amateur engine pull?

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Am i crazy for even considering this? never been on the inside of a motor before or even removed one from a vehicle. however I would love the chance to learn and feel i have a decent ability to figure stuff out. but what i don't have is a very good or complete set of tools. also no lift so i would be working from the ground.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Prolly one of the best learning experiences is to pull a motor apart. Plenty of people here to help if you hit a snag and need quick help. Dont be scared, dig in.

Tyler@MPF

Oct 28, 2008
I would make sure you have plenty of necessary tools and a good hoist. You would be surprised how many guys work from the ground. My lift is occupied and we have to pull a Cummins today or tomorrow, so I will be on the ground working away.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Everybody has to start some where. In saying that your fighting a up hill battle here. You'll need:

1) Good set of tools. That includes a engine hoist and stand capable of doing the job.
2) A shop manual
3) A god memory and a way to mark tag bag what you disassemble.
4) Help,hopefully someone with experience.
5) Money

This will be a expensive endeavor ,good luck! :D

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
I can't afford the 3-4k for a used one right now. Just putting the funds together to get the gaskets done would be a challenge. Business has been slow :(

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Thanks mackin. I have en engine hoist problem is it's not where the work needs to be done from.

And maybe they're cheap garbage but I've seen engine stands for around 100bucks. Capiable of 1k+ lbs

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
Buy the helm manuals, do some research and buy a couple key tools..good torque wrench...probably a stand...fuel line disconnect tools, then go for it. There is always help available here for anything you might get stuck on.

I was the same way, I am very mechanical but had never done it. I dove in, took tons of pictures (good idea for the first time) filled lots of freezer bags with hardware and left lots of masking tape labels on wires. Once its out and the fuel lines are off the top it's pretty self explanatory.

Go for it.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Don't cheap out on a engine stand you need a good one to support the weight and deal with assembly. You don't want to end up with the motor on the ground.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
Buy the helm manuals, do some research and buy a couple key tools..good torque wrench...probably a stand...fuel line disconnect tools, then go for it. There is always help available here for anything you might get stuck on.

I was the same way, I am very mechanical but had never done it. I dove in, took tons of pictures (good idea for the first time) filled lots of freezer bags with hardware and left lots of masking tape labels on wires. Once its out and the fuel lines are off the top it's pretty self explanatory.

Go for it.

thanks man, i would def take a crap load of pictures and hit up sams club for lots of ziplocks..

wish i came from a motor head family so this stuff would of been ingraved in me from the get-go...but alas this is not the case... i must of been adopted :rofl:

Don't cheap out on a engine stand you need a good one to support the weight and deal with assembly. You don't want to end up with the motor on the ground.

ok, well let me get some links and post them up.. maybe you guys can help me tell if they're trash or not

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Id say jump in. pullin the motor out of the truck is pretty straight forward, its remembering where it all goes when you put it back. Tearing an engine down is a bit different and needs a little skill but i wouldnt be scared. ive never done a diesel rebuild but plan to do my own when the time comes (which i hope to be a long ways away, or if i win the lotto)

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
go to craigslist. We were just talking about this last night. There are alwyas engine stands and hoists on there. You will need a heavy duty engine stand, and a good hoist.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
im not disagreeing with you but, these motor's are under 1k correct? so if i found a decent brand name that was rated for that it should be sufficient no?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
cheapies...
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CFcQ8gIwBQ#

http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CE8Q8gIwAw#

harbor freight even has one for $50

if anyone knows of any other please be sure to let me kow this is mostly all google came back with besides $350+ ones

Harbor Freight has a 2k lbs rated engine stand and it holds a fully dressed Dmax just fine , I have 3 of them in my shop and may buy 1 more :D