass you are gone for good. Think about it. There will be no more warnings.;)

Whoah Mike, why are you taking my comment as derogatory. I was simply pointing out that a super knowledgeable guy like yourself not being aware of Mr. Youngers shift kit which I have been using for quite some time, shows that sometimes there are parts that this forum has not yet found.

For all we know someone has a method to change the tcm calibration in the newer trans controllers.

Maybe if you did take everything I said so damn personally you would get along better. We are all into the same kinda stuff here so we do have common ground. Maybe we can try and find some and loose the instant hostility. I NEVER call you names Mike, or talk to you disrespectfully.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Whoah Mike, why are you taking my comment as derogatory. I was simply pointing out that a super knowledgeable guy like yourself not being aware of Mr. Youngers shift kit which I have been using for quite some time, shows that sometimes there are parts that this forum has not yet found.

For all we know someone has a method to change the tcm calibration in the newer trans controllers.

Maybe if you did take everything I said so damn personally you would get along better. We are all into the same kinda stuff here so we do have common ground. Maybe we can try and find some and loose the instant hostility. I NEVER call you names Mike, or talk to you disrespectfully.

You still don't get it. There is no shift kit for the LML. The pressure mod was designed by Steve Younger with my help around my LML. Nothing was changed in the shift circuit. Pressure spikes are higher with this kit and we can control them from the valve body. That's why the shifts are better.
To say I wasn't aware of it is just plain ignorant.