Best Intercooler for DD weekend warrior

Best Intercooler for DD weekend warrior?

• Banks

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • spearco

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • BD

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Well thanks for the input, i will get my bd ic mon morn(been trackin that sum beech for almost 2 wks) i hope its a direct bolt right in nothin else needed install. I dont know how much more waiting i can take. I wanna fire up my rig again, and im gettin sick of lookin at the ft end all tore down

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
I've been running a CH&J for about 15k miles with over 100psi of boost. Has held up so far. Much larger than stock it is 1" thicker.
I agree with Rick on the larger coolers hurting performance in a stock, or lower boost/lower hp engine because of the larger volume.
I Have heard (not seen in person) of quit a few spearco failures at boost pressures less then 65 lbs..
The CG&J is the cheapest of them all price wise, then the banks is second cheapest, if that matters.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just ordered a CG&J high performance intercooler for the boss's race truck today.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Did some charge air temp testing on my truck before and after the install of the DTS intercooler. Saw great results, lower charge air temps and lower EGT's. Stock fueling. Very pleased with it.

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Did some charge air temp testing on my truck before and after the install of the DTS intercooler. Saw great results, lower charge air temps and lower EGT's. Stock fueling. Very pleased with it.

Did you notice any more lag down low that RDL mentioned earlier?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

X2?
I will be testing my stocker when I yank it and I do suspect there to already be a leak or two so I may need to change it out. I like the BD that Simon ran and also the fact I can get it in Canada saves a bunch of shipping and duty nonsense.
I haven't priced them out yet though but I think the DTS one would be my second choice.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Sub. Definitely interested in this as well. Not looking to add much more fuel or air to my truck currently. Just want to make the setup I have run as efficiently as possible.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah

To be honest, I didn't really. I live at 4500-ft elevation, so lag is kind of something you learn to live with and drive around. I didn't notice any change in driveability at all. Boost levels run the same at wot as well. But you can see a major difference in my post I/C temp sensor, both at cruise at low boost and wot. Haven't been able to tow with it yet, but seeing the drop at 2-3psi cruising, tells me it's going to be a major improvement when towing at 15-20psi...

2866693460075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I just ordered a CG&J high performance intercooler for the boss's race truck today.

what one did you go with josh? the HP one or the stock replacement? do you mind PMing me what it was shipped to the shop? i need to get rid of my POS leaky stocker after christmas.

Benltr

Jan 17, 2012
Does an intercooler really help power wise? Or its more for the lower EGT you guys running it? I have the 475/stocker twin setup.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Does an intercooler really help power wise? Or its more for the lower EGT you guys running it? I have the 475/stocker twin setup.

It's more about improving airflow and temperature drop. But cooler charge temps means denser air into the motor. Better air density could equate to better power... Not going to be seat of the pants though.