Front End Q's. Help me out here.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
ok guys, I've been thinking about getting some HD Tie Rods for my truck. Now I'm not very knowledgeable about suspensions and could use some advice.

I know that HD Tie Rods or sleeves are required for 4wd launches, but what else is required for a SAFE 4wd launch.

Another thing, what brand has been known to be good? Fabtech? Cognito?

I only have the money for just the tie rods, but what else will I need so I'll be ready in the future.

Oh and BTW, I want to keep my truck at the height that it is now. I know lowering it helps the front end, but I dont plan on doing that.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
I was thinkin about getting HD Tie Rods for now, then getting the pitman and idler arms later.

Dont u have to get the truck re-aligned after tie rods?

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I was thinkin about getting HD Tie Rods for now, then getting the pitman and idler arms later.

Dont u have to get the truck re-aligned after tie rods?

Yes, get it re-aligned... IMO,, I would just get the sleeves and Cognito braces.. My Cognito HD tie rods have a bunch of play in them already after 30k:(

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Whats the difference in performance in sleeves and HD tie rods? what has been known to last better?

No differance in performance and as far as lasting, well,, thats debatable:rolleyes: I have had better luck keeping the stock shafts in place then the cognito's.. Besides that the factory tie rods are a 3rd of the cost..

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Do u "need" tie rods? If not just get sleeves. I've ran both and the sleeves work as good as the hd rods. I only have about 5k miles on my cognitos, one truck pull and a few hard 4x4 launches. They r great so far, just can't keep the damn retainer ring on the inner boot. Pain in the a$$

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
You might want to ask around about the cognito tie
rods . From my understand they are not manufactured where they use to be. I seen a set on a friends truck go out a month after installing them and cog won't warranty them. bolth sides went out.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
What about the Fabtech HD tie rods? Are they better than the Cognitos? My front end has gone to crap, got like 5" of play on the steering wheel. I need to beef up the steering for sure.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Do u "need" tie rods? If not just get sleeves. I've ran both and the sleeves work as good as the hd rods. I only have about 5k miles on my cognitos, one truck pull and a few hard 4x4 launches. They r great so far, just can't keep the damn retainer ring on the inner boot. Pain in the a$$

i really dont need new tie rods. But I would just feel more confident just having the HD's. BUT if one performs and lasts better than the other, then I would consider the one that performs and lasts.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Mike at dmaxstore started selling a set of tie rods called Kryptonite. They claim 21,000 lbs before they came apart. They do not say who makes them, but they look massive in the pictures. If someone is running them, might be worth checking to see how they are holding up.

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm lifted 6" with 37's. All I have are sleeves. So far it's my CV's that always blow out when I do a boosted 4wd lauch with the 37's. For drag racing I usually swap to 285's.

Nick

cntry125

Gearhead
Sep 7, 2008
Wisconsin
When i put my sleeves on, i just counted the number of turns as i took them off, and then went in to have it aligned, and they said that my alignment was fine.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
Just get sleeves and cognito braces thats what i have and 200,000 on my entire front end and all i have to replace is ball joints. Thats not bad in my opinion since i do race and sledpull.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Just get sleeves and cognito braces thats what i have and 200,000 on my entire front end and all i have to replace is ball joints. Thats not bad in my opinion since i do race and sledpull.

you're from NC? didnt know that! cool!

anyway, would it be bad if I just want HD Tie-Rods just because I just want them. But I mean if the sleeves tend to perform better and are easier to install i'll just do that

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Sleeves. HD tie rods and solid centerlinks are unnecessary especially at your power level. Its also nice to have sleeves because when youre tierods wear out you can get oem ones for cheap. Cognito pitman and idler braces are nice and I think every truck should have them in all reality. You should lower your front end for 4wd launches for numerous reasons so you are going to have to get over that one.