Cold Starts

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I don't even want to show you guys what mine sounds like after the multiple attempts with cycling glow plugs, cranks and an eventual fire up that runs on about 3 cylinders for 2 min at any temp below -10C. It's ugly-even plugged in-which actually makes it worse because it warms it up just enough to not allow the glow plugs to cycle and not start well.

All this because my Webasto fuel filter of 8 years was plugged up!:rofl: $40 for a new one and it's running again so hopefully no more cold starts.

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
First time my truck has ever let me down. Got up at 4:30am this morning to go to work. -43*F cycled the glow plugs twice and cranked it, fired up after a couple seconds of cranking but died after 8 seconds... Cranked until dead, fml.

TBSS was dead as a door nail too, with a flat tire, burnt out headlight and braklight:rofl: Got the TBSS running aired up the tire ran down to the Cat dealer and borrowed a battery tester as mine is at work that I'm now skipping:thumb: Battery junk, buy a new one as i'm giving the tester back. Grab headlights and taillights and diesel 911 from the parts store on the way home. Freeze my nuts off changing battery and lights. Pick the wife up from the gym and go get the tire fixed. TBSS seems happy enough. Time 1:30pm

Dump the 911 in old blue balls. Left the battery charger on the truck since this morning so I didn't freeze and ruin it. Cranked the truck a couple times for 30 seconds and she fired up, let it run for 45 minutes. Probably started cause it warmed up to -42F:spit:

F this frozen beotch of a state....

So you sissies bitching about your -10 below or 20 above or 68 can eat a dick...:rofl:

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
It was 55 yesterday and my old neighbor's 97' 7.3l barely started, it knocked and rattled and smoked. It's only got 109k on it too.

My 96' was the worst cold starting truck. It seemed like every year all winter I was swapping a controller or plugs etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
How the **** does one even function at temps that cold :roflmao:

I was cold walking the woods yesterday at mid 40s :rofl:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Albert and Dale, wow -40. I don't see how y'all function in that cold shit! It's been in the high 70s here. It got down to 23 a couple weeks ago and I almost said F it, not leaving the house lol.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
85c353d59c886c3c178ed101b7b193cd.jpg

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Was outside changing gelled up fuel filters on three of these that day too.
805e6e984e5490981ff0d6069af1ba8b.jpg

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How big are those filters ?? just curious lol

Depending on the year of the truck it will have either 2 or 3 primary filters that are 8" x 12" cartridges and 3 spin on secondaries 6"x14". Not too bad to do, bleeding it sucks though. QSK 60 Cummins engines.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
My morning consisted of hunting around town at 5 am looking for powersteering fluid or atf, fml. Steering box seems to be pissed at the cold weather now too:thumb: All the gas stations are out of powersteering fluid and atf. Off to Walmart, threaten to f*ckin kill the guy trying to run over me with the Zamboni cleaning the isles' while I'm scoping out some fluid.

I'm about to take my chances with the snakes and spiders Dale. I draw the line at gators though:D

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Its 16.8:1 :rofl:
It has only 2 or 3 working glowplugs, no grid heater, no vvt, bigger injectors and I forgot to plug it in. I edited out the 2 minutes of cranking prior to that clip.

Duh, I forgot you kept it stock compression.

I saw the check engine light, should have dawned on me, nice how the LMM and LBZ throws a light for them, I had 5 bad in my LLY and had to have Caleb hook a tech 2 to it just to get the codes.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
My morning consisted of hunting around town at 5 am looking for powersteering fluid or atf, fml. Steering box seems to be pissed at the cold weather now too:thumb: All the gas stations are out of powersteering fluid and atf. Off to Walmart, threaten to f*ckin kill the guy trying to run over me with the Zamboni cleaning the isles' while I'm scoping out some fluid.

I'm about to take my chances with the snakes and spiders Dale. I draw the line at gators though:D

Usually to get my steering wheel to actually steer I got pop the throttle and she frees up!
Once I lower it this spring I hope that helps the "parallel park" delete

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Interesting shop Dale. Looks to be a temporary? How does the plywood floor hold up under those trucks?
Ya it's a 1.5 million dollar temporary shop lol. The 30 million dollar permanent shop wont be done till 2019 so this is home for most of the mobile stuff. The big drills and shovels will likely never leave the pit though.

The floor is rig matting welded together. I believe it's fir or maybe oak rough cut 4x6 timbers stacked a foot deep. Holds up just fine for now. Will see what happens when they start walking D10's and 475 Komatsu Dozers over it.....