Question: dome light ground location?

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
After looking at that diagram, it looks to me like some creative wiring could get you set up and working around the BCM. See the attached wiring diagram I modified for you. All you need is one relay. This should have it working with the dome lamp override and everything.

so am i splicing into these wires or what? i will have a better understanding when i print this out so i will try to figure it out and probably ask you 300 more questions, im glad theres some smart guys on here, i've learned a lot in 2 months from this forum.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
so am i splicing into these wires or what? i will have a better understanding when i print this out so i will try to figure it out and probably ask you 300 more questions, im glad theres some smart guys on here, i've learned a lot in 2 months from this forum.

splicing in should work. Your only tapping into grounds on the door jam switches and the grey/black stripe wire i had you remove before and runnin 1 power wire from 86 to a + powered dome light/courtsy light.

in other words.

86 to + powered dome light/courtsy light
85 to dark blue/white stripe, orange, and tan wires on the C3 connector
30 to grey/black stripe wire i had you pull on the C1
87 to purple wire on the C3
87A put no wires on it

make sure to push the dome override button on (so it stays in) and all should work correctly, turing the dome override button off (button stays out) will make the dome lights turn off.

the diag shows the number the wire is in in each connector ie A8, B6, so on.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
splicing in should work. Your only tapping into grounds on the door jam switches and the grey/black stripe wire i had you remove before and runnin 1 power wire from 86 to a + powered dome light/courtsy light.

in other words.

86 to + powered dome light/courtsy light
85 to dark blue/white stripe, orange, and tan wires on the C3 connector
30 to grey/black stripe wire i had you pull on the C1
87 to purple wire on the C3
87A put no wires on it

make sure to push the dome override button on (so it stays in) and all should work correctly, turing the dome override button off (button stays out) will make the dome lights turn off.

the diag shows the number the wire is in in each connector ie A8, B6, so on.

so could i just get the power from the little courtesy lamp thats right there under kick panel close to the E-brake? if thats the case thats not to bad.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
so could i just get the power from the little courtesy lamp thats right there under kick panel close to the E-brake? if thats the case thats not to bad.

on the wires that need to come from the bcm would you splice them or pull them out of the bcm and do it that way, not sure what way i should do it?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would probably pull all the wires loose from the BCM harness, except the dome override (since it also kills the auto headlamps). I wouldn't want any weird BCM problems to cause problems with the relay used to work around it.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
I would probably pull all the wires loose from the BCM harness, except the dome override (since it also kills the auto headlamps). I wouldn't want any weird BCM problems to cause problems with the relay used to work around it.

the only wire i cant seem to find is the orange one B2

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
well i wired her up and it seems to be working fine the only thing i didnt find was that orange one b2 i seen an orange wire on the the far right connector its in b5 though so i dont know but other than that it works so im not gonna complain! thanks a lot guys couldn't have done it without ya!!:hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Glad it's working. Does it work when you open both doors? The orange wire is supposed to be for the right door, but if it works without it, it must be wired a little different than that diagram shows.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
Glad it's working. Does it work when you open both doors? The orange wire is supposed to be for the right door, but if it works without it, it must be wired a little different than that diagram shows.

it doesnt work for the passenger side cuz i couldnt find that orange wire, i can always connect that wire later if i ever find it though. other than that it works just like you said in reverse with the dome override in. shear genious!!!!:thumb:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm glad I could help. I couldn't have done it without that wiring diagram James posted. It was a group effort :thumb:

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
the only glitch is that the 20 minute accessory doesnt shut off when i open the drivers door when i i open the pass side it does i think because i didnt hook that one up

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
the only glitch is that the 20 minute accessory doesnt shut off when i open the drivers door when i i open the pass side it does i think because i didnt hook that one up
Oh yeah, I guess you should have just tapped into the door wire instead of cut it. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Oh yeah, I guess you should have just tapped into the door wire instead of cut it. That hadn't even crossed my mind.

yeah, come on now josh! even i knew that...........

lol :D :hug: i didnt think of that either