Best Intercooler for DD weekend warrior

Best Intercooler for DD weekend warrior?

• Banks

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • spearco

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • BD

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
I am thinking about upgrading my factory intercooler and would like to here some oppinions from those of you that have upgraded and also which one you would recommend?

1. Banks...

2. spearco....

3. BD....

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I haven't had any problems with my Spearco. Some don't like them but mine has been fine. BD is a newer design and Banks has a lot of claims. The one with the best price will probably fit the bill for you.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Cheapest one I have seen so far is the Banks surprisingly:) We do already have a Banks intercooler in the LB7 work truck and its held up fine the last few years towing but theres no gauges in that truck and its kinda apples to oranges in comparison to the LLY and it's current and upcoming mod's:D

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Cheapest one I have seen so far is the Banks surprisingly:) We do already have a Banks intercooler in the LB7 work truck and its held up fine the last few years towing but theres no gauges in that truck and its kinda apples to oranges in comparison to the LLY and it current and upcoming mod's:D

From what i have heard most in the 600hp range have not seen any gain. BUT! either the BD or BANKS intercooler would be a great choice

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
one of these days when my connection here is fast enough, i'll be calling the guys at Bell Intercoolers for a price for one of their custom units. Russ had the idea that it would be more durable and cheaper than the current offerings, even the BD which is what i would choose otherwise. BD has the best core design, same design i'd be going with, but the end tanks need to have as much support as possible. I don't know anyone who has dissected the BD yet to find out how the tanks are supported to prevent ballooning, but if someone has, please post up your findings:thumb:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Thanks for the replies fellas:thumb: I am up in the air between the BD and Banks at the moment, but have to decide on something soon. Can anyone tell me what differances the LB7 to LLY intercooler have? Maybe I could just swap intercoolers with the LB7:confused:

Rand1027

Somewhere huffing diesel
Oct 5, 2009
Ruston, La
I have the spearco no problems here, only thing I had quite a time installing it. Just seemed a little to big to fit but then again I didnt have any help putting it in so that might have been my problem :thumb:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have owned both the Banks and now the BD and they both are decent units. How ever after owning both i think the BD is far Beefier , Physically bigger , and has a better / higher flowing core design . I have never owned the Speirco but I know a few people have ballooned them out under moderate to big boost.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
as far as i know, the lb7 and lly coolers are the same.

Thanks^^ I just checked BD's site and they list there cooler LB7/LLY:thumb:

I have owned both the Banks and now the BD and they both are decent units. How ever after owning both i think the BD is far Beefier , Physically bigger , and has a better / higher flowing core design . I have never owned the Speirco but I know a few people have ballooned them out under moderate to big boost.

I think I am going to give BD another shot;) I do like the fact the banks intercooler comes with the bigger boost tubes, but the BD looks stouter and with first hand experience coming from you on both items, I am confident I'll be happy:thumb:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Should I just order directly through BD or is there a better (cheaper) avenue?? I thought I read a thread on here about Duramax diesels users getting a discount:confused: 5% Maybe?:confused:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

still have the banks?

im considering a custom built one.....waterous says they have a company that can make them to any dimension and pressure rating

the cost is similar to a banks,BD And considering this company they recomend builds intercoolers for a living i would not have a issue using them.....really its not like the componys build them in house.

I would like to go bigger than the stocker and have bigger in/out or at the least bigger out to reduce back pressure on the cooler

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
anyone put one in a truck that tows and seen any gains? not so much hp, but egts or hell, even mileage

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
Since this thread is back from the dead, If anyone needs the BD spacer plate I have one sitting in the garage taking up space that I dont need......

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
Since this thread is back from the dead, If anyone needs the BD spacer plate I have one sitting in the garage taking up space that I dont need......

How has the intercooler held up fpr you? What feedback can you give on the one you installed or experience from gains or changes to what you have?