5 speed drum in a 6 speed??

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
There are trade secrets and builders that do very well. The problem is you can't really patent, much less enforce it. So any average builder that knows what he is looking at can buy a transmission from a builder that has breakthrough technology or something spectacular and take it apart and copy it. That's not saying much for that builders integrity or personal pride. But it is also what makes keeping trade secrets secret so difficult.
It is also why race teams don't sell the parts they put in there cars, and top builders most likely keep the best trade secret's in there flagship trucks where they know the secrets will not be disseminated. Or at least keep a watchful eye on where and who they sell the transmission.
A good builder could put an allison together with stock parts that will hold more power than a kit slapped in with a prayer.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are trade secrets and builders that do very well. The problem is you can't really patent, much less enforce it. So any average builder that knows what he is looking at can buy a transmission from a builder that has breakthrough technology or something spectacular and take it apart and copy it. That's not saying much for that builders integrity or personal pride. But it is also what makes keeping trade secrets secret so difficult.
It is also why race teams don't sell the parts they put in there cars, and top builders most likely keep the best trade secret's in there flagship trucks where they know the secrets will not be disseminated. Or at least keep a watchful eye on where and who they sell the transmission.
A good builder could put an allison together with stock parts that will hold more power than a kit slapped in with a prayer.

As usual, you are full of shit.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca

That's complete crap, if I go to a top builder and pay top dollar because of their reputation which is normally based upon these "flagship trucks" I expect the same treatment. I would be pissed to find out my builder held back in my build if I asked for everything possible to be done.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com

While you make some valid points that people will always try to reverse engineer anything that succeeds you are very wrong on a few points as well.
  • Why would we put in the time, money, and thought into coming up with better ways to build a transmission that would hold up only to turn around and not use it? It would be a poor return on our investment.
  • Some of the things we do can be somewhat obvious, but many transmission building secrets would not be picked up on by even another experienced builder, so there is no need to really worry about who takes it apart.
  • Reverse engineering does not always go so well - if the person trying to copy it knew enough about the transmission to know what to copy or what to look for, and why things were done the way that they were than they would just build their own kit instead of trying to copy someone else.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
While you make some valid points that people will always try to reverse engineer anything that succeeds you are very wrong on a few points as well.
  • Why would we put in the time, money, and thought into coming up with better ways to build a transmission that would hold up only to turn around and not use it? It would be a poor return on our investment.
  • Some of the things we do can be somewhat obvious, but many transmission building secrets would not be picked up on by even another experienced builder, so there is no need to really worry about who takes it apart.
  • Reverse engineering does not always go so well - if the person trying to copy it knew enough about the transmission to know what to copy or what to look for, and why things were done the way that they were than they would just build their own kit instead of trying to copy someone else.

I agree with that Dustin, and I know you guys are all doing a very nice job with the transmissions.
I said breakthrough technology, that is a major leap. It is not just transmissions, or not just trucks for that matter. As a smaller shop we do not have the time, or money to register patents, let alone try and enforce them. So if we come up with a great idea it just gets copied.

I am speaking from experience. I had once made a turbo setup for a relatively newer truck that had turbo problems. I was told online it was a terrible idea, and now all the other companies are making kits using the same turbo and same exact design.

I should have been more specific in my first post.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
I agree with that Dustin, and I know you guys are all doing a very nice job with the transmissions.
I said breakthrough technology, that is a major leap. It is not just transmissions, or not just trucks for that matter. As a smaller shop we do not have the time, or money to register patents, let alone try and enforce them. So if we come up with a great idea it just gets copied.

I am speaking from experience. I had once made a turbo setup for a relatively newer truck that had turbo problems. I was told online it was a terrible idea, and now all the other companies are making kits using the same turbo and same exact design.

I should have been more specific in my first post.

That is a completely different situation - you weren't modifying something, you built a fabricated kit and sourced an off the shelf turbo that worked well for the application. Anyone with a decent fab shop and a source for the turbo could easily buy one of your kits, use it to make jigs, and copy it. Or anyone could just buy the turbo you use and fab their own kit from scratch that would look a lot like they copied your kit, when really it is just that there isn't much room to get exhaust from the manifolds into a turbo and a downpipe out, and from an intake box to it and boost out of it to the intercooler they have no option but to make it the way you did.

