Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
How often though? I think y'all are beating a dead horse right now. The fact of the matter is is nobody here knows 100% what the causes is. I do trust that GM probably has the best grasp on it and they decided to put their capital in a new crank. It would've been a whole lot cheaper for them just a slap in a new cam and change the firing order, but they stand to lose millions if they get it wrong. They still got a blackeye from the LB7s injector issues. Who knows where they plan on taking this new design maybe 600hp eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Unlike the LB7 injector issue, no one ever stepped up to say we'll cover that issue for everyone...

These fall under the early model CP4 category. If it breaks under warranty, no problem. Out of warranty, "We've never seen that problem before. Ya must have gotten some bad fuel..."

:spit:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
How often though?...........

According to a couple GM tech friends of mine more often than you would think. Most were around the 160000 mile mark. Hell a friend of mine had his GM replacement engine break a crank on his lmm just under 30 000 miles after they installed it. It's very hit or miss it seems.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Let's say you got a crank that is doomed to one day break, would changing the cam actually do anything to prevent that. I know a result of changing the cam is reducing stress on the crank but would it be enough?

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Let's say you got a crank that is doomed to one day break, would changing the cam actually do anything to prevent that. I know a result of changing the cam is reducing stress on the crank but would it be enough?

Probably cause it to break faster.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

Some say yes. Many say no. Some will give very long yet well thought out and factual explanations of why not. Others will argue that the harmonics will be better.

What I'm trying to say is there's no 100% concrete proof either way. :roflmao:

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Some say yes. Many say no. Some will give very long yet well thought out and factual explanations of why not. Others will argue that the harmonics will be better.

What I'm trying to say is there's no 100% concrete proof either way. :roflmao:

I guess if I start mine one day and it sounds like a rock crusher the only thing I'm 100% about is getting 20K and a builder hahaha

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Add me to the list. The beat down, 265k mile, 700 hp, stock motor shop truck just broke a crank last night. Poor ol' girl took a lot of abuse though.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
While watching the 24hrs of Le Mans, I built this handy tool to tell what will fail on your Duramax.

Lets see who's crank will break next...:rofl:

The Wheel Of Failures

Enjoy !!

Ha! I spun it 5 times, only got a burnt piston once. I'm feeling lucky :D

Add me to the list. The beat down, 265k mile, 700 hp, stock motor shop truck just broke a crank last night. Poor ol' girl took a lot of abuse though.

Probably those garbage tunes man, should get that done professionally :roflmao:

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
First #4 break I've seen.. In a core engine I picked up. Never enen noticed till pulled mains to lift out..

Someone please bump lbz/lmm count by 3 for me. That's how many we have seen hit the floor in past 2 months...

19d67d6b99fb8b1e9116deedf039ceac.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk