ATP no longer offering tuning?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm not one for conspiracies but I would have thought the ones those jackwads would have gone after would be the more prominent and better known big-name tuners. More specifically the ones located in the state where most of this pollution bs comes from. Not some dude in a small town in a small state. Just seems a bit fishy and there would seem that more is going on behind the scenes than we know. ALOT MORE!!!

That's a valid point something put a Target on him. I sure don't think it was The Man because he was somehow going to expose BS diesel emissions. That would be a black eye for diesel manufacturers for not being able to do the samething.

Are you sure about that? Nick used to offer an extensive tuning library for LB7 all the way up to LMM all you had to do was buy a V2 from him. I wonder how many shops still use his tunes as their own today? The Bac's record breaking stock truck tune was even in it.

Now I'm a self taught tuner so this don't mean crap, but I've see free his tunes. If you want to throw tuners under the bus for the EPA crack down on diesel smoke. Those free tunes should put him on the list forsure. I don't know if he ever made smoke Tunes or not, but he made sure all of them put out a puff to say the least. To be fair though most of us wanted some smoke back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
It is true unfortunately. ATP cannot sell custom tuning for any truck, even pre-emission, or trucks with factory emissions still on the vehicle. I'm sorry, this is not a business decision that i made, it has been made for us. Thank you to all of our great tuning customers, we have always tried to do a great job.

Rob clearly spelled it out for us in a nondescript way...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
This sucks. I wonder what the damages were

Danville hasn’t shown tuning services on their website in a long time if ever. For a few years I know for a fact

They added it to their website a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
Now I'm a self taught tuner so this don't mean crap, but I've see free his tunes. If you want to throw tuners under the bus for the EPA crack down on diesel smoke. Those free tunes should put him on the list forsure. I don't know if he ever made smoke Tunes or not, but he made sure all of them put out a puff to say the least. To be fair though most of us wanted some smoke back then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The tunes he had in the library were clean except the Max effort tunes and they only smoke if you are stupid with the throttle. He has a emissions intact truck that has done well in stock pulls. Of course back in the beginning no one realized how strict things were about to become. Rolling coal was cool until we all realized how negative it was going to effect our sport/hobby.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
The tunes he had in the library were clean except the Max effort tunes and they only smoke if you are stupid with the throttle. He has a emissions intact truck that has done well in stock pulls. Of course back in the beginning no one realized how strict things were about to become. Rolling coal was cool until we all realized how negative it was going to effect our sport/hobby.

I have a question.

You talk about this "emissions intact truck" doing well in pulls. Is this truck tuned? If so, why keep emissions intact if the truck is no longer EPA compliant due to the tune?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If it's tuned but still has all the emissions equipment the only positive I see is the ability to pass an emissions test. Otherwise what's the point? Just delete. You have no warranty anyways.

That said why would tuning and keeping all the emissions equipment on and active be in any way illegal or non compliant? It's still doing it's job and still able to pass a test no?

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
It is the direction many tuners were heading, even ATP. I am sure it is technically illegal, even changing transmission shift points on a gas vehicle could be considered illegal. Installing a louder muffler is illegal

They were showing how much power there was to be had while keeping it clean. Being environmentally responsible and hot rodding can coexist, legal or otherwise.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
It is the direction many tuners were heading, even ATP. I am sure it is technically illegal, even changing transmission shift points on a gas vehicle could be considered illegal. Installing a louder muffler is illegal

They were showing how much power there was to be had while keeping it clean. Being environmentally responsible and hot rodding can coexist, legal or otherwise.

I’m not trying to start a pissing contest here but... that’s where in my opinion you’re wrong. What’s so clean about producing more chemicals in a factory? What’s so clean about lines of Semi’s going down the road bellowing white smoke out for miles burning off contaminants with raw fuel? You can keep a diesel clean with no emissions crap on it. Sure it takes a little more time... but it’s very doable. The cleaner the truck burns the more efficiently it’s burning the fuel I.e. it’s burning what you’re putting in and not wasting it. There you go. Clean Diesel. Emissions is just bandaid on top of bandaid on top of bandaid.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Emissions compliant tuning is far greater than what you guys think, these tuners are just keeping the system intact. To be legal, the calibration must pass / be verified by all the EPA tests.

Don't kid yourself into thinking it would pass a true emissions certification test just because it doesn't smoke. The Nox levels can be through the roof from a mild bump in timing.

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
I’m not trying to start a pissing contest here but... that’s where in my opinion you’re wrong. What’s so clean about producing more chemicals in a factory? What’s so clean about lines of Semi’s going down the road bellowing white smoke out for miles burning off contaminants with raw fuel? You can keep a diesel clean with no emissions crap on it. Sure it takes a little more time... but it’s very doable. The cleaner the truck burns the more efficiently it’s burning the fuel I.e. it’s burning what you’re putting in and not wasting it. There you go. Clean Diesel. Emissions is just bandaid on top of bandaid on top of bandaid.

Theres more to diesel emissions than just black visible soot. One of the major ones there worried about is nox. This is basically a product of heat. ( Just my limited knowledge from working in a dealer) actually the more efficient the burn the higher there nox is. That's the purpose of egr to cool the burn. So a deleted truck may look like it's burning pretty clean but it won't have the near zero nox levels the diesel exhaust fluid with cat can accomplish with a working egr.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Emissions compliant tuning is far greater than what you guys think, these tuners are just keeping the system intact. To be legal, the calibration must pass / be verified by all the EPA tests.

Don't kid yourself into thinking it would pass a true emissions certification test just because it doesn't smoke. The Nox levels can be through the roof from a mild bump in timing.

X2.

Look at Volkswagen and see how long they fooled everyone lol