Duraflite in an LMM?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Harbin_22 I've been toying with the same idea about a built 48re. My allison has every billet part in it besides billet intermedeate shaft. I think it would be right around a grand to 1500 out of pocket if i got a decent price from the built allison, bt lockup box, and the tcm

That's why I am asking myself this question. If you go all out on the Allison, it costs a lot of money, if you go all out on the 48, it costs a lot of money but will shift when it is told to and I personally feel they will last longer. I will be talking with Kory and Calvin's soon

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Any new news on the 48re? at one time there were just no parts available to make it hold the torque. I thought Mike may be working on something but havn't heard anything lately.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
They're not too bad if you don't mind whiplash. I would never put one in a street truck.

no kidding. i rode in my buddies fully build dodge thats right around 800hp. WOT is great, anything else and its like you get rear ended every time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
maybe he had some screwed up chet or im just accustom to the allison but there aint no way id dd that trans my buddy drives

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
They are old technology. just watching lees lly go into reverse or into drive makes me cringe. It engages hard. It no doubt shifts great at wide open throttle but it also shifts with close to the same pressure at every other throttle position which just makes its uncomfortable to daily drive.

You'd probably end up spending about the same if not more once you get it up a running.

Good luck.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I got fed up with my built Allison in White Out back in 2010, was a mess, even snapped a billet input shaft just driving down the street. Bought and installed a Duraflite, but we smoked the one in Max'd Out even before we had the one in White Out fully running, so pulled it and used it in Max'd Out. Had Mike build me an Allison and haven't had any trouble since. Just had it refreshed and a new TC this spring. Mind you I don't run it full out very often anymore and it doesn't see to much street time either. I did drive it back to Brainerd and to Edmonton however. If you like really firm shifts the Duraflite is great, I'm with Jerry not too sure it would be much fun to drive on the street and have no idea if you tried to tow with it how it would work. The input shafts get too looking like a twisted pretzel and the fast shafts have been TC eaters. Not sure if they have ever gotten that fixed.

Harpin once you have shelled out for two or three built motors because you hot rodded them too much, your need for speed/power dampens quickly. :D

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
Ours slam pretty damn hard, brad described the one that's going in my race truck as "wear your mouthpiece so you don't knock your teeth out on the steering wheel, you aren't breaking my shit" lol!!!

With the PCS, it can be very street able, however.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I wish I could run a 48re in my truck. Ya they shift hard but I don't see much if any threads where Cummins guys say "Oh man my trans shifts to hard" they are predictable, and they shift quick.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
I don't think he's talking about a ZF6. He's talking about a manual valvebody in an auto trans.

He's not but the ECM and Tcm is what he's talking about. I referenced the zf6 as there is no Tcm to operate it. :thumb: and the truck would need to be programmed to act like a zf6 truck

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Like Ken said, many allisons out there 1000+ and if properly built i think they can handle it but after seeing maxd out 47 and how perfect it looks after a full season at WELL over 1000+. 47 is the way to go if make big power and want it to really last.

that being said, my allison looked perfect after all last season even with some 10 sec passes on it but if it goes this season, ill will be strongly considering a 47.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
stabilitrak (uh-oh!!) and cruise control might not work. And if you have an electric-shift xfer case, 4wd low might not work (no TCM to send a message to the TCSM that trans is in neutral or park). Door locks might go wonky with no P/N status being broadcast by the TCM to the BCM.

Or I guess you could keep the TCM wired in, and IMS logic circuit wires grounded in the proper fashion to fool the TCM into thinking the trans is in park.

You might have to keep the TCM in there anyways though, for the speedometer. I dont know if the LMM ECM cal will accept a variable-reluctance speed sensor reading directly (like on factory 01-06 ZF6 trucks), or if it will only accept the replicated TOSS from the TCM.

You would also need to do a little wiring as far as a neutral safety switch, if your tracks tech inspection requires that.

No reason it couldnt be made to work though, at the expense of some features and minor quirks.

Ben