Advice on CP3

Dragonsfireloki

Nov 6, 2011
North Dakota
I am glad this thread was brought up, i was going to buy an II pump this spring, but i suppose i will hold off and spend my money with people with a little better customer service practices.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
And I fail to realize how two stock pumps is any different then one modded pump on a stock bottom end. Full rail pressure is full rail pressure. As long as you aren't running a tune that fuels too heavy. I know people say dual fuelers kill motors but I can't see why. If you have full rail pressure on a say 200hp tune with a stock pump, how is full rail pressure on the same tune with dual fuelers any different.

IMO there isn't much difference in your little scenario you've presented.

I think dual CP3s have the ability to kill an engine moreso than a big single CP3 because they are able to fuel harder in all ranges from off idle, to max RPM. If fueling is maxed out with dual fuelers, it's more than enough fuel to make enough power/tq to damage a stock bottom engine.

Some of the largest single CP3s probably can too but I know two stock CP3s can. :D

Just having them doesn't kill the engine though, using them to their max potential can. ;). Owner restraint or lack of is paramount to this condition. You could drive nearly forever (being viciscious) on a stock tune with dual CP3s. :)

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
True. I wasnt meaning it like if i had 2 it would die instantly. I just know the stock one i have now is weak. And i figured, to keep cost lower i would run one single. Than jump into a 2nd cp3 kit when the time permits.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
True. I wasnt meaning it like if i had 2 it would die instantly. I just know the stock one i have now is weak. And i figured, to keep cost lower i would run one single. Than jump into a 2nd cp3 kit when the time permits.

have your priced out the big singles? They aren't that much cheaper than a dual set up. Keep your eye out for a used dual set up. They come up for sale all the time and usually almost new for a great price

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
From my experiences II are junk, Wicked Diesel work well, and dual fuelers are sweet.

better watch saying II are junk,,, LOL i got a nice VM from Brady (the owner) last night about this thread hahahahahaha. guess they are keeping up with this thread. Maybe their CS will improve. :hug:

and Yes Brady when you read this,, this is the Matt you called last night and i got your VM. I'll be calling about this 85% that has shit the bed for the second time in under 8K miles. A stock 5.9 pump with 10X's the miles is holding better rail then this piece is.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
I wonder how it feels for the owner of a pretty big company to hear that his shit sucks from so many people.

tractor

Mar 19, 2009
Spring Creek,NV
better watch saying II are junk,,, LOL i got a nice VM from Brady (the owner) last night about this thread hahahahahaha. guess they are keeping up with this thread. Maybe their CS will improve. :hug:

and Yes Brady when you read this,, this is the Matt you called last night and i got your VM. I'll be calling about this 85% that has shit the bed for the second time in under 8K miles. A stock 5.9 pump with 10X's the miles is holding better rail then this piece is.

When you blow the bottom out of the pumps when do you look at maybe it might be tuning.
Then II sends you pumps at there cost even though it wasn't there mistake,sends you pictures showing you what was happing to them and
It is there fault.
There is alot more to this story than someone behind a key board.
I will post pictures later.
Darryl

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have a first generation II pump that I got from Pat after it was dyno tested. It has run GREAT for 35k. I have never had a problem with rail pressure on any of Pat's tunes; both for the stock IHI and for the the HTT (perhaps this is because Pat had tuned the truck to the pump??). I had heard horror stories (from the net) about the II pumps, and have kept a real close eye on the rail pressures, both by logging and gauges while driving; it never let me down.

I feel a little compelled to say all this because you seldom hear on the internet when someone has had a good experience.

I have a new Floor-it pump that will be going in the valley next spring (I found a great deal on this, and could not pass it up). If it cannot keep up with the built motor tunes, I will run duals with the II on the outside.

I may get flamed for this but....

To the OP, I think either Wicked (no real experience here, just what I have heard), II, or Floor-it would be good choice if you want a single pump. If I had it to do over...not sure, maybe I would have gone dual stockers.

