Eaton OH Pull

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
It's been shown that a true 2.6 restrictor TUBE (maintained 2.6 diameter for 3 inches) flows far less than a clipped wheel, altered MWE groove charger that is currently 2.6 legal.... last year tests were done and max effort on charger was over 900 RWHP, with the restrictor tube and tuning adjustments, it was down to 650 RWHP. That I believe is a good comprise for stocks drivelines and limits how much HP dollars will buy you on a custom charger.

There was a discussion last year on CompD between myself and others and there were posted dyno results. The issue was turbo alteration businesses, and those that spent big money on "loophole chargers", lobbied for the "loophole" rules on chargers instead of a fair limiting restrictor.....(no money to be made in it).

No other changes were made to those trucks. Tuning changes alone would have gotten some of that back. That and the guy pushing them is also the one who sells them.

This was an early pull. I'd be willing to bet the bitching gets worse when the trucks currently under the knife show up for the first points hooks around the country.

I like to pull but i'm tired of all this sh!t. :mad:

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
No other changes were made to those trucks. Tuning changes alone would have gotten some of that back. That's why I was asking McRat if he would be willing to test just swapping out the restrictor AND tune for the change to see how much could be gained back That and the guy pushing them is also the one who sells them (again, I can read between the lines, and is the reason many would not trust the validity of the results, I was looking for a nuetral party....) I would do it myself, but I just have a stock LBZ charger, not really a good test for what we are trying to find, and don't have access to a "known dyno".

This was an early pull. I'd be willing to bet the bitching gets worse when the trucks currently under the knife show up for the first points hooks around the country.

I like to pull but i'm tired of all this sh!t. :mad: So am I and so are alot of others. I'm not foolish to believe a restrictor would eliminate the bitching (in fact initially it may even create some), but in the long run I think it would get rid of a LARGE portion of it. Most of the heated discussions over the past 2-3 years in diesel truck pulling have been about turbos....

Just my thoughts...

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
We have a couple of options:

Let the bitching continue with the current rules.

Change the rules and keep them vauge (other areas for people to bitch at)

or

Try and do something about it to make it better

Maybe the restrictor isn't the solution, but so far it's the best viable option. Unless WE actually try to prove whether or not it works, it will never fly. I HAVE YET TO SEE SOMEONE PROVE THAT IT DOES NOT WORK. I am willing to do what I can to prove one way or another that it does or doesn't work. If someone proves to me it is not a viable option, then I will start looking somewhere else.

(This is not directed at anyone in particular) Everybody else can bitch, listen to the bitching, sit on their ass, mock those that try to find solutions, or doing nothing at all for all I care, but I don't like the way the sport is going and would like to at least TRY and make it better...

It would be great for a guy from Florida and a guy from California to go to a pull in Oaklahoma and nobody has to change a thing.......

Turbos aren't the only issue, but it is definitely the biggest one.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If folk are seriously interested in seeing what can be done with 2.6" tube restrictor, I can perhaps get Casper to the dyno and test. Probably won't be right away, it will wait until my next dyno session. I'll get the engine at max effort, then put in the restrictor and re-tune. Dunno what charger it will be, but it would be a big one.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Why does loophole and grey area chargers keep being brought up? There was nothing "grey area" or "loophole" as to why that specific turbo did not meet the rules. It was cut and dry.

The Restrictor tube has been tested, nobody seems interested. It was a good idea when 2.8 was still around to seperate the 2 classes, why seperate them now? 2.6 to 3.0 is a big enough gap in rules and power. Maybe some would be interested for a workstock class to keep people from building purpose built workstock trucks, but 2.6 is now the old 2.8, no need to restrict it.

itsjusmoney

Sep 19, 2010
baltimore, ohio
Alright forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why not just have the workstock class and make it stock turbos only? People could still get big into it and mod stock turbos but nobody would be making much more the 600hp and there would still be a class for younger guys trying to get into the sport without the funding to dive all the way in.

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
Alright forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why not just have the workstock class and make it stock turbos only? People could still get big into it and mod stock turbos but nobody would be making much more the 600hp and there would still be a class for younger guys trying to get into the sport without the funding to dive all the way in.

BOB was like this, with completely stock turbos, not sure if they are this year....it really played to the advantage of us dmax owners :D

They also let you hang weight in that workstock class, which is another plus.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You must be talking about BOB's IN circuit? Cause a couple CR dodges fairly well DOMINATED the BOB WS class down here in KY. There were a cpl dmaxes in the top 5 but very few wins if the two CR dodges showed up & didn't break. They're freakin stout!!!

Most places tho, the Dmax does in fact own the WS class. Especially when modified oem chargers (ie cheetahs) are allowed. That's not the case in BOB. they're stock unmodified, not just stock appearing.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
If folk are seriously interested in seeing what can be done with 2.6" tube restrictor, I can perhaps get Casper to the dyno and test. Probably won't be right away, it will wait until my next dyno session. I'll get the engine at max effort, then put in the restrictor and re-tune. Dunno what charger it will be, but it would be a big one.

