Duck the MANN or throw in the towel?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’m so disgusted that I’m seriously thinking about selling and getting an lb7 too.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
GM might supply the base vehicle under a contract but the beast was likely done at a coach builder. I don't know which one, but there are a few that have special government contracts. I would imagine they spec'd it a certain way and then the coach builder brought kori in to do the tuning when it was done.

Didn't Duratothemax - Duraburb guy build a few new Diesel's Suburban's for the GOV a few years back? I would imagine when they were completed they went for Armor upfitting at another govt contractor.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
GM might supply the base vehicle under a contract but the beast was likely done at a coach builder. I don't know which one, but there are a few that have special government contracts. I would imagine they spec'd it a certain way and then the coach builder brought kori in to do the tuning when it was done.

Didn't Duratothemax - Duraburb guy build a few new Diesel's Suburban's for the GOV a few years back? I would imagine when they were completed they went for Armor upfitting at another govt contractor.
I thought I read that GM actually got the contract to build it and used a Kodiak frame or something. they may have subbed out the cab work bit they would have no reason to contract out the engine or tuning

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
If we truly think about it, i get where all this is coming from.... yes we shouldn't be driving out "race vehicles" down the street. Id be alot happier about this whole thing if they went after the end user and not the guys making the products. The guys are just making cool stuff, and we are miss using it. Agree to diagree if youd like, but its a shame to me. As far as i am concerned.... the performance industry always makes the best of the best products and innovates technology. So why stop that, why stop progress, improvements, new data and education of how things work. Makes no sense to me!

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If we truly think about it, i get where all this is coming from.... yes we shouldn't be driving out "race vehicles" down the street. Id be alot happier about this whole thing if they went after the end user and not the guys making the products. The guys are just making cool stuff, and we are miss using it. Agree to diagree if youd like, but its a shame to me. As far as i am concerned.... the performance industry always makes the best of the best products and innovates technology. So why stop that, why stop progress, improvements, new data and education of how things work. Makes no sense to me!
Just my opinion, but I would say its more Profitable to go after business rather than individuals.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
This is why I went LB7. No emissions, no headaches.
The libtards are ruining this planet faster than my diesel ever will.
I agree, as much as I love my diesel trucks and being able to modify them... they are the least of our worries right now. Its just a very small piece of somethin much bigger going on.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

But if the vehicle can burn cleaner and make more power, why isn’t that allowed.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Because its about control just like the rest of this mess going on. Before this is over even if it takes 50 more years(not likely) your going to be told where you can live, what career is best suited for you, how many kids your allowed to have, how many groceries and necessities you can use each week, and youll be driving an electric car which they can turn off with the push of a button if they even let you drive it, they will probably just do the driving for you by then.. they can already control big companies like GM easily, but it's coming down to mom and pop shops now. Just tightening the noose little by little but its gettin there. I believe my generation will 100% see a cashless society worldwide, were almost there. Then all the loopholes in the tax system will go away, you WILL pay taxes every time a dollar is earned or spent, they will know every little thing you do. This country would be far better off if our children were in school studying "history" instead of atheism, or trying to figure out what gender they are or want to be. But they got us there too, how? Cause its FREE, so they teach em whatever they want. They are shaping this nation little by little and have been for years. To get somethin pushed all you have to do is make it "convenient", and its gets ate up. Guilty myself, but its costing us now. I absolutely hate the phrase "but teslas are so cool"

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
This kind of stuff drives me crazy. I do utility work in Maryland. Believe me a deleted truck isn't killing the environment. Just for an example, there is back to back coal plants in Maryland, Brandon shores and Wagner power plants. Combined they burn 4.8 MILLION tons of coal annually, there are currently 230 operational coal plants in the US alone. To think that any state has the balls to go after someone for a deleted truck is outrageous....

Reactions: juddski88 and N2BRK

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
i am pretty large in the snowmobile industry, do alot of volunteering to provide trails to the end users of snowmobiles. They come from the factory with compliant quiet exhaust. And one of the largest problems we have on our trial system is people who put aftermarket exhaust systems on there snowmobiles and ride irresponsibly on trails in neighbor hoods..... and be mindful, these trails are us asking people to use there land with no money or incentive in saying yes. Moving forward, we put out facebook post time after time, day after day and clowns still come out swinging with loud exhaust systems on their sleds. Know what we do, simply call the dec or the local sheriffs department. Very kindly ask them to park there cars on a certain road crossing on a Friday night and look out for loud exhaust. And the state has increased the loud exhaust ticket tremendously in the last couple of years, id like to say its around 1000 dollars now for a loud exhaust ticket. To say the least, things have cooled off tremendously around here with aftermarket exhaust systems. Still get the guys that dont care, and they get tickets and pay them. But people are starting to get the picture and understand the consequences. Either comply, get ticketed and or you might get a trail closed down.

Obviously i know its much much different for us, as we pay taxes and we in a nutshell pay to drive our vehicles that we paid for ... to drive down the road. But, i think some pretty strict 1 year state inspections on these vehicles, including sniffers and so on so forth would correct the miss use of these product. If emissions is that big of a deal, make it the same across the country for each state. Simple, and the private sector will correct the the private sector.

Look how far elon musk has come with technology versus the apollo program. Hes gotten farther, way more technology and its like 10 times the machine.... it can also be reused lol.

Reactions: 660catman

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
This kind of stuff drives me crazy. I do utility work in Maryland. Believe me a deleted truck isn't killing the environment. Just for an example, there is back to back coal plants in Maryland, Brandon shores and Wagner power plants. Combined they burn 4.8 MILLION tons of coal annually, there are currently 230 operational coal plants in the US alone. To think that any state has the balls to go after someone for a deleted truck is outrageous....

Yet we as a country are against nuclear................. Sure, they have greater risks than a coal or natural gas plant BUT they are far more energy dense and only need refueling every 1-2 decades. The waste produced is easily stored, look at what SKB is doing in Sweden, they're storing nuclear waste in bedrock underground and can handle ~100,000yrs of nuclear waste. Obviously as power needs increase that likely will decrease due to the amount of nuclear plants likely climbing to meet those needs.

Why can't we in the USA do the same? It's honestly kind of sad......

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Yet we as a country are against nuclear................. Sure, they have greater risks than a coal or natural gas plant BUT they are far more energy dense and only need refueling every 1-2 decades. The waste produced is easily stored, look at what SKB is doing in Sweden, they're storing nuclear waste in bedrock underground and can handle ~100,000yrs of nuclear waste. Obviously as power needs increase that likely will decrease due to the amount of nuclear plants likely climbing to meet those needs.

Why can't we in the USA do the same? It's honestly kind of sad......

People are scared of everything and there’s probably more money scamming people with wind and solar

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think that's the biggest issue. I got a quote for solar on my small house and was blow away with a ~60k quote.

I know I can do it myself for ~1/6th the price with the output.
the catch is they won't let you hook it to the grid because you didn't use one of their "approved" contractors. from what I've been reading it's nearly impossible to do it yourself even if you get all the permits and paperwork signed off unless you know someone on the inside that can push the magic button to allow you to get connected or have your system turned on.

looks like the best alternative is to do a hybrid or isolated system with batteries and start moving some of the loads off the city power and onto your system. slowly move as move as possible so your bill doesn't drop too fast to throw up red flags. then just keep the meter on and have only the "connection" charge but have nothing going back into the grid and no net metering

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
the catch is they won't let you hook it to the grid because you didn't use one of their "approved" contractors. from what I've been reading it's nearly impossible to do it yourself even if you get all the permits and paperwork signed off unless you know someone on the inside that can push the magic button to allow you to get connected or have your system turned on
Which is insane. If an electrician signs off on it, what's the difference? There is nothing stopping you from hooking everything up to the house, the issue comes with trying to put the 240v input into the inverter instead of the breaker panel. If someone is doing a complete off-grid setup they can't do anything about it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Which is insane. If an electrician signs off on it, what's the difference? There is nothing stopping you from hooking everything up to the house, the issue comes with trying to put the 240v input into the inverter instead of the breaker panel. If someone is doing a complete off-grid setup they can't do anything about it.
nope. many if not all cities have laws that prevent people from disconnecting from the grid. some BS about "standards of living"

you can do all the work yourself and reduce your electric bills but don't backfeed the grid unless you get the final approval from the utility company. some inverters will allow you to set the % sent back. set to 0% and you will likely fly under the radar unless you dropped the load too quickly. then they may think you are steeling power and come out to investigate. if everything was permitted and signed off there may not be anything they can do.

only real drawback is no net metering for further savings but with the way most new contracts are being written. there is little net metering advantage nowadays. most utilities are limiting the amount you can pump back into the grid with less and less payback the more you provide. utilities are hurting with small margins, high fuel costs, environmentalists, epa, wind and solar not penciling out as they where told, etc. they are now looking to limit as much payments as possible. unless you are grandfathered in to an old contract that gives good payback it's probably not worth it anymore

also getting any discounts or subsidies for the system also requires one of their "approved" contractors which often pocket much of the savings all while overcharging for the system. it's amazing how we can put the whole system in for a fraction of the cost without any government subsidies but can't get it connected or net metering unless you pay out the nose. it's a big racket for sure

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
nope. many if not all cities have laws that prevent people from disconnecting from the grid. some BS about "standards of living"

you can do all the work yourself and reduce your electric bills but don't backfeed the grid unless you get the final approval from the utility company. some inverters will allow you to set the % sent back. set to 0% and you will likely fly under the radar unless you dropped the load too quickly. then they may think you are steeling power and come out to investigate. if everything was permitted and signed off there may not be anything they can do.

only real drawback is no net metering for further savings but with the way most new contracts are being written. there is little net metering advantage nowadays. most utilities are limiting the amount you can pump back into the grid with less and less payback the more you provide. utilities are hurting with small margins, high fuel costs, environmentalists, epa, wind and solar not penciling out as they where told, etc. they are now looking to limit as much payments as possible. unless you are grandfathered in to an old contract that gives good payback it's probably not worth it anymore

also getting any discounts or subsidies for the system also requires one of their "approved" contractors which often pocket much of the savings all while overcharging for the system. it's amazing how we can put the whole system in for a fraction of the cost without any government subsidies but can't get it connected or net metering unless you do it their way. it's a big racket for sure
Exactly. I need to really get started on this before massive changes occur. I truthfully could care less if I got any $ back from the power company, I would only do it myself to help offset my energy costs as well as to help lessen the tax on the grid overall.

I fear that if we don't do this as a society we will end up with other issues. It appears our government can't comprehend the concept that the grid itself cannot handle all these electrical loads they want to put on it like electric cars/electric big rigs and only want to offer solutions to the petroleum crisis instead of actually looking where the next problems will arise.

Lets compare the emission output/harm to the environment from our coal/natural gas power plants and compare them to vehicles, I bet we'd see a MAJOR improvement (hell maybe even solve our problem) if our country was mostly nuclear power with only coal/natural gas as a backup option.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I have a feeling in a number of years we will come full circle and start using nuclear power for a bulk of our needs. I just hope it come sooner rather than later which I think is more likely.

nuclear power really is the only true green energy. lowest environmental impact overall. more then 2000% less deaths then fossil fuel based energy plants. next best is hydroelectric plants which also have the benefit of capturing more water that can help get us through droughts, provides more resources for wildlife and recreational opportunities. but here in California and many other states the environmentalists have blocked building those too