"Built not bought" mentality and why it is bad

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Heck ya if I had the money I would definitely spend a little more to have it done by someone else:thumb:
Gives me more time with the family and other hobbies
... of course if I had the money I probably would just buy a ZL1 lol

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I do everything my self pretty much. No I don't do my tuning or my fuel system components (have to buy those).

Built not bought is bs.

Funny because Waid literally builds shit from blocks of metal every day

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I think the built not bought thing comes from a pride standpoint...and probably a little "jealousy" kind of. I've used the line myself, although it's all about context it's used in... And I don't agree with the statement. In my situation, for example, we were pulling up in Wisconsin at a NTPA event a few years ago. Some fans were running their mouths and asking questions, we got second place out of 4 trucks. White Lightning/Chris Muhs won, we got 2nd, Kusilek got 3rd, One Bad Ram got 4th... What those idiots couldn't comprehend was the 2 trucks with THE LEAST amount of $$$ in them won. I was very happy with the results and those fans couldn't understand why. I think it was that same year, we beat Brad Ingram/Scheid Diesel, beat Kusilek, beat Chris Muhs/White Lightning, but Doug Mueller beat us. We beat Chris by 11+ ft that day at Independence, IA at this Independence NTPA event. 2 weeks later, he put 30+ feet on us at Scheid and he won it I believe...

I think that's where the statement gets used more often than not...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just to clarify, I'm not talking down on anyone that does work on their truck himself. I mean, I am one of those guys. I think it is something you can be proud of when you do something, and it works well. I don't like to see someone get talked down to or belittled because they chose to have a professional do some of the work on their truck though.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I am the first to admit I do minimal work on my truck. There are lots of things I probably could do but my work and family schedule leave me no time. If I ever tried to do it all myself the truck would never get finished. I just give credit to Chris for all the work he does and if someone has an issue with it F em. On the other hand if I worked seasonally and had lots of free time I would be glad to try and take on more challenging projects. People need to quit judging so much!

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Well said Josh.

Personally, I do what I can myself and leave the expensive parts to the pros. I'm very grateful for the knowledge here so that I can complete many things on the truck myself and it really allows one to feel proud of his work. I had no issues telling Evan the trans was out of my league, and he didnt call me out for being a puss. Even though I didn't build the trans and I won't be building the engine, I'm damn proud to be driving around with other people's hard work on board. The community here is awesome and being able to spend my hard earned dollars with the guys on here has been a rare treat in the homogonized world we have around us now

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Good post Josh.
I don't hesitate to pay people to do work that I can't do as well as they do.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i completely agree with ya Josh, Mike and Evan. you create some good friendships with these people you "pay" to work on your junk. trucks dont last forever but friendships will.... unless you turn into a dick :rofl: :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i completely agree with ya Josh, Mike and Evan. you create some good friendships with these people you "pay" to work on your junk. trucks dont last forever but friendships will.... unless you turn into a dick :rofl: :D

What if you start out a dick? :confused:

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Well said about everything Josh. I can't afford to pay someone to work on my truck, I can't afford to do anything to it myself. Guess it'll be what it is for a while.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Well said Josh!
That being said, we (humans) will cross paths with assholes every day of our lives and it's unfortunate that as a society, we have become so "pussified" because "my feelings were hurt". I guess being someone that grew up in the sixties and graduated high school in the 70's, we just handled things differently. If I am disrespected or insulted by someone, f ck 'em and adios'. I move on...

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Anybody have a safe place I can hang out in? I just "bought" a work of art "built" by SoCal for a pickup "built" by JoshH.

As long as the owner is happy and proud of the end result, who cares how it's done. I have built plenty of motors, trans, diffs, etc. for all types of projects but I chose to put it into the hands of people with tons of experience on this project as I do not have the time nor the workspace that I once had. Plus, I would personally rather have their experience on this to help meet our goals rather than learning the hard way when diesel parts are so expensive.
5d3c24486731691118d86871a41c0e98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk