Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
fDSpIVKl.jpg
here's the crank

Last edited:

06Topkick

Jun 6, 2013
My 06 topkick lly broke 2nd main journal in from the front. 102,000 miles on it. Looks like the main bearing spun and wore the cap and block out, there was no bearing material left either then the crank broke would be my guess?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
fDSpIVKl.jpg
here's the crank

Mine looks identical.

125 000 miles, stock engine, mild power. Cruising down the highway when it let go.

Improperly installed converter is my guess- 2 bolts finger tight, two moderately tight, two tight but not to spec. unevenly loaded it and stress cracked over time.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
You had the ats 5 star too right? Some people say the 5 stars are rattle traps which may have contributed to the breakage we have all my bolts were tight but I dont wanna risk the chance with my new motor when it's done so I'm getting rid of the converter

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Mine rattled in park or neutral but never in gear. I think if it had been installed properly (torqued, loctite, etc) it would have been fine.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
here are some pics and a link to bearing analysys
http://catalog.mahleclevite.com/bearing/
thinking the fix is more support at the #2 main.

By looking at your 2nd and 4th cap-side bearing shell you notice similar level of wear, look at the top-side main for 3. Majority of flex is within these 3 main journals. Now figuring why viewing from each of end of the crankshift, which has been in discussion multiple times, why, from seeing your pictures the crank is acting in the sense of a jump rope.

When looking over bearings as well you must look at all points across the plane because the flexibility as well as machine work (of the journal in this conversation) and bearing crush/fit will imprint into the bearing, you just have to decipher whats happening during operation. Remember just because an engine may be a factory built piece in your or anyones truck. the machine work tolerance isn't as tight as your race mill. The tighter your tolerances the longer your combination produces and stays together on any machined surface.

Things don't fail until something makes it fail.

Savagebeast

Sled puller
Jan 21, 2014
NE ohio
I broke the crank in my lly 2.6 pulling truck the end of my 2012 season. It was a stock lly crank that had been made a stroker. It broke right in front of the first rod. ATI balancer, ATS flywheel, Girdle, Billet Mains, ARP studs, Partial filled block and full built motor. It broke right at the end of my pull and didn't hurt anything else. I got a billet Crower stroker crank made for the 2013 season and upon inspection yesterday it's cracked after 22 hooks. This one is cracked right where the 2nd rod meets the counterweight.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
That's expensive, you should post that in the fingers section in the thread named "cranks" did you have a stock firing order cam or alternate?

Sent from a truck somewhere in the US

Savagebeast

Sled puller
Jan 21, 2014
NE ohio
I have a stock firing order cam and yes this is getting very expensive. I need to try and figure something out because with the price of parts I don't wanna be putting a new crank in every year.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Alt. fire cam shaft seems to be the answer for now... I know Fingers is working on a crank simulator to test the cam & balancer theories. Alt. cam is the only fix that hasn't been dis-proven yet...

Savagebeast

Sled puller
Jan 21, 2014
NE ohio
Is there any company currently building cams for the different firing order or are you guys just getting a company to make them when you need them?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Is there any company currently building cams for the different firing order or are you guys just getting a company to make them when you need them?

NGM Diesel have them as well. It probably has a lot to do with the rpms that you turn pulling combined with the overall dynamics of Tue rotating assembly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
That is very true, pulling is hard on things, however NGM has a pile of broken cranks, and last i talked with them, said they have the "Fix", New crank design.ECT Apparently in testing now.