Bolt In Coilovers, Drop, Helper Bags, and other stuff Build

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So how do you determine what your vehicle needs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

put your truck on a scale,calculators and even then, you gotta know what your looking for.

Knowing what the unsprung weight of your front end is will determind what coil you need. then you need to understand spring rates, suspension geometry, and working angles

ctrump90

ctrump90
Jan 11, 2012
Clare, IL
put your truck on a scale,calculators and even then, you gotta know what your looking for.

Knowing what the unsprung weight of your front end is will determind what coil you need. then you need to understand spring rates, suspension geometry, and working angles

Sounds like I need to buy another book

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Im personally not concerned about my cv angle, but I probably wouldn't suggest most people to go this low. If i do tear one up then I will raise it up a bit since I've got plenty of room to do so. Also I'm not sure how the drop control arms would help get the CV angle in check at the same hight? maybe I'm missing something, but I only see it helping the camber and maybe change the lower shock mounting position? Ive never seen the DJM control arms, we try and avoid most DJM stuff because it doesn't ride as good as mcgaughys (for the 1/2 ton stuff anyway). I got the Mcgaughys drop spindles (but didn't use them) to fix camber if it was way out of line, but it looks like there is plenty of camber adjustment to get it within spec.

EDIT: also wanted to point out, with the coilovers and the CV angles, remember that there is a lot less travel than there is with a regular torsion bar or coil spring setup. Because of this you can run lower and not have to worry about over extending the axles.

Also I saw a question about the preload? We are at zero preload at this hight, actually a little "negative" you could say. The spring has about 1/8" of play when in the air. Over the next week or so we are going to play with the ride hight and see how much adjustment on the spring will net us x" in ride hight. Theres a few options up in the air right now about how to get more adjustment out of the shorter 8" springs, so once we start playing with ride hight we can decide whats the best way to go there. Like ive said, this is still in the testing phase. We want to make sure they work with stock upper and lower shock mounts with no structural modification (which from Jon's experience and knowledge we aren't expecting any problems or need for reinforcement)

The truck is ready to go as of tonight, I just need to load a tune that will work with all my other new mods and I will start testing tomorrow evening. If everything goes as planed these will be available in ~2 weeks[/QUOTE]

About your CV angles, when mine looked like that, only opposite, in a positive bad way, one boosted launch ripped the drivers side apart....at only 500-550whp. So in order to use 4wd and pound on it your CV angle needs to be 0° or very close to it, the torque of the duramax is so much greater than your SS could ever create, it will literally pull them apart

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
About your CV angles, when mine looked like that, only opposite, in a positive bad way, one boosted launch ripped the drivers side apart....at only 500-550whp. So in order to use 4wd and pound on it your CV angle needs to be 0° or very close to it, the torque of the duramax is so much greater than your SS could ever create, it will literally pull them apart

On your lifted truck, when you launch the front suspension unloads. So when this happens the CV tries to extend even more, and the angle gets worse. This plus the power you were making ripped them apart. When your lowered, and your angle is pointing up, and you launch; as your weight transfers the CV angles get better. Personally i dont use 4x4 often, and when i race I mainly do roll racing so there is no need for it. Thats why personally im not worried about it, it wont affect me like it might others.

The DJM arms tuck in the tires alot which keep the CV from being pulled out.

They will pull the bottom of the wheel in, putting your camber back in check. Or do they make upper arms as well? Uppers and lowers would pull the entire wheel in (if thats how they are made), but to my understanding its more of an angle problem and not the CV being to stretched out? I haven't done the alignment yet so thats why my camber is so bad.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
The lower arm tucks in the tire. When you get it aligned, there is enough adjustment in the upper arm to pull the tire in.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
i just had a little birdy tell me that he is working on your tunes at this very moment :)

Haha yep I got em! It's greatly appreciated! Tomorrow I hope to post up all the technical info, we tore one side back down and took pictures of everything at full extension and compression with measurement pics as well. So hopefully it will answer everyone's questions on the coilovers.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
On your lifted truck, when you launch the front suspension unloads. So when this happens the CV tries to extend even more, and the angle gets worse. This plus the power you were making ripped them apart. When your lowered, and your angle is pointing up, and you launch; as your weight transfers the CV angles get better. Personally i dont use 4x4 often, and when i race I mainly do roll racing so there is no need for it. Thats why personally im not worried about it, it wont affect me like it might others.

I understand your logic, and the fact that you are not worried about it, and I also understand how the cv axle works, which is why I am worried about it, I believe that the angle is too great to begin with, yes as weight transfers the angle will get better, however, the the angle is there, period. When the force is applied the angle will be to great to allow the cv to turn efficiently or quick enough during the weight transfer you are counting on to happen to straighten the cv's out, at this point the cv will rip apart, before the weight transfer can happen, before you can blink an eye

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
I understand your logic, and the fact that you are not worried about it, and I also understand how the cv axle works, which is why I am worried about it, I believe that the angle is too great to begin with, yes as weight transfers the angle will get better, however, the the angle is there, period. When the force is applied the angle will be to great to allow the cv to turn efficiently or quick enough during the weight transfer you are counting on to happen to straighten the cv's out, at this point the cv will rip apart, before the weight transfer can happen, before you can blink an eye

If I break one, I break one...