Info: DIY VGT build

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
That's a port but not much polish as far as I can tell. Not knocking anyone's work here just from what I can see. Here are some of mine that Russell did.

0cdd9053e82cf36699e6d12dd89f860d.jpg

9fecf55363baff0b62e626ecb5b347a1.jpg

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Russell has a mill, I have a die grinder. He can make it smoother from the get go which helps alot...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

blownblue

Oct 22, 2008
Acme, WA
Flap wheels make easy work of smoothing bores out pretty.. I use on die grinders all the time, but could use a drill if need be.

6b0fb6441fa021f824b323ce4bf146f1.jpg
[/IMG]

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
Mine is a 4094.

I'm not talking about the actual port job. It looks good. I'm talking about the polish. The smoother the better. Russell uses an end grider/ die grinder to port his as well.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
He uses a die grinder on the up pipes and then to taper the end of turbine area. I talk to the guy enough. I know the smoother the better I spent plenty of time getting it that far but honestly I bet it still flows just fine

valleyduramax

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa ON Canada
From the pics, it looks as though the exhaust housing outlet is being machined to one diameter. Shouldn't there be a step left so that the down pipe ID can match the outlet ID? That's what I did with mine. Just curious

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Looks good to me Minerigger! I don't think the mirror polish finish really adds much, it's more about the size and smooth transitions. :thumb:

gamudslinger88

Aug 26, 2011
No offense was intended. My personal opinion the more smooth the transitions and smooth the walls the better. Ridges and rough edges create hot spots and turbulence. Why not go ahead and put a nice polish on it. Just my opinion and not knocking anyone's workmanship.

Frankin_truck

Nov 22, 2013
I am sure after a few good pulls that nice smooth surface will be covered with soot making it not so polished. So why spend all the time to make it perfectly polished. I think like said before smooth transition and increased size is the ticket. This is only my opinion

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I tapered best I could. There are a few spots that are high so im going to try and even it all up

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
The exhaust side doesn't need to be shiny like that 4094 turned out. Some times they do, some times they don't. If the casting is really dirty they generally don't. That 4094 didn't have very many miles so it cleaned up well.

It also takes me no time to polish them. Again, whether it becomes shiny or not, it's still smooth and exhaust gases will flow through MUCH better than the stock rough casting.

I am sure after a few good pulls that nice smooth surface will be covered with soot making it not so polished. So why spend all the time to make it perfectly polished. I think like said before smooth transition - Important factor and increased size is the ticket. This is only my opinion
Correct, first fire up you'll get soot on the surface but again sometimes they become shiny sometimes not when I do them.

Sorry to clutter your thread Zak. Kick Eric in the nuts for me next time you see him!!!:thumb::roflmao::D

Yellowchevy

Last edited: