LB7: Built Motor Labor Costs

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I've got access to a lift, tools and good mechanic to help, could an engine be pulled and replaced with a new one over a weekend without killing yourself?
no reason it cant be done in a day if you work steady. I can have one out in 2-3 hrs buy myself.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Sounds good, the main reason I havn't already done this is the horror stories of trucks being down weeks or months. I need mine back on the road quick.

1slomax

Dec 6, 2011
Harrisonburg VA
I was told around 7k to bore the block 0.20 over key the crank and cam balance everything and have the motor ready to be installed back in the truck does that sound right?

dmax711

Mar 4, 2011
concord, north carolina
I was told around 7k to bore the block 0.20 over key the crank and cam balance everything and have the motor ready to be installed back in the truck does that sound right?

:eek:! Dustin @ diesel addiction is doing my shortblock, his prices are very very reasonable and he takes time to explain your options, what you should do/whats a waist of money for the power level your shooting for etc...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

If they are doin the complete.tear down, all the assembly work amd the complete build back up so its drop in ready, its not too far off but still high. Are they checking the heads? Maggin the crank/block? Any parts included?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
R&R engine $1200-2000
Engine Assembly $1000-1500
Engine Machine $1000-2500
These are not full scale built to the Max numbers. These would do proper assemblies with build sheet along with specs, align hone, torque plate hone, cleaning, cam bearing install, external balance and valve job.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
R&R engine $1200-2000
Engine Assembly $1000-1500
Engine Machine $1000-2500
These are not full scale built to the Max numbers. These would do proper assemblies with build sheet along with specs, align hone, torque plate hone, cleaning, cam bearing install, external balance and valve job.

$1500 for assembly thats crazy.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
$1500 for assembly thats crazy.

I don't think it's that far off, I'm sure a labor book calls for 18-20hrs to disassemble/reassemble an engine. If you're builder is taking his time and fitting bearings, cleaning threads, torqueing, etc...I can see it costing that

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
You know the best remedies for that being too much? Do it yourself. There is a lot of time in prep and assembly. You do not just turn wrenches.

The only thing that hasn't been done by me on my truck is assembly of the short block. I also turn those wrench thingies for a living so I know whats involved :rolleyes: With the price the machine shop gave me for assembly it didn't make sense for me to do.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Good for you. Just get a build sheet that has all assembled clearances for each cylinder. Piston to wall, ring end gap for each ring, rods, mains, crank end play and camshaft end play. Then at least you may know that they checked