That would be a great idea to see if you come up with the same results we came up with. Every truck I test the tube on it keeps them around 705hp no matter the size of the turbo. The bigger the turbo the bigger it hurts the power. You are taking the map groove out of the equation because all the air is passing though this opening so you are creating a pretty good vacuum in front of the compressor wheel and it kills the chargers ability to work efficiently and creates tons of heat. The only thing I didn't try it on was a 66mm turbo to see how it acts. Let me know if you need the sizing of this restrictor tube for your testing.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
That would be a great idea to see if you come up with the same results we came up with. Every truck I test the tube on it keeps them around 705hp no matter the size of the turbo. The bigger the turbo the bigger it hurts the power. You are taking the map groove out of the equation because all the air is passing though this opening so you are creating a pretty good vacuum in front of the compressor wheel and it kills the chargers ability to work efficiently and creates tons of heat. The only thing I didn't try it on was a 66mm turbo to see how it acts. Let me know if you need the sizing of this restrictor tube for your testing.

Ok, so lets say this works out good, and it does everything its suppose too, limits the class to 700hp ish. Now we have a 550hp workstock class, a 700hp 2.6 class and a 1300hp 3.0 class. Then everybody starts jumping from 2.6 to workstock so they can beat up on that class. I thought this was a really good idea when 2.8 was around, seperated them two, but now that its gone, its making 2 other class close together again and a huge jump to 3.0. I guess thats just my honest opinion, i think the classes have good seperation now.

duramaxxin73

Mar 5, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
No other changes were made to those trucks. Tuning changes alone would have gotten some of that back. That and the guy pushing them is also the one who sells them.

I like to pull but i'm tired of all this sh!t. :mad:

Oh the b*tching is going to get alot worse. They'll be alot of finger pointing and pissed off people this year. I'm like you I like to pull, but I'm tired of this sh!t as well.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
I have talked to a few of the guys around here the schied built ford is going 3.0 and I heard that they bought another 3.0 truck not sure if it was the green 3.0 dodge from TARR pulling or not, I seen josh mosley in town the other night there dodge is going 3.0 and as far as the 2.6 trucks most of them is biting the bullet and getting the protruding turbos, I dont care what rules you have or plan on making there is always a loop hole somebody will find, I have had more fun building a 466 for a friend to drop in 4010 John Deere then I have messing with my own truck

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
For something that is done for "fun" and or a hobby with not a lot to gain monetarily mostly bragging rights with a significant cash investment in these rigs there is some serious key board fighting and mud slinging. :D

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
You must be talking about BOB's IN circuit? Cause a couple CR dodges fairly well DOMINATED the BOB WS class down here in KY. There were a cpl dmaxes in the top 5 but very few wins if the two CR dodges showed up & didn't break. They're freakin stout!!!

Most places tho, the Dmax does in fact own the WS class. Especially when modified oem chargers (ie cheetahs) are allowed. That's not the case in BOB. they're stock unmodified, not just stock appearing.

I was talking about stock turbo sizing.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Ok, so lets say this works out good, and it does everything its suppose too, limits the class to 700hp ish. Now we have a 550hp workstock class, a 700hp 2.6 class and a 1300hp 3.0 class. Then everybody starts jumping from 2.6 to workstock so they can beat up on that class. I thought this was a really good idea when 2.8 was around, seperated them two, but now that its gone, its making 2 other class close together again and a huge jump to 3.0. I guess thats just my honest opinion, i think the classes have good seperation now.

While in the ideal world we would have 6 classes all 200HP apart and lots of choices, the world isn't perfect. It would also be nice if the OEM driveline could withstand anything we threw at it, but it won't.

There comes a point where OEM driveline dictates where a logical break should be and that's where there will be a HUGE jump in HP (if you think about it logically, it only makes sense).

Watching gasser classes in the past tells us that at a certain HP (and alot less torque), the OEM driveline does not hold up. The issue becomes as the HP "creeps up" guys slowly upgrade parts. A driveshaft here, a yoke, there, a beefier axleshaft, etc. until the ENTIRE driveline is aftermarket BEEFY parts. Yes, certain guys will be able to throw just about anything at it with a x.x charger, but add up the bills and you will find open driveline would have been cheaper from the start. Guys who have been in it for years spread that cost out and it doesn't seem like a big deal to them, but those wanting to get in and compete have to shell out the money for a strong engine, but also for each and every upgraded driveline component (if not a busted axle off the line at ONE pull can take you out of the points). It becomes a stagnant class or a class for deep pockets. It actually gets to the point where it less HP, but costs more money than the class above it. That's not good for the class or the sport. The only ones it benefits is the guys currently in it and "up to date" in the upgraded parts department, which is selfish. Many guys like it though as it limits the competition.....less guys they have to worry about.

The guys in 2.8 found out that the OEM drivelines weren't up to the task (without a ton of bigger and/or aftermarket parts), and that was with old turbo technology. Some of the new protrusion 2.6 chargers are right where the old 2.8's were......

Think about how many 2.6 guys have already had to install large diameter rear axles, upgraded driveshafts (with bigger yokes), upgraded transmissions, etc. etc. I even think I saw a front axleshaft GRENADE on a DMAX in the Eaton video. Where does it stop. And as you know, once you give pullers an inch, they don't like to give it up. Easier to limit it now and take a little away, then to try to take a bunch away later.

Lets learn from other's past mistakes instead of repeating them.........