Brodix cylinder heads for the Duramax

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
why are they flowed at 48 versus 28 like other cylinder heads? it is the same concept only reason I could see is to up the flow numbers on paper?

Too bad they can't be flowed under a boost situation to see if these 350+ cfm heads are even gaining anything... Maybe they do it to closer simulate boost on the back side of the valve, I have no idea.

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
Too bad they can't be flowed under a boost situation to see if these 350+ cfm heads are even gaining anything... Maybe they do it to closer simulate boost on the back side of the valve, I have no idea.

I was just curious because we are going over flow rates and what not in class (school of automotive machinists) and the owner judd has done a lot of research flowing heads im not saying you are wrong just haven't heard that I will run it by him Monday and see what reasoning maybe im just trying to get info and learn as much as I can

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
The Wagler/Brodix heads are expensive, yes. Have experienced some bumps in the road to this point, yes. Have they been cracking, yes some have. They are still better than anything else current available on the market when you are pushing for the maximum hp and rpm power possible. This year has been a very expensive one for Wagler and us in the R&D department figuring out what works and what doesn't. Brett's truck is a perfect example of this. He has been fighting head and head gasket issues all season and it looks like Wagler might have found the answer to his problem on Brett's motor and hopefully it spills over for the rest of our competition trucks. For those of you that are asking for the difference between these heads versus other heads available as far as hp or dyno curves, the difference we see is much wider power curves and a lot more sustained rpm hp. In drag racing were you are not limited on air you may not see as big of an advantage depending on your setups as you will in the pulling world. The major difference I see is from a tuning stand point. You are able to produce a lot more hp with alot less fuel and timing and it has much better rev gain because of it. For example Brett's truck running on tune3 ran 8.89@158mph on a 1847us @17.4 degrees@3250rpms on 175%inj with 102psi and 1550-1700degrees egt's on fuel only. When it grabs 3rd gr locked up it accelerates from 2650-4700rpms in 6 secs and is going from 13.5 degrees up to 20 degrees of timing max. Here is the video of the run and you can see that it runs clean also! The pistons are also helping some in this and they are proving to be most impressive to the amount of load they are holding without issue. Hope this info helps and doesn't confuse you more. If they didn't work we wouldn't continue to push forward with them to try and fix some of the issues we have had along the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1EyHMARDg

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I highly doubt they Crack any more than a stock ported head. You need at least .200 of materials at the thins points. It really isn't something that you can see. It would take some sonic testing to give an indicator of thickness and most guys don't have all the equipment to test it all. Therefore you get failures.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The Wagler/Brodix heads are expensive, yes. Have experienced some bumps in the road to this point, yes. Have they been cracking, yes some have. They are still better than anything else current available on the market when you are pushing for the maximum hp and rpm power possible. This year has been a very expensive one for Wagler and us in the R&D department figuring out what works and what doesn't. Brett's truck is a perfect example of this. He has been fighting head and head gasket issues all season and it looks like Wagler might have found the answer to his problem on Brett's motor and hopefully it spills over for the rest of our competition trucks. For those of you that are asking for the difference between these heads versus other heads available as far as hp or dyno curves, the difference we see is much wider power curves and a lot more sustained rpm hp. In drag racing were you are not limited on air you may not see as big of an advantage depending on your setups as you will in the pulling world. The major difference I see is from a tuning stand point. You are able to produce a lot more hp with alot less fuel and timing and it has much better rev gain because of it. For example Brett's truck running on tune3 ran 8.89@158mph on a 1847us @17.4 degrees@3250rpms on 175%inj with 102psi and 1550-1700degrees egt's on fuel only. When it grabs 3rd gr locked up it accelerates from 2650-4700rpms in 6 secs and is going from 13.5 degrees up to 20 degrees of timing max. Here is the video of the run and you can see that it runs clean also! The pistons are also helping some in this and they are proving to be most impressive to the amount of load they are holding without issue. Hope this info helps and doesn't confuse you more. If they didn't work we wouldn't continue to push forward with them to try and fix some of the issues we have had along the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1EyHMARDg
Not to sidetrack too much but watching that run a certain someone needs to see that so they know what a smokeless tuning "program" is supposed to look like!!