Favorite tool thread

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
This isn't really a tool, but it is a very important piece of equipment for doing transmission rebuilds. It is a cooler flushing machine that gets out all the crap that goes into a cooler when a transmission fails. Here's a short video of it in action with a brief description of how it works and a picture of what came out of it on the first flush.

[youtube]ivr4zVkmISA[/youtube]

That thing is cool as heck Josh. Whats the price tag on one out of curiosity?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Any good 3/8 impact, snap off currently & a set of metric and std. wobble sockets... I took all my cordless stuff home, In my line of work there just not powerful enough, work great at the house though.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
Right now it is a close tie between my Makita impact driver and my Topside Creeper (man that thing saves your back).

That little Makita has plenty of ass for the majority of nuts/bolts that I encounter. It wont pull a lug nut off of course, but for smaller stuff it is so much faster.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Working graveyard shift, outside alot...this is my most useful tool. Turns night time into daytime. Eagle tac D25LC2. Runs off of 2 CR123's or 1-18650 Li-on batteries. Hard to beat eagle tac, you get a whole lot of light for their price tags. This one is about $55.

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
uploadfromtaptalk1437704377050.jpg

Kobalt 2ft swivel head ratchet and some good Ole PB blaster when you need some muscle with that can reach out and touch something

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1437704377050.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1437704377050.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 87

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I love my 3/4 drive high torque Milwaukee impact. If something really doesn't want to give I have a 42" 1" drive breaker bar. It weighs like 50 pounds.

Working graveyard shift, outside alot...this is my most useful tool. Turns night time into daytime. Eagle tac D25LC2. Runs off of 2 CR123's or 1-18650 Li-on batteries. Hard to beat eagle tac, you get a whole lot of light for their price tags. This one is about $55.

The d25 is a great light. You're right, can't really beat them for the money. Fenix is also a good bet. I mostly have surefire and olights though. Along with some custom ones.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Any good 3/8 impact, snap off currently & a set of metric and std. wobble sockets... I took all my cordless stuff home, In my line of work there just not powerful enough, work great at the house though.
Curious to see what you use out in the field though. Our excavators have some crazy bolts I can only imagine what you've got there. The 1" air impact usually takes everything off.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Curious to see what you use out in the field though. Our excavators have some crazy bolts I can only imagine what you've got there. The 1" air impact usually takes everything off.

Hytorc for the really stuck or tight stuff. 1" impact, Industrial IR titanium is a runner, although Atlas Copco is building a beast of a gun as well.

BlackPearl3500

Apr 6, 2014
Fredericksburg VA.
I've broken the snout off my fair share of those 1/2" kobalt flex head ratchets. My 1/2" harbor freight breaker bars long out lives them lol
I've broke one already but that's was cause it was on my buddy's trucks wheels and we were in a bind and that's all we had and wrenched the **** out of his lug nuts snapped it off on the first one but this one hasn't been to bad on the hard to reach bolts and old rusty ones I do have a breaker bar I use it for the real hard stuff

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Hytorc for the really stuck or tight stuff. 1" impact, Industrial IR titanium is a runner, although Atlas Copco is building a beast of a gun as well.
Which hytorc? Their new lithium guns look awesome. And powerful. Scared to know the $$ though.

You can always get a IR 588A1. It would be a cool impact to use and own. Except for the whole cost and practicality thing

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Which hytorc? Their new lithium guns look awesome. And powerful. Scared to know the $$ though.

You can always get a IR 588A1. It would be a cool impact to use and own. Except for the whole cost and practicality thing

Avanti 3, MXT 3, XLCT low profile unit, I think 3200ftlbs is the max on the MXT3? The Mill has some bigger ones but I have never needed larger, thankfully.

I have no idea what that lithium animal would cost but you can bet your ass you won't see me buying one.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
This isn't really a tool, but it is a very important piece of equipment for doing transmission rebuilds. It is a cooler flushing machine that gets out all the crap that goes into a cooler when a transmission fails. Here's a short video of it in action with a brief description of how it works and a picture of what came out of it on the first flush.

[youtube]ivr4zVkmISA[/youtube]
Where would a guy find a shop with one of these? Or how could you do this at home, or is that even possible?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Where would a guy find a shop with one of these? Or how could you do this at home, or is that even possible?

I'm not sure. You might try contacting the company and see if they have some sort of locator. I don't see how you would be able to replicate this at home.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Yea after I watched the video again I decided it'd be impossible at home. But I sure wish it was, be very interesting to see what would come out.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
The only thing I've done is hooked up the "from cooler" line to the "to cooler" fitting on the bell housing and left the "to cooler" line in a bucket, started the truck and turned on the high idle (g solenoid) for a few seconds. Shut off the truck add more fluid and repeat a few times.