Front End Q's. Help me out here.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
you're from NC? didnt know that! cool!

anyway, would it be bad if I just want HD Tie-Rods just because I just want them. But I mean if the sleeves tend to perform better and are easier to install i'll just do that

We met at Oakboro i had the black truck we were all standing next to near ed's camper

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
I think the kryptonites from dmax store are made in the USA! Most others are made overseas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
I'd say sleeves. the Fabtech rods on dad's truck are stout, but in terms of cost vs. lifespan they probably won't outlast 3 sets of stockers with 1 set of sleeves. But it might be worth something to be able to say "I have Fabtech tie rods". When you figure tie rod size vs. dick size, I guess Fabtechs could be better. That's why I have sleeves on my truck.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sleeves. then get a set of cognito pitman/idler arm supports

I had fabtech tie rods on for a year and bent them off roading. granted i was very rough on them and was surprised the drag link didnt bend with them but for what you wanna do, sleeves are all you will need and are jsut as tough. We put a set of sleeves on my buddies truck and he launched the hell out of it with t-bars cranked and after the dust settled, all was still good!

ill stick with my EXAXT kit though. only thing i know of that is damn near bullet proof

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
It shouldnt change the way you align right? lol. I'm not good with suspension/steering stuff, still learning this crap in class.

Sleeves will act like big jam nuts for the tie rod ends. If you count the turns it takes to unscrew the tierod end and screw them back on accordingly you wont need an alignment as someone mentioned.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
I run sleeves, pitman braces and straight centerlink.
Never had problems with steering.

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
How exactly does the sleeves work? I know you turn them onto the stock rod, but how does alignment work after the sleeves are installed? And just curious how hard is it to install them? Im thinkin about doing it during class

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
How exactly does the sleeves work? I know you turn them onto the stock rod, but how does alignment work after the sleeves are installed? And just curious how hard is it to install them? Im thinkin about doing it during class

Measure the distance your tie rod ends are on the shaft or count the turns when you take them off. If you take your time and are carefull you can get away without a alignment, I measured my buddies sleeves when we put them on and aparently did not pay enough attention becauser after we finished the truck had a ever so slight pull to the right. (Lesson Learned) :rolleyes: There an easy install and will probably only take you an hr or so assuming you are mechanically inclined and have the proper tools..

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Measure the distance your tie rod ends are on the shaft or count the turns when you take them off. If you take your time and are carefull you can get away without a alignment, I measured my buddies sleeves when we put them on and aparently did not pay enough attention becauser after we finished the truck had a ever so slight pull to the right. (Lesson Learned) :rolleyes: There an easy install and will probably only take you an hr or so assuming you are mechanically inclined and have the proper tools..

this will hopefully be done in class. Tools are available and i will have it on a lift if i get to do it in class

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
That's actually not true...

Yeah. That's why rock crawler guys will get DOM tubing and stuff it with solid stock. DOM isn't as strong but has memory while solid stock is stronger but no memory. Stuffed DOM equals best of both.