Now lets say that you didn't tell anyone but you were actually taking a turbine housing that was meant for a small wheel and using a bigger wheel in it, but clipping that bigger wheel down and only machining the housing a little and at first look most people would think it was an off the shelf turbo. Most people would copy your kit and put an off the shelf turbo and wonder why they got different results. The guys smart enough to know to tear apart the turbo and measure everything and copy your cut profile and everything would be smart enough to have already been doing it themselves without copying you.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
That is a completely different situation - you weren't modifying something, you built a fabricated kit and sourced an off the shelf turbo that worked well for the application. Anyone with a decent fab shop and a source for the turbo could easily buy one of your kits, use it to make jigs, and copy it. Or anyone could just buy the turbo you use and fab their own kit from scratch that would look a lot like they copied your kit, when really it is just that there isn't much room to get exhaust from the manifolds into a turbo and a downpipe out, and from an intake box to it and boost out of it to the intercooler they have no option but to make it the way you did.

Now lets say that you didn't tell anyone but you were actually taking a turbine housing that was meant for a small wheel and using a bigger wheel in it, but clipping that bigger wheel down and only machining the housing a little and at first look most people would think it was an off the shelf turbo. Most people would copy your kit and put an off the shelf turbo and wonder why they got different results. The guys smart enough to know to tear apart the turbo and measure everything and copy your cut profile and everything would be smart enough to have already been doing it themselves without copying you.

This^^^. Guys that are smart enough to actually reverse engineer something, don't have to....

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

Dustin I think that is the glass is half full attitude. I use to have that but lately I kinda lost my way. Thanks for the positive attitude it made me realize to look for the good in things.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike l you should give things a chance as well. Its Christmas and you can't be a ***** forever.

You are pathetic. Next you will be starting a church and of course you will be the pastor. Weasels cannot stop being weasels. Try not to call me that name again. Be nice and continue telling everyone how smart your are and all the things you have invented. Hope no aspiring welders tried to copy your welds as it would ruin their lives.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
You are pathetic. Next you will be starting a church and of course you will be the pastor. Weasels cannot stop being weasels. Try not to call me that name again. Be nice and continue telling everyone how smart your are and all the things you have invented. Hope no aspiring welders tried to copy your welds as it would ruin their lives.

Keep preaching to your DD choir, lol all the way to the bank.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Keep preaching to your DD choir, lol all the way to the bank.

I've got 2 choices here since you are ruining this thread with your BS. I can lock the thread and wait for your next encounter, or I can shit can you.
I prefer to make you disappear. Play nice or GTFO. Your choice.:D

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Now mike you can do what you think is best.
I was talking directly to Dustin and you started on me.
My first post was my experience and my opinions.
I stated them with candor and without prejudice.

Its clear you personally have feelings.

Are you going to let those feelings interfere with your moderation of the site?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Now mike you can do what you think is best.
I was talking directly to Dustin and you started on me.
My first post was my experience and my opinions.
I stated them with candor and without prejudice.

Its clear you personally have feelings.

Are you going to let those feelings interfere with your moderation of the site?

When it comes to you; yes. It appears you want to stay on this forum. Stop acting like a used car salesman. You don't do it well.
Now let's get back on the topic. If you have anymore gripes; take it to pm's.:D

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
When it comes to you; yes. It appears you want to stay on this forum. Stop acting like a used car salesman. You don't do it well.
Now let's get back on the topic. If you have anymore gripes; take it to pm's.:D

Just so everyone gets the joke.
Mike took my pm function away last year.

Good one bud.
Have a great holiday

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Just so everyone gets the joke.
Mike took my pm function away last year.

Good one bud.
Have a great holiday

No I didn't. I don't even know how to do that numb nuts. You must have pissed off one of the administrators. Told you no one likes you. :D