Broken Crankshaft Count?

Please pick the one that you had break

• Total voters

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Not correct. Nitriding toughens the surface reducing the origination of a crack on the surface.

Cryo is a parts treatment that stress relieves the whole part without impacting it's heat treated properties. Especially good for heavily machined parts or parts with odd mass properties that would develop internal stresses from heat treatment.

Both address specific failure modes and are not exclusive to each other.

Yep, your right I should have researched that a little better.

I guess its some of both depending on what you read.

Any progress on this yet?

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Just had an 05 lly show up today with a broken crankshaft. 180k on it. Max effort tuning, with a built trans no other performance mods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

moparkxracer

Jun 25, 2010
Out and about
If I break one that is the route I'm going.

It's definitely related to the filet to my understanding, that is where the Winberg crank comes in that Wade and Wagler use...the Aluminum Hemi rods have a smaller diameter rod journal to my understanding, but the rods are narrower and use a narrower bearing, the have a much better filet and stronger rod journal... I do not know of any broken Winberg cranks with that rod combo.

Any broken billet crank I've heard of was built as a replica to OEM crank specs out of what I would expect to be best materials and processes on the market, leading me to believe it is a filet and journal problem...

All just my opinion

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It's definitely related to the filet to my understanding, that is where the Winberg crank comes in that Wade and Wagler use...the Aluminum Hemi rods have a smaller diameter rod journal to my understanding, but the rods are narrower and use a narrower bearing, the have a much better filet and stronger rod journal... I do not know of any broken Winberg cranks with that rod combo.

Any broken billet crank I've heard of was built as a replica to OEM crank specs out of what I would expect to be best materials and processes on the market, leading me to believe it is a filet and journal problem...

All just my opinion

That seems very logical to me.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Add me to 3 more lol... One well documented LLY crank failure (mine) posted on here awhile back and we just finished putting back together my (second) buddies LB7 motor after crank failure. My two friends that don't post on the forums were stock motors, max effort tuning, built transmissions, stock turbo, stock fuel, both over 150k miles but less then 180k. All 3 above broke at number 2 journal..

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA

All just my opinion

Any ideas on price? Anybody running this setup in a DD to not have to worry about breaking a crank? Can/has Jon (Fingers) evaluate(d) the design?

Corey

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Hasn't been as many LML's as others for whichever reason and I've yet to hear of an AF cam engine that was put together in a DD with a new, not previously used crank breaking yet.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
Any ideas on price? Anybody running this setup in a DD to not have to worry about breaking a crank? Can/has Jon (Fingers) evaluate(d) the design?

Corey

It depends on which crank you go with and internal or external balance. The Callie's internal balanced setup is $4,300. A Winberg is roughly $4,250 and then you're looking at $500-$2,000 for balancing. Rods are $2,650 either way. If the Callie's setup pans out it should be a great option for most. I'm going to run this setup on my street truck that I plan to be around 1,000hp.

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
So that's $7,500 (assuming externally balanced is the cheaper option) for a crank, rods, and balance once you buy pistons? Would this RA be overkill for a DD with small twins <600hp ?

Corey

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Im probably going to jinx myself for posting on this thread and for saying this but i cant believe my crank/rods have not broke/bent yet. I had max effort built trans tuning that made 515hp/1000tq and was hard on it with that setup for 50,000 miles, then ran a s472 never dynoed it with that but im sure it was pushing close to 700, now im running billet s366 and it makes 660hp and 1,120tq for about 15,000 miles. Truck has 187,000 on it now. The way i drove it today i cant believe it made it home. :thumb:. I have a built short block in progress bc im just waiting for that day to come that I window the block or wad the mains up in it. Are there other people out there that have ran a stock bottom end for quite a while without an issue?