Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
So that's $7,500 (assuming externally balanced is the cheaper option) for a crank, rods, and balance once you buy pistons? Would this RA be overkill for a DD with small twins <600hp ?

Corey
I think it would be. Just do a new crank and af cam.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
So that's $7,500 (assuming externally balanced is the cheaper option) for a crank, rods, and balance once you buy pistons? Would this RA be overkill for a DD with small twins <600hp ?

Corey

Most likely it would be, but stock trucks break cranks too. It's the luck of the draw. The Callie's setup will be geared more towards the street applications.

57ringo

Oct 4, 2015
Emporia ks
I talked to a guy the other day that has worked on a lot of them and he said every one he knows that broke a crankshaft was at low RPM's and lugging it.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Im probably going to jinx myself for posting on this thread and for saying this but i cant believe my crank/rods have not broke/bent yet. I had max effort built trans tuning that made 515hp/1000tq and was hard on it with that setup for 50,000 miles, then ran a s472 never dynoed it with that but im sure it was pushing close to 700, now im running billet s366 and it makes 660hp and 1,120tq for about 15,000 miles. Truck has 187,000 on it now. The way i drove it today i cant believe it made it home. :thumb:. I have a built short block in progress bc im just waiting for that day to come that I window the block or wad the mains up in it. Are there other people out there that have ran a stock bottom end for quite a while without an issue?
Mikediesel beat on his lly alot. I gave up count on turbo setups but I'd fare to say in the 5-10 range if not more. I think Mike made over 800 with his 472. Never killed that motor...dudes truck is a freak and he is very close with his tuner so they got that puppy well dialed in

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Mikediesel beat on his lly alot. I gave up count on turbo setups but I'd fare to say in the 5-10 range if not more. I think Mike made over 800 with his 472. Never killed that motor...dudes truck is a freak and he is very close with his tuner so they got that puppy well dialed in

He didn't make over 800 track proven 680-700iirc he did dyno like 750 on custom autos dyno.

My stock crank took 275k and almost 100k of that at 600+hp and 1000+ tq never broke

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
He didn't make over 800 track proven 680-700iirc he did dyno like 750 on custom autos dyno.

My stock crank took 275k and almost 100k of that at 600+hp and 1000+ tq never broke
I thought he hit over 800, maybe it was 750 I don't remember. I know they dyno isn't the real calculator.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS

Well then mine might just make it until i get this other one built lol
Its just weird bc an older gentlemen i talked to said he had an LBZ that broke the crank at a stoplight at IDLE and it was COMPLETELY stock, nothing had been done to that truck at all. Im going with a New LML crank with AF cam so we'll see how that setup goes.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Mt stock engine I had on the race truck took a single 75mm on stock sticks set on kill 3 days of beating on it before it bend a rod. My luck caught up to me lol

Git so sick of waiting for my crank to break I said screw it and moved on from a dmax. Happy with my tractor and spark plug truck

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I talked to a guy the other day that has worked on a lot of them and he said every one he knows that broke a crankshaft was at low RPM's and lugging it.
Or at cruising rpm's- 1500-1800 rpm range.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
It's impossible to do but I'd like to know the percentage of Duramax trucks that have broken cranks.

If my truck ever breaks the crank I'll probably be done with Duramax's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
It's impossible to do but I'd like to know the percentage of Duramax trucks that have broken cranks.

If my truck ever breaks the crank I'll probably be done with Duramax's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Percentage as in all dmax built vs those that have broken? Or which models have broken in comparison to each other? There is a poll in this thread that gives you a bit of an indication to the latter.

Not sure everyone that posted they broke in this thread did the poll though.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Percentage as in all dmax built vs those that have broken? Or which models have broken in comparison to each other? There is a poll in this thread that gives you a bit of an indication to the latter.

