Cold Starts

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Hmm. Need to start mine for you guys, it turns over at like 25 rpm, pretty sure I got the shittiest batteries ever.

But this trucks always been in heat or plugged in, I feel better if it's already somewhat warm when I fire it up.

I agree with plugging in, my service truck froze on me last week, brand new interstate batteries and she was barely turning so I pulled the dipstick and my oil was literally like cold molasses. Took a bottle of 911 and a jump box used for tractors. That should break in the new injectors nicely hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Was warmer than predicted, 13°F (-11°C) this morning.
[YOUTUBE]vsn1Frr_was[/YOUTUBE]
Cranks a bit slow, considering I just put two brand new batteries in a week ago, but lights right off. No intake air heater, just the glow plugs. I don't use the block heater, as it has always started so far :thumb:

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Was warmer than predicted, 13°F (-11°C) this morning.
[YOUTUBE]vsn1Frr_was[/YOUTUBE]
Cranks a bit slow, considering I just put two brand new batteries in a week ago, but lights right off. No intake air heater, just the glow plugs. I don't use the block heater, as it has always started so far :thumb:

You out in courdelane?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You out in courdelane?
All the way down south in Boise. We've had record snows here, probably what is throwing you off. We normally don't have snow on the ground for more than a few days at a time, and people are freaking out :spit:

Sucks because I can't take the car to work (super cheap on gas), but on the upside I get to work on my cold weather tuning. I think I'm getting it pretty dialed for a built motor with lowered compression, if I do say so myself.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I'm not far from you in Twin! It's been a stout winter. The elk we pulled this year were all fat and that gives a little foresight

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
-6F cold start no block heater or glow plugs! Glow controller was randomly turning on the plugs so main power wire was disconnected. Truck started well all things considered.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vpc1n5VuPsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wish EFILive would revisit the LBZ and give us control over the glowplug controller time and temp settings.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I wish EFILive would revisit the LBZ and give us control over the glowplug controller time and temp settings.

I don't know if it's possible but maybe one of the positions on the switch be high idle.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The worse i have had to start my LB7 in was about 12~14 degrees. no intake heater, glow plugs disconnected like bcm1025 did. weak batteries too. fired up after about 5 seconds of slow cranking.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I was up in Big Bear this weekend and we had 10 deg temps at night. Truck started right up, ran for 30 seconds, and then died. Wouldn't start after that. First time I've ever had the fuel gel up. Didn't think I needed to add the power service winter stuff down here.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I need to do a cold start but I'm not smart enough.. it's crazy it fires right up and doesn't miss a lick.. even at 8 degrees and reaching right in and hitting the key. No glow plugs, no intake heater, no plug in.. magic

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
The lowest I've started my truck with no plug in was -30ish in ND. I have never had an issue with my LMM or my LLY but my old Ford froze on me anytime it was to cold to wear swim trunks!!

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
The lowest I've started my truck with no plug in was -30ish in ND. I have never had an issue with my LMM or my LLY but my old Ford froze on me anytime it was to cold to wear swim trunks!!

It was 55 yesterday and my old neighbor's 97' 7.3l barely started, it knocked and rattled and smoked. It's only got 109k on it too.