LBZ: Anyone Done White LED Dash Lights?

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I have white gauges from whitegauges.net and blue lights from ddm tuning. The blue lights are already starting to go out. But if I remember correctly they have different clusters and lights.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
The only "slightly" difficult thing is, if you're going to do the tint, you need to wire in a double-throw "flip-flop" relay, so when the headlights are off, the backlighting gets straight +12v, so its maximum brightness so you can see the numbers through the tint in the daylight....and then when you turn the headlights on, it switches the LED's over to the instrument panel lights dimming circuit.

I'm still trying to figure this out. What relay, and where does it get wired in?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Again, the color rendering is off when I took the picture...

But the way mine are, is very "cool white" with a hint of purple.

DSCF60622_zps6ba4e394.jpg

:eek:

:pant: :drool:

:hail2:

Dooooooooood

You're killin me

Soooooooo nice, so very very OH MY GAWD nice

:thumb:

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I see what Ben meant when he said white LEDs will look blue behind the OEM gauge face, assuming these are truly white LEDs. The forum I found the pics on said they are white LEDs.

image_zps00d18da9.jpg

image_zpscacfea8f.jpg

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
so what are people doing about the hideous green tinted PRNDL and mileage readout?...that's the only thing stopping me from doing anything with my dash.

i saw where someone used blue film to cover it to go with blue led's but the blue is so damn dark, i really like the white look that is going around in this thread.

DURAJETLLY

Jan 22, 2013
Hadley, Michigan
so what are people doing about the hideous green tinted PRNDL and mileage readout?...that's the only thing stopping me from doing anything with my dash.

i saw where someone used blue film to cover it to go with blue led's but the blue is so damn dark, i really like the white look that is going around in this thread.

Film for stage lights is what I've always heard of people using

Sent from my Note 3

RidinHigh99

Feb 19, 2014
Ben, So you used the white angel eyes to get the true white color, how did you get the gauges to light up so blue and the area around the border of the tach gauge and speed gauge to look blue? Did you put an actual blue led ontop of the gauge or? Just confused about that part!

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
Ben, So you used the white angel eyes to get the true white color, how did you get the gauges to light up so blue and the area around the border of the tach gauge and speed gauge to look blue? Did you put an actual blue led ontop of the gauge or? Just confused about that part!

He used a blue LED under the blue needle combined with the chrome rings that surround the gauges in his Escalade Overlay gives the blue "surround"

Last edited:

countrycorey

Trust Me I'm an Engineer
Jan 30, 2010
LA
It's under the overlay and needle, so you would not see it. It's either mounted on the board (See first pic in post 47) or the stepper motor not sure how he did his.

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
I got my new factory overlay today and I tried scraping the blue silkscreen off the back so I can have true white numbers. What a b_tch to get off. I was using a razor blade and i managed to get one number done in half an hour. :mad: Has anyone else done this and have a better way to do it? Anyone have any other ideas? Ben maybe?:D

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Used acetone or finger nail polish remover without acetone. Both work. I use the nail polish remover. It takes longer but you have less chance of taking the black off as well. Just soak a paper towel and go. Then I took q-tips and soaked them to clean the edges up to be more precise. Takes maybe 15-20 minutes.

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
Thanks Cornell. I was wondering about nail polish remover. I read on some other forum that someone used sandpaper but I didn't really like that idea. Got a pic of your dash?

Combine Pilot

They Call Me Mike
Feb 7, 2010
Saskatchewan
That looks really good. I wasn't even thinking about sandpaper. I'm gonna try the nail polish remover. Did you take the silkscreen off under the red parts of the gauges, like the red line on the tach?

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
That looks really good. I wasn't even thinking about sandpaper. I'm gonna try the nail polish remover. Did you take the silkscreen off under the red parts of the gauges, like the red line on the tach?

yeah I removed it from everything. I'm waiting on the esky cluster cover I bought to show up then I'm going to pull it back apart and sharpie the orange tick marks blue and maybe put the needles on a separate switch like Ben did.

ok my questions i had earlier today have been answered except where did you get the blue needles Cornell?

I got mine off ebay. I made little led circles around each needle and modified the clear shield so the needles light up bright as well.

bevehu4u.jpg