Casper and Black Mamba

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
Was fun to watch diesel tv live feed worked flawlessly for me watched in my tablet. sure was nice to see Casper out on the track I've enjoyed reading every article diesel power has had on that truck it's nice to see what few parts and perseverance can do keep up the good work
When NHRDA splits the feed up ill watch it tomorrow. I can't Wait for pictures too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
That’s impressive. Does anyone have any links to more about Casper? I know it’s a legend in here... I’m just too young to know the history. Very curious to know how a truck can go 10s on stock injectors...

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
this is what I found

The 10.59 and 10.65 passes used a horn-relay nitrous system with a .070" jet.

The fastest "fuel" pass was 10.83 at HRP. There were a few other fuel passes, 10.95 in Bakersfield, then 10.89 on Friday at HRP. A couple others I don't remember.

Casper has:

Engine was assembled by BMS in San Berdo to my spec:
Coated, DeLipped, OEM-LLY SoCal Diesel Pistons, about 15.5:1 best I can figure. OEM rings, stock bore.
Block is stock LLY.
Crank is stock LLY and is balanced with the flex plate and harmonic balancer, both stock.
Rods are Crowers from SoCalDiesel.
Cam is OEM-LBZ that was keyed by SoCalDiesel along with the crank.
Heads are SoCalDiesel LLY, ported with high speed springs and pushrods.
Rest of internals are all stock including oil pump and injectors.

Turbocharger was PPE/Garrett GT4202R kit with 1.15 hsg.
PPE Dual CP3 system running 1 LBZ pump and 1 Industrial Injection pump.
Exhaust manifolds, 1 BD manifold and 1 OEM LLY manifold. Federal riser pipes.
Air intake is 5" K&N with custom ducting.
Intercooler is OEM LLY with 3" tubing and LBZ Y-Bridge and manifolds.

Transmission is Mike L Allison 5-sp with a ML2 converter at the time.
T-Case stock.
Copilot installed but not used.
All but 2 leaves removed from rear, running Caltracs and stock shocks.
Front has stock shocks and T-bars that are lower with adjustable keys.

Liftpump is a single 1792. No fuel pickup. Rail has PPE Race Valve and home-ported fuel rail.

Currently there are new parts on the truck that are being tested. When it ran 10.59, it had 754rwhp on fuel, now it has a GT42Magnum with 797rwhp.
That looks about right for the period. The chassis is still similar to what's listed. Engines setup is a little different. But close to back in the day.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
That’s impressive. Does anyone have any links to more about Casper? I know it’s a legend in here... I’m just too young to know the history. Very curious to know how a truck can go 10s on stock injectors...

Pat knew a lot about how to setup a truck... No truck ever did as much with such a limited amount of parts.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Wow. That is absolutely impressive. I love seeing threads like this. Some of us really are interested in performance still and this gives hope to us lol

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
My job is to take Casper on new ventures and creating new memories while preserving the historic memories

Based on my last pass yesterday casper told me he wants to go to the local tracks again. He's got 10 year cramps.. Lol

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
A lot of trans stuff was tested on Casper as well.
Casper was the Swiss Army Knife of Duramaxes. It seem to win everything it entered.:thumb::hug::D

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
So what'd the mamba run? Seems like his last pass was 10.6-ish

The big twins and big injectors were removed and sold in like 2014. It has 100s and a baby set of twins on it currently. Ruben fought rail pressure issues all day so track times were a wash, but tell you what, that truck brought back some memories for sure. He and I were neck and neck back in 2014

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
The big twins and big injectors were removed and sold in like 2014. It has 100s and a baby set of twins on it currently. Ruben fought rail pressure issues all day so track times were a wash, but tell you what, that truck brought back some memories for sure. He and I were neck and neck back in 2014
Bakersfield was fun that year

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006

That's embarrassing for Ruben?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Keep in mind that was 10 or 12 years ago too. There weren't many in the 10's back then.