Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
your new so you never got to see or searched for all the data Jon posted a few years back.

When the suggestion of an alternate fire cam came up from Jon years back, some thought it was the "solve all out issues" fix and other saw it as a bandaid (me as one of them) and others just flat didnt think there was enough evidence to say it will fix the issue. For a long time, when places were making and selling the cams for twice that of a SF cam, people were saying all their crank issues vanished and this would stop the problem. I did not agree, i and many others still felt it was a bandaid for the real issue and was really wanting to see someone look into it and fix it. then the first crank broke with an AF cam.... it was a used LB7 crank and then it was suggested you HAVE to buy a new crank if you want to be sure it lasts. ok cool, still a bandaid imho though. So now if you have to buy a crank AND a cam, you're getting into the 2k range (at the time, closer to 2500,3k). time went on and things popped up here and there of cranks breaking, mainly used ones, with AF cams. Some will not post on this forum that have broke them with new cranks. they are out there, i know this for a fact ;).

then Callies came out with their crank using narrows rod journals to increase the meat on the journals of the crank. it has been said and factual shown on here, the main issue arises in the diameter of the crank journal. it is too small and does not have enough overlap of the mains to keep issues at bay. Guy and i believe Pat both explain this. This leads us to GM making the changes they did to the crank you see in the L5P. they changed it for a reason and its not just cause im sitting here implying all this is the reason, they are not dumb and there are a few people on this board along with me that have connections. They increased the journal diameter to help eliminate the issue. this is a tired and trued fix and is based on engine engineering. why didnt GM change the rod journal initially? well at 300hp in a lb7, ill bet you the issues never showed up and why would they care about people pushing the hp out of it we are now? then the LBZ came and GM decided to take weight from the pistons but add it to the external balancer, increasing the chances of the crank breaking. Then we start seeing a little trend happening in our own poll. GM keeps upping HP to keep up in the market and next thing you know, HP levels are coming close to 500 and now they must do something about some old engineering they are running off of.

It all comes down to budget in the end. if you want to put an AF in and a narrowed rod journal crank, go for it. if you are limited and want 1000rwhp, id do a NRJ crank before a cam as you can get the HP without the cam and still be reliable in the bottom end. If you dont want to drop the coin on a crank but want sub 1000hp numbers, it comes down to what you want to do for the cam. it can be a toss up if the cam will really help keep it together or not. im sitting on 45k miles, 600+ hp towed on and ran every time i drive it, and still on delipped LB7 pistons with 213k total, and a used lb7 crank with 213k total.

If the AF cam was still double that of a SF cam, id say there is a valid argument for not changing it depending on circumstances but they are so close to the same now, just comes down to budget and theory.

i will still say, the crank is our issue and ill never say the fix is a new stock crank and AF cam. Dale isnt far off the callies cranks with NRJ cranks may still fail, is .040 on each side enough to hold up? Kidturbos boat setup will be a true test to it and i very much look forward to seeing it. Personally, id like to see if the new GM crank will retrofit into 01-16 block with a little work and new rods. if it will, that will be a hell of an upgrade.

Case closed :thumb:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
your new so you never got to see or searched for all the data Jon posted a few years back.

When the suggestion of an alternate fire cam came up from Jon years back, some thought it was the "solve all out issues" fix and other saw it as a bandaid (me as one of them) and others just flat didnt think there was enough evidence to say it will fix the issue. For a long time, when places were making and selling the cams for twice that of a SF cam, people were saying all their crank issues vanished and this would stop the problem. I did not agree, i and many others still felt it was a bandaid for the real issue and was really wanting to see someone look into it and fix it. then the first crank broke with an AF cam.... it was a used LB7 crank and then it was suggested you HAVE to buy a new crank if you want to be sure it lasts. ok cool, still a bandaid imho though. So now if you have to buy a crank AND a cam, you're getting into the 2k range (at the time, closer to 2500,3k). time went on and things popped up here and there of cranks breaking, mainly used ones, with AF cams. Some will not post on this forum that have broke them with new cranks. they are out there, i know this for a fact ;).

then Callies came out with their crank using narrows rod journals to increase the meat on the journals of the crank. it has been said and factual shown on here, the main issue arises in the diameter of the crank journal. it is too small and does not have enough overlap of the mains to keep issues at bay. Guy and i believe Pat both explain this. This leads us to GM making the changes they did to the crank you see in the L5P. they changed it for a reason and its not just cause im sitting here implying all this is the reason, they are not dumb and there are a few people on this board along with me that have connections. They increased the journal diameter to help eliminate the issue. this is a tired and trued fix and is based on engine engineering. why didnt GM change the rod journal initially? well at 300hp in a lb7, ill bet you the issues never showed up and why would they care about people pushing the hp out of it we are now? then the LBZ came and GM decided to take weight from the pistons but add it to the external balancer, increasing the chances of the crank breaking. Then we start seeing a little trend happening in our own poll. GM keeps upping HP to keep up in the market and next thing you know, HP levels are coming close to 500 and now they must do something about some old engineering they are running off of.

