LB7: Built Motor Labor Costs

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Good for you. Just get a build sheet that has all assembled clearances for each cylinder. Piston to wall, ring end gap for each ring, rods, mains, crank end play and camshaft end play. Then at least you may know that they checked

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I just had them slap it together quick hopefully it holds :D I didn't say your price was wrong it just seemed kind of high to me that's all.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
In my opinion, and im no super engine builder here but, if you are building new with all new parts, new rings, bearings , rods, etc. then your assembly is going to take less time and your clearances are going to be virtually the same for all cylinders, unless you purposely want some cylinders to be looser or tighter (usually done in machine work and not assembly)...therefore costing less. If you are r&ring parts and clearance May be different for each bearing....then yes of course itll take longer and cost more

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
In my opinion, and im no super engine builder here but, if you are building new with all new parts, new rings, bearings , rods, etc. then your assembly is going to take less time and your clearances are going to be virtually the same for all cylinders, unless you purposely want some cylinders to be looser or tighter (usually done in machine work and not assembly)...therefore costing less. If you are r&ring parts and clearance May be different for each bearing....then yes of course itll take longer and cost more

My thoughts exactly.....i just checked a couple cylinders when doing new rings and then just went checked bearings out and 44k miles later im good now(my engine)

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i checked all my ring gaps on all my rings. After guy tellin me hes seen a few sneek through that were not the correct clearance, i wasnt gunna take a chance. Ive seen two rzr motors go due to incorrect ring gap when supposably the rings were the correct gap from the mfg and i REALLY didnt wanna do that to mine lol. I also had to swap two main bearings to keep an even clearance down the line (swapped 2 with 4 and 4 with 2). the difference wasnt much but it doesnt hurt to do it either. Rod bearings were all really close but then again, i dont have a bolt stretch gauge to really set proper torque, i just went off of the specific torque number. I think my favorite part was micing and putting the whole block together, then that first start up with the pride of your work running. such a satisfying feeling but damn nerve wrecking before that first turn of the key. :D

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

If you do not spend the time to check everything out and just depend on your machinist you are no that smart. No offense intended. I have seen a block come back where the machinist had taken the line hone to tight side of OEM tolerances and under torqued the girdle by 25 lbs and this netted a main clearance of. 0015-.0019. If this motor had been assembled without checking everything out it would not have lived very long. It pays to be thorough and not take for granted that your machinist is prefect.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
If you do not spend the time to check everything out and just depend on your machinist you are no that smart. No offense intended. I have seen a block come back where the machinist had taken the line hone to tight side of OEM tolerances and under torqued the girdle by 25 lbs and this netted a main clearance of. 0015-.0019. If this motor had been assembled without checking everything out it would not have lived very long. It pays to be thorough and not take for granted that your machinist is prefect.

If I am doing someone else's motor I go through and check everything rings bearings all of it. my truck i rushed and shouldnt have but i did check all rod and main bearings my motor is coming out (if it doesnt survive the races the 17th and sled pulls day after lol!) And ill inspect it all aee how things look.

i also agree with you machine shops screw up i had one forget to put a freeze plug in by the oil pump so it wouldn't build oil pressure that was fun pulling the engine again

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I had a total of $900 in machine work. Motors are easy to pull and put in. Doing a lot of labor yourself and having some good friends to help makes all the difference in the world. It takes a lot longer doing it yourself because you double and triple check everything because you do not want to have to re-do it.
Once you hear that thing run it's a big accomplishment.
Print out a bunch of detailed instructions from GM that Henry has posted on this forum it takes a lot of guessing out.