amateur engine pull?

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
Dressed D-max is about 835lbs. I bought a stand from autozone, a little under rated but it worked. Heavier is better if you can find a deal.

Buy freezer bags.....they have a spot to write on:thumb:

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y
What are you looking to do? If your just changing head gaskets and are tight on cash just pull the motor and set it on a wooden pallet. You can block up the front so the engine sits level and is steady enough to work on. The 2k Harbor freight one is the one I use and for the money would reccomend. I would also recomend not using a hoist rated at lower then 2k to lift the motor out of the truck.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
I think thats the one trent is talkin about...

no the one on the last page where the guy is selling his stand and hoist as a combo for 275

What are you looking to do? If your just changing head gaskets and are tight on cash just pull the motor and set it on a wooden pallet. You can block up the front so the engine sits level and is steady enough to work on. The 2k Harbor freight one is the one I use and for the money would reccomend. I would also recomend not using a hoist rated at lower then 2k to lift the motor out of the truck.

for the 100 bucks for a stand ide rather have it then mess around on a ne with pallet... probably just the head gasket but i do have some pistons here that need cutting and coating... if i do find some extra cash (if work picks up a little) i would like to get rods and add them with the pistons i have and be done with it (not that simple i know)

(or at least hope to be done, sorry for your crank loss :()

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
I would recommend a stand that has the rotating assembly on a gear. Holds the engine in place if it isnt perfectly balanced and will keep you from hurting yourself if the engine decides to violently roll over. :hug:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
that pisses me off:mad:

:rofl::hug:

haha got lucky but i wouldnt trust a dmax motor on that stand. i had a ford 4.0 on it for the first and probably last time, it was flexin and movin all over. i was scared to roll the thing around! the hoist on the otherhand works quite nice but ive yet to lift anything over 500lbs with it. id say get that stand you posted from harbor freight, thats the one i plan to go snag up here soon

I would recommend a stand that has the rotating assembly on a gear. Holds the engine in place if it isnt perfectly balanced and will keep you from hurting yourself if the engine decides to violently roll over. :hug:

yeah, been there. having the motor get away from you is scary as all hell (never done that :rolleyes:) but two people should be able to get it, may need three on the dmax motor lol

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
ok thanks...

now, besides obviously disconnecting from the transmission and mounts, soft fuel lines and electronics...what else has to some off before i can get it out of the truck?

turbo? starter?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
As far as Engine Stands I bought the 1Ton one at Jegs. It was around $125.

As far as a Hoist as long as the capacity + is there and it has good casters on it have at it. Finding a good used will be best. IMO the Stand is critical.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com

those are nice as i used to use one on BIG engines but man they're pricey!! the one's we had were OTC and something like $4k each.