Allison 5sp: ats stg 3 ????

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Where do you live? Mike L. on the west side of the country, George AKA on here as Big Dipper on the East Coast are the guys that I would personally consult before making any decisions.

Personally, after buying ATS' 5 star and seeing how noisey it is, I wouldn't recommend that converter to anyone as a daily driver. Also that DPF thing they pulled was horsepoop and another reason I won't support them anymore.

But to each his own-buy what works best and fits your needs the most.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I do some searching on the parts in your wish list and then look for another converter.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Suncoast is having problems with their converters locking up and the warrenty sucks. Go with something else.

Sorry but I would rather have it hold up than have to pull it and send it back for "hassle free" warranty work all the time. ATS is having problems with their clutches delaminating, maybe they should leave putting clutch material on to the pros instead of trying to do it in house to save a buck?

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Sorry but I would rather have it hold up than have to pull it and send it back for "hassle free" warranty work all the time. ATS is having problems with their clutches delaminating, maybe they should leave putting clutch material on to the pros instead of trying to do it in house to save a buck?

Hold up? ok

Lets have it hold up and not work correctly:rolleyes: Lets sell something to these guys that might not work....

I know of a few guys who are using the Altos with the ATS 3 disc converter and having luck.

ATS warrenty is pretty good, had a guy break down last month 200mi from his house, ATS sent him a trans AND paid all labor to have the trans installed for the customer.

Yes, ATS used to have problems with the clutch material delaminating years ago. Old news...

Whats wrong with ATS making there own clutches in house? They have more surface area than the Suncoast plates and i have had great luck with mine. I have ran BOTH trannies in my truck. Have you?

I simply told the guy to go with something else because of the current SC TC issues.......

Last edited:

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
Suncoast is having success with their converters locking up. Who would want to go with something else?.

I totally agree...My 1057 has never skipped a beat in 45,000+ miles...I run a conservative 500 rwhp through my SC3 unit built in Inglewood...I drive hard, but it always shifts on time, always locks up on time, and I'm horrible about changing filters...

Hope Mike L. doesn't read this;)

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
Well there is a guy here with a white ext cab LLY and he has ATS extreme trans he sent off to crank it up diesel or danville performance one I really cant remember and it costed 6 plus thousand dollars to have it built and he is so sick of that thing it says it skips gears and when he hammers it, the trans goes crazy he has it for sale now cause he put his truck on the dyno made 485 rwhp and almost didnt even make it home. So when ever I get my money to spend on my trans upgrade im calling ROB and getting a suncoast stage 4

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Some like ATS and some likw Suncoast.......:rolleyes:

Who cares.

Every trans thread turns into a ATS/Suncoast bashing battle. It gets old.

If you want Suncoast then go for it. If you want ATS then good for you.

I know of a guy that knows of a guy who heard his buddys suncoast was not locking up....:rofl: Lots of false stories floating around out there i guess.