Info: DIY VGT build

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I ordered up the following parts for the build.

- Fingers vanes
- Bullet 68mm wheel
- Ford 6.0 10 blade turbine
- Rebuild kit with 360 deg thrust bearing

I will update this build as I go.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
iv done all of what you just stated above i went lly housing with a 6.0 10 blade turbine, fingers vanes, billet 68 comp wheel, rebuild kit of ebay with 360 thrust etc and ported and ceramic coated turbine housing it was a very fun charger and cleaned up my built motor big tunes nice

I personally would be leery of eBay rebuild kits, you get what you pay for. Same can be said for all turbo parts.

03 6.0 turbine wheels flow good and give that sound everybody is after. Its also nice they drop right in the LLY's; LBZ require machining and the LMM/LML are a different design so it won't work.

Yellowchevy

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I personally would be leery of eBay rebuild kits, you get what you pay for. Same can be said for all turbo parts.

03 6.0 turbine wheels flow good and give that sound everybody is after. Its also nice they drop right in the LLY's; LBZ require machining and the LMM/LML are a different design so it won't work.

Yellowchevy

How much machine work has to be done to the compressor side to fit the bigger wheel? Say the 68

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Got the part's for build except for the light weight vanes. I'm starting to think about just going to a stock size billet compressor wheel instead of the 68mm. I don't plan on adding bigger injectors or pump, so a stock size should work fine.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 137

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I've got the same stock turbo build planned as you, 68mm billet wheel, fingers vanes, 10 blade turbine with an s480 or 483 on top of it.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
I got the vanes yesterday and ended up ordering a stock size billet compressor wheel. Hopefully in the next few weeks get it built and put on the truck.:thumb:

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Why did you go with stock vs the 68 zak? Also who was going to tune it? Curious how hard it'd be to tune a stock lly charger with the high flow vanes, 10 blade turbine, and a 68 wheel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Why did you go with stock vs the 68 zak? Also who was going to tune it? Curious how hard it'd be to tune a stock lly charger with the high flow vanes, 10 blade turbine, and a 68 wheel

I want to be able to pull my 25ft gooseneck trailer with it also for now and thought the 68 might be a little much for that. I will keep the 68 and see how it performs with the stock size first. It's tuned by Eric (Wisconsinhick1) right now and will be having him update the tunes for the new turbo. I'm hoping tuning it will not be a PITA!

I will be installing a 3" Y-bridge, hot and cold pipes, LML drivers manifold, 3" down pipe and Profab tow flow up pipes when I install the turbo. Should be a fun DD!

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Hells yea. That's what I'm curious on is how much of a pita is it going to be for someone to have a custom vgt done up like that and get tuned to rune "like stock"

I'm curious on a lly vgt how much difference in power would be seen on stock size wheels. Stock cast, batmo, wetzel, TCT

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Hells yea. That's what I'm curious on is how much of a pita is it going to be for someone to have a custom vgt done up like that and get tuned to rune "like stock"

I'm curious on a lly vgt how much difference in power would be seen on stock size wheels. Stock cast, batmo, wetzel, TCT

The stock size I bought is a Wetzel wheel.

It will probably dyno it after its installed.