"Built not bought" mentality and why it is bad

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So a member here was scrutinized today because he bought an engine from SoCal and a transmission from SunCoast instead of building them both himself. I want to publicly state that that I completely disagree with that attitude. Why would someone be looked down upon for having a professional perform a service in which they are qualified? Would you criticize someone for going to a dentist instead of pulling their own tooth? Would you criticize someone for calling an electrician to wire their house? Why is it different to hire an engine or transmission builder to build these expensive pieces of equipment? When a person is spending $10-$15k+ in just parts for a nice built engine, why wouldn't you spend a couple thousand more to have it professionally assembled by people who have all the right knowledge and equipment to make sure it is done correctly? Instead, you expect people to fumble their way through a challenging job and resort to asking strangers with questionable qualifications to help diagnose or resolve an issue when something doesn't work right. I would rather see someone spend a little more money up front and end up with something that works how it should and have a truck that performs up to their expectations. I understand you want to have pride in saying you built something yourself, but don't look down on someone for not wanting to risk their hard earned dollars on their limited knowledge and experience.

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
I agree with that completely. Shit my friend builds and races drag cars but he has had his last engine built because he had the money and didn't want to do it himself.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
So a member here was scrutinized today because he bought an engine from SoCal and a transmission from SunCoast instead of building them both himself. I want to publicly state that that I completely disagree with that attitude. Why would someone be looked down upon for having a professional perform a service in which they are qualified? Would you criticize someone for going to a dentist instead of pulling their own tooth? Would you criticize someone for calling an electrician to wire their house? Why is it different to hire an engine or transmission builder to build these expensive pieces of equipment? When a person is spending $10-$15k+ in just parts for a nice built engine, why wouldn't you spend a couple thousand more to have it professionally assembled by people who have all the right knowledge and equipment to make sure it is done correctly? Instead, you expect people to fumble their way through a challenging job and resort to asking strangers with questionable qualifications to help diagnose or resolve an issue when something doesn't work right. I would rather see someone spend a little more money up front and end up with something that works how it should and have a truck that performs up to their expectations. I understand you want to have pride in saying you built something yourself, but don't look down on someone for not wanting to risk their hard earned dollars on their limited knowledge and experience.

Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

I build my own engines and transmissions. But I wouldn't even consider trying to modify my own injectors or CP3 pumps. I leave that to the professionals that know how to do that correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Their just igornat people who like to beat others down to help there own self-esteem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Aside from the aforementioned shit-storm... I always viewed the built not bought differently. You built your rig by installing, removing, improving, etc. You installed all of the front end parts on your back in the driveway. You sweated your ass off getting that EGR deleted. You printed instructions off the forum and removed and upgraded your injectors to XX-overs. You didn't drop off your new $60k truck, with $40k in cash at a shop and pick it back up with everything done for you.

It's a pride thing for the average guy to have something spectacular that he spent time, money, love, hours laboring over the decisions, trial/error, bartered, you bottom-fed on CL/eBay/FS ads, and bled along with your sweat to create something only the rich could afford to buy turn-key or through blind-faith in a builder they backed to have carte-blanch.

Along the way, you consulted with and used experts in their field - I would consider buying an engine from a known builder, a trans from a trans guy, or a modified cp3 as steps in the built not bought process as you create your whole package. You can't build EVERYTHING yourself for crying out loud... nor should you. No man is an island.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Aside from the aforementioned shit-storm... I always viewed the built not bought differently. You built your rig by installing, removing, improving, etc. You installed all of the front end parts on your back in the driveway. You sweated your ass off getting that EGR deleted. You printed instructions off the forum and removed and upgraded your injectors to XX-overs. You didn't drop off your new $60k truck, with $40k in cash at a shop and pick it back up with everything done for you.

It's a pride thing for the average guy to have something spectacular that he spent time, money, love, hours laboring over the decisions, trial/error, bartered, you bottom-fed on CL/eBay/FS ads, and bled along with your sweat to create something only the rich could afford to buy turn-key or through blind-faith in a builder they backed to have carte-blanch.

Along the way, you consulted with and used experts in their field - I would consider buying an engine from a known builder, a trans from a trans guy, or a modified cp3 as steps in the built not bought process as you create your whole package. You can't build EVERYTHING yourself for crying out loud... nor should you. No man is an island.

I agree 100%. Nothing beats the feeling of running with those guys with a set up you built yourself.

I do agree with Josh also. A guy has to work hard to buy a built motor and trans. It's not like he gets that money for free. Least he chooses to put the money into a fun hobby. But in the performance world not knowing how to do repair will clean a guy out.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Because I felt the need to address this topic. Is that ok with you?

And for the record, I didn't close the thread.

Of course it's okay. I hear it all the time on Instagram. I do feel like if a mod decided to close a thread that conversation should be dead, if you closed it or someone else. Just adding my 2 cents no disrespect intended :hug:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Different topic, even if it started in another place, so different thread.

I consider the whole "bought" scarlet letter to be when someone pays a shop to do everything, then they claim later that they did it "themselves". But just that particular scenario.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Kinda messed up to poke at a fella like that. I reckon he's out there creatin interest in our trucks and keepin our hobby alive. Having pride is cool and all, but life has a funny way of fixing you when you get too prideful. Anyhow, I say support the guy who brings anything to our table, even the if he needed help to get it here.

citadel

Jan 2, 2008
TN
Also, takin credit for someone else's work, I reckon that catches up with folks too, sooner or later.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I just feel bad for the poor new guy that asked a question and had to see the crap storm that followed. Probably scared him off. I'm with y'all on that. I don't care if it's built or bought. Fact is we buy the parts to start with so it's all bought. Regardless of who builds it. Do what you can. Leave the rest to those who won't cost you a hefty mistake :thumb:

Osubeaver

Professional Grade
Aug 30, 2008
Oregon
I've barely ever turned a wrench on my truck....ever. I'm not dumb and have had to fix some stuff, but I understand when somebody is way better at something than me. To me the "built not bought" thing makes about as much sense as "hug a farmer", or the "without truckers" BS.

A long time ago we humans had subsistence living. Then we got smart and realized that was a terrible idea. Everybody can't do everything.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I missed the show, but I agree, there is nothing wrong with paying a professional to do something you can't or don't want to do. And honestly, I have no problem with someone writing a giant check to a shop and never touching their rig. At least they are into motorsports, and keeping the industry alive and well.

My brother and I built (assembled) my engine ourselves, partially to save money, and partially for the enjoyment of it. But I bought Wagler heads, an Exergy CP3, had my transmission built, paid a shop to bore the block, etc. I know my limits, and what I don't enjoy. In the end, we learned a ton doing the motor ourselves, but I'm not sure I really saved much over paying a professional. The learning and the experience was fun for me, as for many of us. But I would never think that's a "superior" thing vs paying a professional.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk