LB7: Built Motor Labor Costs

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm just curious what guys are paying to have their motor built. I'm not talking hard parts and machining. Strictly labor costs to yank out the stock motor, build a motor from a bare block and install it. I'd like to see how costs compare.*

Nick

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Cost me my own free time.

You lookin for if a shop were to do the r&r? Or somethin else?

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Cost me my own free time.

You lookin for if a shop were to do the r&r? Or somethin else?

Yeah doing it yourself is always better and satisfying.

Basically a guy comes into the shop, has all his parts and bare block in his bed. All he wants done is his motor built and installed. And to obviously remove his stock motor.

Nick

rickettzusaf

Nov 30, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
A buddy of mine had his LLY tore down to have a head gasket job done and the head resurfaced. I believe the labor for taking out the motor, disassemble, reassemble along with head studs, and put back in was 2,500. I know he spen over 10,500 at that time though. he also did a stage 4 trans, batmowheel, RDL y-bridge and delete tube, s&b intake, and lb7 up pipe. So I think 2-3 should be about right.

VeeAte

going for 10s
Dec 7, 2010
ocean springs, ms
If you have the tools pull the engine yourself...really nothing to it. Gonna take mine out for the second time to get built this time around.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
If you have the tools pull the engine yourself...really nothing to it. Gonna take mine out for the second time to get built this time around.
I've got access to a lift, tools and good mechanic to help, could an engine be pulled and replaced with a new one over a weekend without killing yourself?

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
i pulled my own but it was around a 1k for the the labor to do my short block. if you want real quotes i would just call the shop you want or are thinking about havint do the work. when i was building mine i called EVER performance shop just to have an idea. you would be surprised how much some will charge for a short block build 1-10K was what i was quoted

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've got access to a lift, tools and good mechanic to help, could an engine be pulled and replaced with a new one over a weekend without killing yourself?

If you have not done one before, your pushin it. If you have done ot before and have some mechanically enclined friends, sure can!

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
The same guy that replaced my trans for me will help. If it doesn't get finished its not the end of the world. I will just have to wait until the next weekend to finish. I would like to finish while everything is fresh in my head. I forget quick.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo

No lift and small shop when we did mine and she was out in around 4 hours. So if your just swaping out you can do it over a weekend.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I went from short block to running in under 3 days by myself. But then back to not running when I hooked a check valve to the HP turbo up backwards and killed it. I would take my time esp going back in so you don't do a 3am mistake.
I paid around 2300 dropping of the block torn down to the crank and picking up the short block ready to go. but that was a rush job over xmas, cut and coating my pistons head work some overnighted shipping etc.