Question: dome light ground location?

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
Obviously, I'm not helping much here, but, one more test.

With the truck in gear, does cycling the dome override button 4 pushes defeat the DRLs?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
nope same thing guess im SOL. i could either try to find 1 out of a wrecked truck or maybe rig up a switch to turn it on/off manually

yup, sounds like shes no go on that end. but if thats the only thing thats not workin right, do what i posted below. should make them work like and/or close to factory

leave the gray/black stripe wire unplugged and jsut splice it into the dark blue wire (spot A8) on the C1 connector (its one of the outer two but i dont remember which one that is but A8 will have a dark blue wire) using, what i prefer, a scotch lock. should work just like factory untill the BCM really goes under but those things aint cheap

it will use the inadv pwr relay ground wire that the BCM uses to switch ground. Since we know your inadv pwr relay works correctly from the BCM, this will activate your courtsy lamp relay as well as from what i can see, you have to have both to make the lamps work. It may defeat the override though. wont hurt anything to do it this way so it cant hurt to try

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
oh i didnt think it would work but i will try that tomorrow. i tried the overide deal and it works so i will give this a shot, if that dont work i guess i will just rig something up, i didnt have a problem riggin crap up on my beater trucks but this is by far the nicest truck i've had so thats why i tried to pinpoint the problem, know what i mean, anyways thanks again!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
oh i didnt think it would work but i will try that tomorrow. i tried the overide deal and it works so i will give this a shot, if that dont work i guess i will just rig something up, i didnt have a problem riggin crap up on my beater trucks but this is by far the nicest truck i've had so thats why i tried to pinpoint the problem, know what i mean, anyways thanks again!

yup but it will get you by till you can get another. i hate when things screw up like that so if i can make it work till i can get another, i try that route.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
on mine there isnt a wire in the A8 spot on either of the outside ones but my diagram shows the 1 you are talking about, and i do have a dark blue wire but its in the A7 connector i will double check again to make sure im not halucinating!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
After looking at that diagram, it looks to me like some creative wiring could get you set up and working around the BCM. See the attached wiring diagram I modified for you. All you need is one relay. This should have it working with the dome lamp override and everything.

Attachments

• rewire.jpg
    rewire.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 11

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
After looking at that diagram, it looks to me like some creative wiring could get you set up and working around the BCM. See the attached wiring diagram I modified for you. All you need is one relay. This should have it working with the dome lamp override and everything.

umm one little thing i see though josh. How is the ppl wire gunna supply ground if the dome override switch is not activated? or was your plan to have him turn the switch on for it to work and just use the switch in reverse? great idea though. i was hopin that INADV relay would turn off when the key went to run or when the doors were shut, apprently not lol

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i'll try to comprehend this and make it work thanks josh!
Basically, what you need to do is get a SPST relay. Tie all the triggers (both door switches and the dimmer switch) and run them to the ground side of the relay coil. Then tap into a power wire for one of your dome lights and run it to the power side of the coil. Next, tap into the dome lamp override and run it to the common side of the relay. Finally, take the CTSY LP RLY trigger wire and run it to the NO switched side of the relay.

umm one little thing i see though josh. How is the ppl wire gunna supply ground if the dome override switch is not activated? or was your plan to have him turn the switch on for it to work and just use the switch in reverse? great idea though. i was hopin that INADV relay would turn off when the key went to run or when the doors were shut, apprently not lol
Assuming the open position of the switch makes the dome lights work, yes, that is what would happen. The other option would be to swap the dome lamp defeat switch to the coil of the new relay and run the dimmer and door switches to the NC terminal of the relay.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Assuming the open position of the switch makes the dome lights work, yes, that is what would happen. The other option would be to swap the dome lamp defeat switch to the coil of the new relay and run the dimmer and door switches to the NC terminal of the relay.

Well if im seein the schematic right, the switch will have to be in the "on"/closed position or like your activating the dome light override. the wire you have hooked to that will have no ground till you push it in. technically, all it will do is make the switch work in reverse. if you turn the dome override sitch off it will tune the dome light off and visa versa if you turn the switch on. atleast thats what im seein

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well if im seein the schematic right, the switch will have to be in the "on"/closed position or like your activating the dome light override. the wire you have hooked to that will have no ground till you push it in. technically, all it will do is make the switch work in reverse. if you turn the dome override sitch off it will tune the dome light off and visa versa if you turn the switch on. atleast thats what im seein
That's what I said :confused:

Like you, I'm assuming the BCM needs to see a ground no that wire to deactivate the dome lights. So yes, if wired up like I drew it, the switch would work in reverse unless you wired it like I explained in the second post. Either way, I don't think it would make much difference.

If you don't care about the dome lamp override, you could just tie all the dome light switches directly to the ground for the dome light relay.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's what I said :confused:

Like you, I'm assuming the BCM needs to see a ground no that wire to deactivate the dome lights. So yes, if wired up like I drew it, the switch would work in reverse unless you wired it like I explained in the second post. Either way, I don't think it would make much difference.

If you don't care about the dome lamp override, you could just tie all the dome light switches directly to the ground for the dome light relay.

my bad, i was takin "open position of the switch" as in the dome override switch was not activated. :hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
my bad, i was takin "open position of the switch" as in the dome override switch was not activated. :hug:
I did mean not activated, but I was talking about in the stock system. As in the switch has to be open for the dome lights to work when they are controlled through the BCM.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I did mean not activated, but I was talking about in the stock system. As in the switch has to be open for the dome lights to work when they are controlled through the BCM.

aaahhhh that makes more sense now.