flexplate help

07metallicgreen

Nov 24, 2011
Smicksburg, PA
I need to buy a new flexplate for my build and I am lost on what I need or not. bd is the cheapest option, but I didn't know if it was worth it to go with a socal or something lighter

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Bd makes an insert but you reuse the cast iron piece. It is not sfi rated and it is illegal to run over 4000 or 4500 rpm in some classes.
Buy a suncoast or socal imho.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Andrew the flywheel on the right is for an internally balanced engine as it appears pretty uniform I think. But do all the holes affect the strength?
Or has it help some really big power already?

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
Andrew the flywheel on the right is for an internally balanced engine as it appears pretty uniform I think. But do all the holes affect the strength?
Or has it help some really big power already?

The flexplate wade sent us to look at that was in his truck was 3 pieces. The ring gear, the plate itself and the snout (center section) which was basically "free" floating. We actually used better matrial, and dropped weight. Time will tell on the longevity hense "race application only"

Last edited:

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The SFI Spec does not just mention strength, it is to be sure pieces do not fly off like a grenade.
I also know when I built my house, I drilled large holes in chunks of wood for pipes and wires. I was told that did not significantly affect strength.

I like the lightweight of it. I have never seen Mr. Moody's flexplate, but they one in your picture looks great.

What is the most torque, or weight/ power(track time you have put through one so far?
Any truck pullers using them?

03badmaxxx

Ghost Element
Mar 1, 2012
Mesa,AZ
www.facebook.com
The SFI Spec does not just mention strength, it is to be sure pieces do not fly off like a grenade.
I also know when I built my house, I drilled large holes in chunks of wood for pipes and wires. I was told that did not significantly affect strength.

I like the lightweight of it. I have never seen Mr. Moody's flexplate, but they one in your picture looks great.

What is the most torque, or weight/ power(track time you have put through one so far?
Any truck pullers using them?

Build a zero balance motor, Buy one and find out

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Build a zero balance motor, Buy one and find out

I have a zero balance engine.
I was interested in buying a lighter flywheel.
I am not interested in testing one out, I was looking for something with some time on it in this case.
I don't mind testing things out, I just have no interest in this instance.

Thanks for all the information and help with your product. I will keep an eye on it and see how things go.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Bump

What part of the stock unit is typically broken? The thicker toothed piece or the thinner piece on the outside?