Discuss

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
if that wasn't THE first drive in it, it was real close. IMO part of that is neg. timing in the tuning at low RPM. Some tune that way to get heat built up and light the charger. As you seen, it never did light the charger properly in any of the attempts. That (not lighting the charger) was, along with busting up the front end, a gremlin for them this FIRST year for it out. ;)

I can't remember now, but they also had some injector issues and swapped out hogged out injectors for stockers. Not sure which ones were installed for the shooting of this video.

In case you didn't take the liberty to read the build thread... that was a 6.0 truck in which they converted to DMAX. IIRC, it even has the lighter rearend still in it. It's not a simple swap to put a duramax in anything that didn't already have one even a truck that could have come with one from the factory. The wiring and fuel system gremlins that WILL show their ugly face is hard to work out.

In short, it was a brand new conversion and that was an initial run on the truck and things just needed tuning up a bit. :D

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I've listened to many higher-hp trucks at sledpulls, and also have heard many of Merchant's builds running, and I've never heard one sound that bad. Sounds like a gasser with a bad carburetor.

Granted, the charger/injector/cam combo may be causing it, but it almost sounds like one or two injector arent firing correctly.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
you all think that's bad... look up the PowerMax video of him getting on the dyno... It was no better and I'm pretty sure it was classic negative timing coupled with low CR and big sticks. Everyone praised it as being badass because of the lope and smoking and popping and everything (even me at the time) but it was really just in the tuning most likely. ;)

PowerMax

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Isnt that the Powermax truck that was at Spring Fling? I dont remember it sounding like that. Must be a newer build.

Last edited:

Oilfield_Mafia

Im the ONLY Okie..
Jun 8, 2008
Worlds Highest Hill
I'm asking because I'm curious.

Is that good enough or are you gonna continue o prove my point about how the Mods treat staff of other sites here ?

Can you answer my question ? If not...kindly move on to something that needs moderating.

The Mods here Treat me fine... And Im staff on a different site.. I think they just dont like YOU..:rofl:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Isnt that the Powermax truck that was at Spring Fling? I dont remember it sounding like that. Must be a newer build.

yeah, same one. My guess is the difference is as simple as a tuning change. Not to knock the truck, but it isn't any better than any other built duramaxes out there that start and run and act like any other duramax. What I'm getting at is, for the most part, even the stoutest of builds don't act radical like that and most likely in these two cases, it was a tuning issue for the builds at hand.

This is all speculation on my part as I HAVE been in a truck that acted EXACTLY like Matt's (powermax) and know it was all tuning and not because it is/was some freakin badass and ran like that as a result of being such.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
headers were too big to spool the turbo and the injector harness was rubbing on the valve cover causing electrical problems

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
After listening to it you say "nice truck" ?

Something ain't right with that thing...I put it where I did to discuss that, Pat...not the whole truck.

Wow, I miss a half a day on here and I miss a whole thread ripping on our truck?:mad:

This was the initial run of the truck. We had it running in the garage prior but just idling. We had several issues (besides an angry belt). Most of the idle and smoking were from at least one hung injector, maybe more. No tuning could fix that.

Plus that was our goal, to have it not sound like every other built Dmax out there.;) The first year didn't work out so well but we haven't given up. Custom takes time.

Is this better?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueEoxil82Go&feature=channel_page

Ed

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Wow, I miss a half a day on here and I miss a whole thread ripping on our truck?:mad:

This was the initial run of the truck. We had it running in the garage prior but just idling. We had several issues (besides an angry belt). Most of the idle and smoking were from at least one hung injector, maybe more. No tuning could fix that.

Plus that was our goal, to have it not sound like every other built Dmax out there.;) The first year didn't work out so well but we haven't given up. Custom takes time.

Is this better?

Ed

dont mind anyone you guys built up a bad ass rig ;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

Is this better?

Ed

Sounds fine to me.

Good luck with your truck!

ruffmanatv

Yeah, its got a D-Max!
May 9, 2008
Van Wert, OH
Don't listen to him, Ed. You guys are going down a road less traveled and there will be some bumps along the way. You and Tony will get all the bugs figured out soon enough.:thumb:

UNBROKEN

Mar 30, 2008
:DI dont even like you......Honestly

Nothing to do with being a mod:hello:

But...you're Canadian...you don't matter anyway. LOL

05smoker....I never ripped on your truck. I just asked what was wrong with it.
Now that you posted what the issues were I wonder how all these experts feel that said it was a tuning issue? LOL

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I guess it rubbed me the wrong way since you assumed something was wrong with it since it sounded different. The sound is from forward facing log style headers that dump into too big (now we know :mad:) a set of up-pipes.