Best Intercooler for DD weekend warrior

Best Intercooler for DD weekend warrior?

• Banks

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • spearco

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • BD

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
How has the intercooler held up fpr you? What feedback can you give on the one you installed or experience from gains or changes to what you have?

My BD showed up damaged with both mounting tabs snapped clean off :mad:
After jumping through hoops with UPS I finally got a refund a couple months later. In the mean time the crank snapped on my built motor and I never got around to ordering another one.. I still have the mounting/spacer plate sitting here since UPS only took the damaged intercooler back. The Banks on our work rig works well and definetly drops the EGT's some while towing but that truck never see's over 450 RWHP and 30lb's of boost so its not a great canditate for a review in a high boost performance Application..

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
Anyone tried the new intercooler from DTS?

I was told it should flow better than all three mentioned in the thread, but I'd like to hear from people actually running it.

Attachments

• DTS Intercooler.jpg
    DTS Intercooler.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 112

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y

I was told it should flow better than all three mentioned in the thread, but I'd like to hear from people actually running it.

I dont know anyone running one but for the money they seem like a bargain assuming they perform as advertised...

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
ive been running a CG&J in mine all year, has held up to over 100psi boost without problems so far. at under$1000 shipped its affordable compared to most others. i have the "high performance unit" which is 1" thicker then the stock unit.
it'll be for sale soon :D gonna build an A/W setup.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Near as I can tell all LB7 & LLY intercoolers are leaking at the corners.... I'm to chicken to check mine, another 1000 bucks down the drain I guess:thumb:

mtl_dmax

Dec 7, 2010
Eastern Canada
Near as I can tell all LB7 & LLY intercoolers are leaking at the corners.... I'm to chicken to check mine, another 1000 bucks down the drain I guess:thumb:

That's good to know, at least it gives us some area to focus on rather than just hosing the whole thing down with soapy water and hoping to find something.

When you say corners, I assume you mean where the end tanks attached to the CAC?

flyinelvis11

May 11, 2010
VG, IL (because my wife does)
ive been running a CG&J in mine all year, has held up to over 100psi boost without problems so far. at under$1000 shipped its affordable compared to most others. i have the "high performance unit" which is 1" thicker then the stock unit.
it'll be for sale soon :D gonna build an A/W setup.

i call dibs. i'm doing a turbo and 3" y-bridge so might as well go to 3" boost tubes and intercooler

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i was wondering, since its been 2 years from the time of the op, if anynody had anything to share.

Who makes the better ic?
One topic i have not seen addressed is external air flow through the core? How much air is getting to the radiator? And if the bigger intercooler is doing its job of shedding heat from the charge air, how much warmer is the air hitting rhe radiator going to be? Could a aftermarket ic actually cause your fan to kick on more while towing?
Just some thoughts/questions i have. Thanks everyone.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.

I got one of Dave's IC's here about two weeks ago. Materials and quality look very good. I should have the truck back on the road in about three weeks, and will hit the track soon after.

Headless_Horseman

Street Sleeper
Sep 27, 2011
Stn Mtn. Ga/Iraq
I saw one of the DTS IC's going in a truck when I was home on leave, it is a beefy unit that's for sure. That thing is solid, if I hadn't put a Banks IC in there before David had his I would be putting his in there. I will have to say with an Aftermarket IC the EGTs don't climb as fast when towing and tend to cool off quicker. Before my turbo swap they would still peak about the same it just took bigger loads or steeper hills to get it there versus average conditions. I would have to say though you cant go wrong with that DTS unit, it will be in my next rig that's for sure.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I've done a couple of different brands and I'll give my opinion here.

Under 500 HP and used on the street only... Stay Stock

500 - 750 hp or race / sled only.... run the Banks

Over this I'd do the Spearco

I did one that actually hurt my 550 hp truck towing and on the street. Even at 550 HP the Banks added a little throttle lag down low.

The problem is that most of the aftermarket units add flow & cooling by simply adding volume and enlarging everything. When you do this it usually works great at high RPM but at lower RPM you now have a storage unit you MUST fill before the PSI builds and the motor gets it. :( A near stock motor does not really need anymore flow, it just needs better cooling. ;)

Last edited:

emiller3

He's Back
Feb 21, 2009
lake charles,LA.
I have heard lots of people having trouble with the spearco units coming apart with big boost. We have a banks still holding together but would like to see a larger one in its place.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Nice info Rick! So Im curious(as always) on your 550 truck, what were the intentions for the upgrade(failed stock, purely performance), granted its 550hp, and yours, did you run stock manifolds on that truck, or your own(profab)? I "think" a good set of manifolds & uppies would @ least compensate, if not completely make up for any lag that would be gained from the added volume of air to pressurize, from the aftermarket ic. Do you not loose resistance(pressure drop) when adding an aftermarket ic, even if you were to have felt like there was more lag, because of less "pumping losses" wouldnt you attain the same power levels with less amount of work? I totally get what you are saying about the benifits being seen on the top of the rpm band, but after you installed the ic, did it spool slower, really, or just different?

I ordered a new BD intercooler. The stock one has a small leak, so i"needed" to replace it. Not what i wanted to hear, about the spool down lo.