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
When you blow the bottom out of the pumps when do you look at maybe it might be tuning.
Then II sends you pumps at there cost even though it wasn't there mistake,sends you pictures showing you what was happing to them and
It is there fault.
There is alot more to this story than someone behind a key board.
I will post pictures later.
Darryl

umm so the 85% was ran on tuning the way II told me to set it up and it's my fault now?? The 120% over pump was on a smarty tune with the rail set as II instructed me to set the other modded pumps, it failed as well. The 85 never exploded,, just got a lot of play in the shaft and knocked. the 120 blew plugs and guts out,,, the exact same way as if the little check ball isn't put back in them when you have one of these pumps apart. I run a business, i **** up, i take blame and eat my mistake. II had never just said "my bad" and took care of business. they've always blamed other factors. I R&R a ton of pumps and other fuel system parts. I'm not big but I do a couple $100K in diesel parts business a year and have been doing CR dodges and duramax's as long as they've been out. I do clean work, I do good work and for II to instantly blame me when I'm not the only shop in the country having these failures is stupid and a pitiful way to do business. post what ever pic you have,, no proof it was even the pump that was sent back. I've got pics and emails as well and they don't "prove" anything.
Brady finally made the first 85% go round ok 3 months later. i didn't even waste my breath calling after this last time, the 120% pump was pulled off by another shop cause I was too booked to get it back in and he had other work he wanted done.
if anything was in that pump it was from trying to remove it in a f'in thrunderstorm so we could send it back. finally the gear had to be cut off. Brady said the pump was over pressurized and had rust in it. The truck has 3 filters on it, no fuel was added and it ran fine earlier that day with a different pump on it. the only thing that changed was the pump. I've ran other modded and stock pumps with more pressure then this one seen. So is II just that much inferior or did I happen to get the only 2 bad ones II ever produced?? OR out of all the pumps I've put on,, did i take my vendetta against II out by sabotaging their pumps with rust, pressure boxes and plugged rail pressure relieve valve ports??

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
And I fail to realize how two stock pumps is any different then one modded pump on a stock bottom end. Full rail pressure is full rail pressure. As long as you aren't running a tune that fuels too heavy. I know people say dual fuelers kill motors but I can't see why. If you have full rail pressure on a say 200hp tune with a stock pump, how is full rail pressure on the same tune with dual fuelers any different.

It's not. Adding dual fuelers isn't going to magically blow your rods. It's just that people get carried away with the fueling after they install duals. If you are at 650 with a modded pump and swap it for dual stock pumps, you will be able to hold the same rail psi and still make 650. You will just have a more reliable setup.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
It's not. Adding dual fuelers isn't going to magically blow your rods. It's just that people get carried away with the fueling after they install duals. If you are at 650 with a modded pump and swap it for dual stock pumps, you will be able to hold the same rail psi and still make 650. You will just have a more reliable setup.

I'm well aware of that. That was the point that has already been made earlier. I see so many guys with the "dual fuelers blow your motor" mentality that it blows my mind.

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
sounds like dual stock pumps is the way to go. glad to see this thread, what if my stock pump is getting weak, should I rebuild it?

I read some where a guy can mod his cp3 him self, cant find it now but is that a worth while thing to do.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
sounds like dual stock pumps is the way to go. glad to see this thread, what if my stock pump is getting weak, should I rebuild it?

I read some where a guy can mod his cp3 him self, cant find it now but is that a worth while thing to do.

How weak is it?
I would just get duals and put the weak one up top and the new one in the stock position. You should be able to hold psi even with the weak one In the mix.
The reason I'd put the weak one up top is that if it ever fails, replacing it, or servicing it, will be much easier than pulling it from the valley.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I run a modded Ii pump and a stock pump in my twin cp3s have for bout 4-5 months and bout 8k miles roughly love them if i want i could load a big tune in make lots of power and bend rods but no need to twin cp3 will bot break your motor your right foot will with them and greedy tuning imo

Also ppe or ats for dual cp3 II Is just a renamed ppe kit

Last edited:

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
intresting thanks guys. ill keep my eyes peeled for a twin kit possibly or shoot for a built single. I feel i can trust the industrial ones. just pay attention to tuning like always/ on both kits that is.