It all comes down to budget in the end. if you want to put an AF in and a narrowed rod journal crank, go for it. if you are limited and want 1000rwhp, id do a NRJ crank before a cam as you can get the HP without the cam and still be reliable in the bottom end. If you dont want to drop the coin on a crank but want sub 1000hp numbers, it comes down to what you want to do for the cam. it can be a toss up if the cam will really help keep it together or not. im sitting on 45k miles, 600+ hp towed on and ran every time i drive it, and still on delipped LB7 pistons with 213k total, and a used lb7 crank with 213k total.

If the AF cam was still double that of a SF cam, id say there is a valid argument for not changing it depending on circumstances but they are so close to the same now, just comes down to budget and theory.

i will still say, the crank is our issue and ill never say the fix is a new stock crank and AF cam. Dale isnt far off the callies cranks with NRJ cranks may still fail, is .040 on each side enough to hold up? Kidturbos boat setup will be a true test to it and i very much look forward to seeing it. Personally, id like to see if the new GM crank will retrofit into 01-16 block with a little work and new rods. if it will, that will be a hell of an upgrade.

Okay that's exactly what I was looking for. I know the af cam wasn't by any means a 100% solve all. Just wondered why it gets so much hate haha if price was a huge difference like you said I could see it but that clears it up nicely. Thank ya

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Exactly. If it actually makes it run smoother why didn't GM change the firing order also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Because they haven't had enough warranty failures on stock engines to consider it an issue. Nor have they admitted to there being one. So why would they change things when they can make more on parts down the road?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Because they haven't had enough warranty failures on stock engines to consider it an issue. Nor have they admitted to there being one. So why would they change things when they can make more on parts down the road?

I see your point. And while I don't necessarily disagree with you, I have to ask how you can explain the very comprehensive redesign of the crank itself?

Main bearing failure on Stock engines is almost non existent. So why the drastic change in crank design if not to address the crank breakage?

And if they were just looking to beef it up, why not change the firing order as well while they are designing and releasing a completely redesigned and updated engine? I mean changing the firing order for GM is literally as easy as adding a second scoop of sugar to your morning coffee. Yeah it requires a few updates to manuals, a different design spec to the cam manufacturer, and they gotta insert some wire pins in different holes as it comes down the assembly line. But when you consider the massive overhaul the L5P got, it's nothing. If the alternate fire cam did any good whatsoever GM would have switched to it by now.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Why doesn't gm make them come factory efi tuned with 500hp and a triple disk converter and no emissions etc etc etc. always room for improvement.

This statement is just silly. If you actually have to ask why GM doesn't use EFI live to tune a Duramax ECM then you have quite a bit to learn.

I love EFI live, and it's a great tool. But cmon, you do realize GM writes the calibration for the ECMs long before EFI live, and company's like Efi live simply jack a small portion of what GM wrote to give us the ability to make changes to it right?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
This statement is just silly. If you actually have to ask why GM doesn't use EFI live to tune a Duramax ECM then you have quite a bit to learn.

I love EFI live, and it's a great tool. But cmon, you do realize GM writes the calibration for the ECMs long before EFI live, and company's like Efi live simply jack a small portion of what GM wrote to give us the ability to make changes to it right?

But towing with a max effort tune would be so fun.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC

Wasn't meaning that literally by any means at all. I may be young but I'm not completely stupid. I was just trying to say there's always room for improvement internally and externally on any engine produced. Yes they may have redesigned the crank. Maybe it was to fix an issue, maybe not. I know exactly why they don't use EFILive. Because gm controls ultimately what's programmed into the ecm and every other function of the truck. They don't need any kind of third party service for it. Just making a statement that whatever is in there whether updated or not, can always be improved some way or some how. Even the most advanced fully built duramax engine with every single bell and whistle imagineable will be obsolete some time or another. Your earlier long statement fully cleared up why there's so much hate on af cams. Well sorta. But it's what I was looking for

Last edited:

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
It will be interesting to see the full aftermarket response to the L5P after having the same "base" drive train for 5 variations.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It will be interesting to see the full aftermarket response to the L5P after having the same "base" drive train for 5 variations.

