Engine build

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
First of all, Chris, you've spent more money on your truck and done the most thorough full chassis "street build" I've ever witnessed on this forum...you're bound to run into some haters

Second, you've already had your share of issues with curious builds, that we all can relate to and feel for you, for...youre bound to run into people who are gonna criticize your judgment, especially when things dont turn out...didn't realize devildogs were allowed to be so thin skinned;)

Lastly- Its your trophy man, show it off when and where you want but realize not everyome will appreciate it, or you, like you want them to...such is life

I don't see how throwing a tantrum and calling out "this forum" as a whole, helps you make a point, shows your truck or helps you move forward, but rather shows and calls out your need for attention

Good luck, its a sick truck:thumb:

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
I still need a ride in that one Chris. Well maybe not, my funds won't let me build anything that awesome. How about just watching you make a couple of passes at Piedmont this Spring. I'm glad you hung on to it so now you can enjoy hammering on it.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
People are always going to hate on something they can't have. Happens every day, best to ignore you don't that kind of negativity in your life.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I love these kind of threads as much, if not more than the race car/truck build threads. I have borrowed a few of Chris's ideas and hope to implant some more of them on my futures builds. I am keeping plugging away at my builds one step at a time and hope I will have as much pride in it when I am done as you do in what you have created.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
It's nothing that was said in the open forum, it's stupid ass pms that people can't grow up in. I really don't care for the drama, so I'm opting out.
Just curious.....has Mark made any adjustments in tuning for these new injectors? If I remember right these were installed afterwards?

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
This crap is annoying. You can not "tune out" cold engine big injector haze. Unless you found a way to magically tune the engine to increase its temperature instantly.

It's not like he was driving in 80* weather and had been running for an hour. The truck wasn't hazing black, that was definitely a cold engine haze.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
This crap is annoying. You can not "tune out" cold engine big injector haze. Unless you found a way to magically tune the engine to increase its temperature instantly.

It's not like he was driving in 80* weather and had been running for an hour. The truck wasn't hazing black, that was definitely a cold engine haze.

Phil I'm not talking about the cold weather haze. Or tuning it out for that matter.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007

Yes you can. The ECM is full of "temperature modifiers" for this very reason.

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to point out that with time and careful adjustments these issues can be fixed.

Obviously there are limitations to everything. But simply saying "you can not tune it out", is a pretty bold statement that really just isn't true at all.

If it it runs good when it's warmed up, and your happy with it, then please just ignore me. I wouldn't be happy with that much haze from a vehicle I intend to drive on the street on a regular basis. So that is why I posted what I did.

To each there own.... ;)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
My set up runs great with no haze when the temp gauge is not buried on the cold side, the Trans temp was 32 deg in that pic. Yes I'm sure you could tune it out if all the sensors where there, but with what it is most of the oem temp Sensors and grid heaters where removed. I really don't care what anyone on here thinks abt my setup, Mark knows what he's doing on tuning it. If you want to build the same set up below are my specs, let me know how it does on cold start, without being plugged in. When it gets warm and there isn't snow covered streets I'll get a video of it going down the road and boost launched, I drive it when I can threw Washington DC traffic with now issues.

Engine: 6.6 duramax 1/2 filled block, LLY keyed crank, .20 over fingers coated oval bowel pistons 15.5:1 compression, Carrillo rods, SoCal 6480 alt firing order cam, billet rocker bridges, SoCal griddle, SoCal damper, SoCal billet flywheel, billet main caps, ported heads, Hamilton valve springs, rocker studs, ARP 625 head studs, main studs, billet injector hold down with stud kit, banana oil pan (not yellow), Jones racing vacuum pump, Wagler street intake.

Turbos: billet S475 TCT 87 1.0 housing / 2 billet S472 TCT 87 1.0 stainless V band housings, turbo smart 60mm waste gate, turbo smart blow off valve. Turbos where spec out by Shane and Landon built the kit.

Fuel: dual air dog 200 lift pumps, exergy 200% over LBZ injectors, PPE duel fuel kit, dual Exergy 10mm CP3's, LLY ported fuel rails.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Yes you can. The ECM is full of "temperature modifiers" for this very reason.

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just trying to point out that with time and careful adjustments these issues can be fixed.

Obviously there are limitations to everything. But simply saying "you can not tune it out", is a pretty bold statement that really just isn't true at all.

If it it runs good when it's warmed up, and your happy with it, then please just ignore me. I wouldn't be happy with that much haze from a vehicle I intend to drive on the street on a regular basis. So that is why I posted what I did.

To each there own.... ;)

You really are taking that picture out of context. That photo was shot a a moment when he was actually into the throttle more than he probably should have been. That is why it appears as much as it was. You can not tune that out. You may can make it a little better but not much. That is like saying you can tune his truck to not smoke at all and make power that hou could be happy with. His combination simple will not allow such things. It is extreme for a street truck period. I personally would like to know your credentials so to speak from the tuning aspect? I see you comment a ton in threads about the tuning is not right or it shouldn't be that way and such. Mark tuned that truck in person on his dyno and with those injectors in it at the time. With that being said, dyno tuning doesn't always make for the best street driving truck or that some aspects could not be better but Mark surely knows what he is doing. This is a cylinder temperature issue. Tuning can't fix that. There are no modifiers for cylinder temp. Ect temperature would be the closest to that and it can't cure that. What would you do to fix it short of pushing on the throttle less? Really walk us all through this so we may all learn something?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Mark is very VERY good at what he does. Not questioning his ability's at all here. I want that to be 100% clear!

But as you pointed out, Mark tuned it on the dyno. I am very confident that the truck runs great once warm. And, as you have stated, he was accelerating, and perhaps the photo makes it appear worse then it is.

But the discussion is about a cold engine, which Mark would not have had the ability to tune very much on. Cold start, and cold run has to be tuned when the engine is cold. I know this is obvious, but I say that because you typically only get one shot a day at making a change and seeing how it affects it. Possibly more depending on how long you run it, and cold the engine is. But once there is heat in the cylinder you can't actually see how a change affects operation. Even if the ECT is still low.

All the temperature modifiers also have to be adjusted AFTER you get the baseline tables dialed in correctly on a warm engine.....

And no, there is more then just the ECT modifiers you can use to enhance cold engine operation. There is also, IAT. Not to mention you have these modifiers for a whole host of tables that can make a very large impact on cold weather operation. Timing, rail pressure, pilot injection, etc.

Since everyone seems to agree that the main tables need to be adjusted when you run an injector that is larger then stock, why wouldn't the modifiers also need attention?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
And I should also point out that I did in fact assume he was just cruising in that picture or stopped and idling.

I definitely did not intend to ruffle anyone's feathers the way I seemed to have.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
And I should also point out that I did in fact assume he was just cruising in that picture or stopped and idling.

I definitely did not intend to ruffle anyone's feathers the way I seemed to have.

:cop:
Yeah, geez, is your name DICK, or what?
;)

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Mark is very VERY good at what he does. Not questioning his ability's at all here. I want that to be 100% clear!

But as you pointed out, Mark tuned it on the dyno. I am very confident that the truck runs great once warm. And, as you have stated, he was accelerating, and perhaps the photo makes it appear worse then it is.

But the discussion is about a cold engine, which Mark would not have had the ability to tune very much on. Cold start, and cold run has to be tuned when the engine is cold. I know this is obvious, but I say that because you typically only get one shot a day at making a change and seeing how it affects it. Possibly more depending on how long you run it, and cold the engine is. But once there is heat in the cylinder you can't actually see how a change affects operation. Even if the ECT is still low.

All the temperature modifiers also have to be adjusted AFTER you get the baseline tables dialed in correctly on a warm engine.....

And no, there is more then just the ECT modifiers you can use to enhance cold engine operation. There is also, IAT. Not to mention you have these modifiers for a whole host of tables that can make a very large impact on cold weather operation. Timing, rail pressure, pilot injection, etc.

Since everyone seems to agree that the main tables need to be adjusted when you run an injector that is larger then stock, why wouldn't the modifiers also need attention?
I typically would buy as Chris said he doesn't have all the sensors intact and they could not compensate enough to stop that from occurring. That is why I ask if you have a magical answer that would stop it.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I think y'all are splitting hairs and taking eacher out of context.

Maybe some of that haze can be tuned out I would look into it some. It sure in hell ain't bad. Lots of stock trucks smoke more then that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk