Advice on CP3

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
intresting thanks guys. ill keep my eyes peeled for a twin kit possibly or shoot for a built single. I feel i can trust the industrial ones. just pay attention to tuning like always/ on both kits that is.

I believe there is a kit for sale on this site right now. Think I saw it yesterday.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
If your only goal.is 600 for now and big power later get a new lbz stock cp3 or even a low mileage used one and save some coin and then do twin cp3s later that would be a better route imo but its your money and truck :thumb:

you can make 600 on a stock lb7 cp3 if you can find that as a cheap alternate replacement as well.

TopFueler

Dec 27, 2011
This is Brady. I don't seem to know all the issues that Matt may have. I see one invoice on 06/09/2010 for 659.44 on a CP3 that he sent in. He was sent pictures from our digital microscope to show him all the parts and explain the failure. We certainly didn't charge him for a new pump on this invoice. We did have 75.57 in next day air freight. As was said earlier in this thread. Some guys think we are showing them pictures of someone elses pump. We do not do anything like that. We always tell the truth!!!

TopFueler

Dec 27, 2011
Just so you guys know the latest in what we are doing. The crankshaft, roller and lifters are all coated or treated with friction modifyers (Micro Blue). There has been some upgraded plunger return spings as well. These upgrades along with some others have made our pumps capable of higher rpm and pressures.

TopFueler

Dec 27, 2011
The addition of a premium grade 2 stroke oil could be a benefit if high rpm or rail pressure was expected by you. I am not saying it is a cure all but it could help!
The use of a rail pressure sender that will read up to 40,000psi would be a big help in determining what pressure you are actually seeing. The stock pressure sender is only good to 26,000-26,500psi after that it does not read anymore. The new LML pressure sender is rated for and will read up to 40,000psi. It will fit in a Cummins application as well. The Ford 6.7L Scorpion also uses a pressure sender that will read up to 40,000psi.

TopFueler

Dec 27, 2011
The number one thing to remember about CP3 pumps is that they are diesel fuel lubricated. Bosch has made some good bearings/bushings that are made to work in low lubricity. They do have a maximum load and rpm value. When the fuel pressure is increased or the rpm is increased the friction value on the moving parts will increase as well. This is why we are using products to reduce the friction value so that the parts will work as intended without binding or locking when higher pressure or rpm has occured. The higher pressure springs helps the lifters from floating at higher rpm. Hope this info helps.

TopFueler

Dec 27, 2011
Bosch on their CP4 pump applied to LML Duramax has raised rail pressure. That is why they are using a 40,000psi pressure sender. The CP4 pump uses a camshaft and roller type lifters. It's engine oil lubricated as well. The reason on their part for the redesign is because they are running higher rail pressure. We are working on a upgraded CP4 pump for the LML andd the Ford 6.7L as well. It has been real fun as Bosch has put many limitations in our way. It will be done hopefully in the next month. We do need to do on vehicle testing at that time to make sure of any problems we may see. Thanks

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
This is Brady. I don't seem to know all the issues that Matt may have. I see one invoice on 06/09/2010 for 659.44 on a CP3 that he sent in. He was sent pictures from our digital microscope to show him all the parts and explain the failure. We certainly didn't charge him for a new pump on this invoice. We did have 75.57 in next day air freight. As was said earlier in this thread. Some guys think we are showing them pictures of someone elses pump. We do not do anything like that. We always tell the truth!!!

yep that was the 85% over pump that was installed in march. I saw the pictures, they were of a failed pump,,, and probably even the one sent in BUT I have no idea why you would jump at saying it was a truck when in reality you don't even have the truck to diag with. The truck had a smarty on it. TNT-R wasn't even loaded and we had parameters set appropriately for the injectors. funny how the truck ran fine for years on the stock pump, months on the bigger sticks, yet 6-8 weeks on your 85% pump. Nothing was changed but the pump. even the stock pump lived with the same tuning. And yes I most certainly paid for the repairs and the overnight cause i was tired of WEEKS (try 6) spent trying to get a call back about it so when you called and said it was done i didn't give a shit about the money i wanted this customer on the road. I paid installed the pump and all was well. Only after 3 months and a rant like this did you call me and instead of a refund you gave me a SB66 for about $700 under my normal cost. That was great,,,,,, then this piece failed yet again. We put a stock pump back on it and guess what,,,, that pump has outlasted the 85% both times with nothing more then changing the pumps.
This last go round was on a truck owned by a man last named "matheis" pump lasted right around or less then 50 miles before it shit it guts. you told him almost word for word what you told me about the 85% over but you added there was rust in it. may have been by the time it made it back but the install was clean. coulda been rusty from cutting the pump gear off cause it welded itself on when the pump locked up and exploded. Truck ran fine for days after the injectors went in while waiting on this 120% then once it went on shit his the fan. this ain't my first go round installing CP3s,,, but these two are the only ones that shit the bed in very short order after installing them. Coincidence??
my experience with experimenting with these pumps have resulted in nearly identical failures like we had with the 120% pump when a certain little check ball was left out. Even the operating conditions when the failure occurred were damn near identical. Was this check ball in mr matheis's pump when inspected????
Sorry i've not called back. Business hours currently run from about 6/7am to about 1/2am most days.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I would personaly rather go with a duel fueler it doesnt matter what you are running and you wont have to upgrade later.Id rather have 2 humming along at stock presure and output then a single then if you have a problem with a single your sunk if 1 on a 2x cp3 starts getting week or gives up atleast your not stuck you can still drive the truck normal and get home.JMO

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
Pat let me know if you wanna sell it! ill pick that thing up. and thanks Eric. i will have to look into that lbz danville a lil more talk to em see if it can do what i want it to do for about a year. I know eventually i will add these twin fuelers. unless i stumble across a awesome deal im gonna try to keep it simple. not sayin twins are difficult. Thanks again guys for chimin in and giving me some stuff to think about!! :woott:

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
Pat let me know if you wanna sell it! ill pick that thing up. and thanks Eric. i will have to look into that lbz danville a lil more talk to em see if it can do what i want it to do for about a year. I know eventually i will add these twin fuelers. unless i stumble across a awesome deal im gonna try to keep it simple. not sayin twins are difficult. Thanks again guys for chimin in and giving me some stuff to think about!! :woott:

A bunch of us around me are running the modded danville lbz cp3 pumps for over a year now with no problems at all.:thumb:

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Just so you guys know the latest in what we are doing. The crankshaft, roller and lifters are all coated or treated with friction modifyers (Micro Blue). There has been some upgraded plunger return spings as well. These upgrades along with some others have made our pumps capable of higher rpm and pressures.

So this "latest" in what y'all are doing... Will this actually make the pump WORK? I got a new 85 over pump from you guys. Supposedly flows 85% more fuel. So far it flows about 85% LESS fuel than stock. If this is the latest and greatest for you guys, then I'm selling this paper weight.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
So far all this pump has accomplished for me is numerous headaches, busted knuckles a new friend and it bumped my mpg up by 1.5... Got rid of the haze at idle as well. Guess it atomizes the fuel better?

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
So this "latest" in what y'all are doing... Will this actually make the pump WORK? I got a new 85 over pump from you guys. Supposedly flows 85% more fuel. So far it flows about 85% LESS fuel than stock. If this is the latest and greatest for you guys, then I'm selling this paper weight.

wow and i thought i was the only one in the world having issues :spit: