Question: dome light ground location?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
no they dont, but my map lights work when i turn them on through the little push button
That's because the buttons apply a ground independent of the BCM. It sounds like either your BCM isn't grounding, or the wire has lost connection to the BCM.

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
better tell you guys this but the underside of my dash is all white like corroded u guys ever seen that? so where is the bcm is it the thing i was looking at when i had the switch out on the left side of colum kinda back in there a ways?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's because the buttons apply a ground independent of the BCM. It sounds like either your BCM isn't grounding, or the wire has lost connection to the BCM.

:Ditto:

better tell you guys this but the underside of my dash is all white like corroded u guys ever seen that? so where is the bcm is it the thing i was looking at when i had the switch out on the left side of colum kinda back in there a ways?

never seen white stuff like your sayin. If you remove the kick panel below and look at the bottom of the silver metal plate thats bolted in you will see 3 plugs goin into the computer. make sure all the wires are all pushed firmly into place or give them a wiggle and see if you lights turn on. Id also check to make sure the ground the BCM uses is not loose and clean (no corrosion). If you decide to pull the BCM out, make sure you unplug the 4 connection behind BCM as well (can be hard to see and undo

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
thanks guys i will check it out and let u no! ya all the steel under my dash is all corroded its really weird it looks like a battery that has corrosion all over the post i'll try to get some pictures

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
took the BCM out unplugged it cleaned it wiggled wires, didnt do anything and there was only plugs on the side that faces the driver seat(3). and it isnt grounded to the body because its plastic and the bracket is plastic to. not sure where it grounds to. anyways its probably the switch? i think?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
took the BCM out unplugged it cleaned it wiggled wires, didnt do anything and there was only plugs on the side that faces the driver seat(3). and it isnt grounded to the body because its plastic and the bracket is plastic to. not sure where it grounds to. anyways its probably the switch? i think?

the BCM doesnt ground through its self. it uses separate ground wires going to the body to complete the circuit.

I cant say its the switch nor the BCM as i dont have enough info to say so.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
the BCM doesnt ground through its self. it uses separate ground wires going to the body to complete the circuit.

I cant say its the switch nor the BCM as i dont have enough info to say so.
Do you have any wiring diagrams that show the interior lights that you could post?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
OK this is what I have so far
all is taken from back with 8 pins on top

T8-B6 control internal light

With inside light override out
All Positions
T5 - T7 Variable
T5 - T6 Variable opposite of T5- T7

Parking light position and Headlight on

B2 - B3

With inside light override in

Auto Position B1 -B3

I have an extra headlight switch that has a bad dimmer control in it. If you want to pay shipping, I will ship it to you. If you have a good dimmer portion, it is 5 solder connections to replace that portion of the controller.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you have any wiring diagrams that show the interior lights that you could post?

ill see if i can. im gettin them off Michell on demand and im not sure how get them to save so i can post them so you guys can see them well enough

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
k so i got ahold of some bcm and interior lighting diagrams, found the stupid relay checked it its good found that the ground is not working to the relay, so i traced the wire up 2 the bcm and now i just need to find out exactly whats wrong. if the bcm ground wasnt working then wouldnt everything that the bcm controls not work? or is the connection where the relay ground wire goes into the bcm?:confused:

Durascrap02

Aug 7, 2010
Yankton, SD
i grounded the relay to see if the lights come on they did they all work, but they dont shut off cuz like you guys said their switched to ground so im thinking its the bcm itself maybe?:confused: anybody have any thoughts?

heymccall

Aug 24, 2009
Why don't you just change the blown fuse???

TBC 2B (15 amp/ blue) in the interior fuse panel. BTW, I'll bet your reverse lamps are out, too.

If that one's good, check all the fuses that start with TBC.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Why don't you just change the blown fuse???

TBC 2B (15 amp/ blue) in the interior fuse panel. BTW, I'll bet your reverse lamps are out, too.

If that one's good, check all the fuses that start with TBC.

hes having a ground activation problem, not a power supply issue.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i grounded the relay to see if the lights come on they did they all work, but they dont shut off cuz like you guys said their switched to ground so im thinking its the bcm itself maybe?:confused: anybody have any thoughts?
Have you checked to see if the ground is actually activating at the BCM pin for the interior lights? Did you do a continuity check on the wire from the BCM to the relay?