Not sure everyone that posted they broke in this thread did the poll though.

i cant see the poll without selecting a crank i broke... i havent broke one yet :D

201k on my stock crank and built the engine 41k ago. i stay between 600hp and 800 but mainly on 600hp. its seen LOTS of low rpm pulls under boost and heavy throttle when i tow, stock or built. thats from 1500rpm on up.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Interesting. I'll ask Rob if he can make it visible without voting.

For those that can't see it 129 have voted and 55% were lbz/lmm, 38% are lb7/lly, and 7% are LML's.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
At this point in time the LB7,LLY / LBZ,LMM comparison is the only meaningful comparison LML is still relatively new. What do you think this really means dose it point at any possible cause??? It sure would be nice if it was figured out..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Interesting. I'll ask Rob if he can make it visible without voting.

For those that can't see it 129 have voted and 55% were lbz/lmm, 38% are lb7/lly, and 7% are LML's.

good to know. thanks dale!

At this point in time the LB7,LLY / LBZ,LMM comparison is the only meaningful comparison LML is still relatively new. What do you think this really means dose it point at any possible cause??? It sure would be nice if it was figured out..

LML isnt new anymore. its been out since 2011 so we are going on 5 years. Hell the LBZ and LMM combined barely hits that mark. there certainly isnt as many "big HP builds" as their are the previous generations though which may part of the reason we dont see more.

Im still with what Ben and others said long ago. breaking a crank is rare and some of you all get paranoid. LBZ/LMM seems to be more prone due to where GM removed weight and added it back in (from pistons to balancer). iT makes sense. now ill probably go out, start my truck and my crank will break :rofl:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
good to know. thanks dale!

LML isnt new anymore. its been out since 2011 so we are going on 5 years. Hell the LBZ and LMM combined barely hits that mark. there certainly isnt as many "big HP builds" as their are the previous generations though which may part of the reason we dont see more.

Im still with what Ben and others said long ago. breaking a crank is rare and some of you all get paranoid. LBZ/LMM seems to be more prone due to where GM removed weight and added it back in (from pistons to balancer). iT makes sense. now ill probably go out, start my truck and my crank will break :rofl:
Thanks for the breakdown I didn't realize the LBZ/LMM was such a short run. I am a little paranoid reading through all this, I certainly hope neither of us break a crank.
:hug:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
There are plenty of LML's with as many or more miles as the rest of the models that haven't broke both stock and built respectively. Many were stockish when they did break but regardless the numbers aren't as high as the LBZ/LMM even though the lml has more stock hp/tq. LML has been in production almost as long as the LBZ/LMM.

This leads me to believe that either the crank was better in them or they do not have as big of a harmonics issue as the later models. Either way I went new LML crank and AF cam so will see how that works out for me.

Also I believe the cracking piston issue in the LBZ/LMM was more of a crap shoot bad luck of the draw then the broken cranks are. I still believe the crank thing is more of a when not if problem if you own an LMM or older. My recommendation is to never reuse a crank regardless of what it looks like. The $600 odd dollars for the LML seems to be worth it in my mind.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
There are plenty of LML's with as many or more miles as the rest of the models that haven't broke both stock and built respectively. Many were stockish when they did break but regardless the numbers aren't as high as the LBZ/LMM even though the lml has more stock hp/tq. LML has been in production almost as long as the LBZ/LMM.

This leads me to believe that either the crank was better in them or they do not have as big of a harmonics issue as the later models. Either way I went new LML crank and AF cam so will see how that works out for me.

Also I believe the cracking piston issue in the LBZ/LMM was more of a crap shoot bad luck of the draw then the broken cranks are. I still believe the crank thing is more of a when not if problem if you own an LMM or older. My recommendation is to never reuse a crank regardless of what it looks like. The $600 odd dollars for the LML seems to be worth it in my mind.

What needs to be changed and/or machined to accommodate a LML crank in a early model block? (If anything).. I'm Sure it has been discussed somewhere at some time on here but I can't recall.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I believe there have been more LML's built than any other gen code. I think I read that GM has some type of balancing program in the Ecu. Maybe that's what's helping them out...