Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I would say strain gauge the block, but I don't know anything.

Find two new cranks, have them xrayed (if that even works) to be sure of no defects. Run for x amount of hours, tear down and reinspect the cranks??? Again, I'm stupid.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The usual way is to place encoders (position sensors) on both ends of the crank and look at the data.

End to end comparison gives you flex while single end against a timing standard shows crank velocity changes.

Sent on the run from my Cell Phone

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Just though about firing order. Is it possible that the 1-2 firing sequence is causing reverse bending in the crank and fatigue cracking it? This would also mean that 7-8 could experience cracking.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
The usual way is to place encoders (position sensors) on both ends of the crank and look at the data.

End to end comparison gives you flex while single end against a timing standard shows crank velocity changes.

Sent on the run from my Cell Phone

That is exactly what Gale said "sensors need to be placed on both ends of the crank" and is how Banks obtains crank data. From that, I'm told that the viscous has tested better for taking out harmonics.
Also, ATI claims effectiveness past 5000 rpm, so who know the true effectiveness in a diesel.
Plus, many industrial diesels run viscous and some new vehicles from the factory as well.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
When I worked at CTC a typical encoder read 1/10th degree. Most of those were made by AVL. You had a special procedure to dial them in so they would accurately measure, used in conjunction with a cyl pressure transducer.

I'm not seeing how a dampner will remove crank flex? I'm sure a cam/crank can flex to a certain degree but have no harmful harmonics....?

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Quoted from Gale,
"As to Vibration dampers with neutral balance, we designed a 2 piece assembly that allows us to drive accessories, like a dry sump or blower drive off the front. We make 2 different size inertial rings and tune each differently as to viscosity and clearance to tune to stroke length, bob weight mass and maximum rpm. The inertial ring assemblies bolt to our drive hubs which are zero counterweight or are matched to the various standard Dmax counterweight masses. We own Automotive Balancing Service, started in 1953, it is the first and the oldest automotive balancing shop in the United States. Today, we use the shop only for development and our own internal engine production needs, but we know balancing! We therefor know that the position of the counterweight is incorrect in most of the hot rod Dmax balancers being sold today, that leads to crank failure. We measure crank twist front to rear with the engine running at a wide spectrum of speeds and loads…we don’t guess at this. I seek a maximum of +/- 1/8 degree crank twist
We have made very high output with properly inspected stock cranks and proper attention to the damper design."

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Just heard last week that a built motor, with a fluidamper, broke a crank.
We need a spreadsheet now so we can start the tally on different variables
Any takers

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Well, after much delay, I have purchased the simulation software that will allow me to analyze the cranks for harmonics, twist, fatigue, and a few other things. Now I just need enough business to cover the purchase....

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Nothing here makes one stand out more than another except the rhetoric. IMO

Ideally, you would match the balancer to the built motor. Most of us can not afford that.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The lb7/lly balanced has less imbalance than an lbz/lmm iirc.
I would think less weight may be better based on our discussions

from mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.