Until it can be tuned or retrofitted with something to boost power, I wouldn't expect much.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I believe the issue is with harmonics. Does the AF cam help, probably. I think the main issue is with how well the crank was balanced. 110,000 miles on a stock LMM crank and it's seen at least 2000 1/4 runs. It should be a little over 900hp now. I'm hoping it'll last when I up the power.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I see your point. And while I don't necessarily disagree with you, I have to ask how you can explain the very comprehensive redesign of the crank itself?

Main bearing failure on Stock engines is almost non existent. So why the drastic change in crank design if not to address the crank breakage?

And if they were just looking to beef it up, why not change the firing order as well while they are designing and releasing a completely redesigned and updated engine? I mean changing the firing order for GM is literally as easy as adding a second scoop of sugar to your morning coffee. Yeah it requires a few updates to manuals, a different design spec to the cam manufacturer, and they gotta insert some wire pins in different holes as it comes down the assembly line. But when you consider the massive overhaul the L5P got, it's nothing. If the alternate fire cam did any good whatsoever GM would have switched to it by now.

Who knows. Could be for emissions reasons. Or fuel economy.

If Fingers testing doesn't prove that harmonics is reduced with an af then who am I to argue with that? It may not help as much with the breaks behind #1 main but for the other ones like mine, I feel it would have helped it last longer for sure.

Is it the be all end all to fix cranks? I don't believe so. I think a better designed crank and maybe block as well would be the best option. At least steps in the right direction are being made. When they become more affordable then even better.

wilrob

Back in the Motherland
Sep 14, 2016
Dallas, TX
Until it can be tuned or retrofitted with something to boost power, I wouldn't expect much.

Hey that is what makes it interesting. I always enjoy real world innovation and testing being done on new applications, mainly because I don't have the tools or knowledge to create the hard parts. With the apparent ECM/tuning difficulties, people are going to have to find power somewhere else for now.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hey that is what makes it interesting. I always enjoy real world innovation and testing being done on new applications, mainly because I don't have the tools or knowledge to create the hard parts. With the apparent ECM/tuning difficulties, people are going to have to find power somewhere else for now.

trust me, im all for getting power out of these new setups. the new crank and rods are heavy duty pieces and if the parts have quality behind them, we could be seeing 800-1000rwhp stock short blocks. just need someone to do some side by side comparisons of the l5p engine and the older gens to see if we can retrofit cranks/rods

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
trust me, im all for getting power out of these new setups. the new crank and rods are heavy duty pieces and if the parts have quality behind them, we could be seeing 800-1000rwhp stock short blocks. just need someone to do some side by side comparisons of the l5p engine and the older gens to see if we can retrofit cranks/rods

I'm keeping an eye out to get my hands on one but no luck so far. No ones blown one up yet :spit:

Also, has anyone tried one of these? Edit: coming out in a few weeks.

http://afepower.com/afe-power-77-44010-pk-scorcher-hd-power-package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us

Chevy, so freaking close I can smell it now.. :thumb:

New NB Fluidampr units bolted to the front, and 68lbs of flywheel mass on the back end. Yielding somewhere around my body weight worth of total rotating mass. I'm not a small guy either... But was still kinda nervous about the Callies cranks, until I tore down a stock LMM last week. The difference in materials alone is so evident, I'm more worried about busting main caps now.

When GM increased the overlap and moved the reluctor ring to the back end, I realized that they are on top of this issue. The random missfire glitch those of us swapping engines into setups without a torque converter have witnessed tells the tale. GM didn't move that reluctor ring just to make it harder for tech's to change a pickup.

Torsional twisting in V8 diesels is massive compared to an inline 6. There's a reason majority of your big industrial diesels are all inline. Same reason a Cummins has counter weights the size of a pack of smokes. Naturally balanced vs inherently unbalanced designs. I love the Duramax, but have to conclude they would perform better as a two stroke..

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Well that brings us back to the point that's already been made, the factory block was engineered for 300hp... torsional twisting is not a problem at 300hp, throw and turbo and tune on and you're at 600hp, which would require a complete redesign of everything from a factory point of view. Also consider the fact that the Cummins engine is a medium duty engine to start with.... significany over built for a light duty truck... The Duramax was designed for pickup trucks from the start. The two engines are not in the same catagory period, so the comparison is very biased. It's an unfair comparison imo.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Well that brings us back to the point that's already been made, the factory block was engineered for 300hp... torsional twisting is not a problem at 300hp, throw and turbo and tune on and you're at 600hp, which would require a complete redesign of everything from a factory point of view. Also consider the fact that the Cummins engine is a medium duty engine to start with.... significany over built for a light duty truck... The Duramax was designed for pickup trucks from the start. The two engines are not in the same catagory period, so the comparison is very biased. It's an unfair comparison imo.

I ly problem is bone stock trucks break cranks.