5 speed drum in a 6 speed??

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
Is there anything to be done on the 6 speed drum to help hold more power for the c1 c2 and if so what?
pm me if you don't want to say in public i would like to know

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Looks like he said it had a 5 speed pump as well and the pump gears were installed upside down. Are the pump gears actually directional?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Looks like he said it had a 5 speed pump as well and the pump gears were installed upside down. Are the pump gears actually directional?

Many manufacturers assemble pump gears in a certain way for noise reduction. I don't think it matters as the gears are sintered metal. ( compressed metal powder )

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Yep, our very first thought...well more like "why"..

Either he wanted it for his own truck and it was free and you can't see inside; or he sold it to someone else. Pure profit as there was no investment.
I see it happen all the time.:mad:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Either he wanted it for his own truck and it was free and you can't see inside; or he sold it to someone else. Pure profit as there was no investment.
I see it happen all the time.:mad:

My buddy knew he was in for a treat before he dropped the trans:D

speaking of treat, got anymore cookies?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Is there any difference between a 5 speed pump and 6 speed pump as far as capabilities go? I figured no since knowing the ratiotek spring and shim put you right around 325 psi regardless of year.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Is there any difference between a 5 speed pump and 6 speed pump as far as capabilities go? I figured no since knowing the ratiotek spring and shim put you right around 325 psi regardless of year.

There are only 2 pumps, early and late. The late one flows more volume and is the pump you want. The early pump work fine with my regulator spring but the late pump is preferred. They still use it in the 2015 Allison.

gtmax

Apr 9, 2008
As Mike has stated there are 2 variations of pumps early and late. There are 3 variations of the early, last three casting numbers are: 882, 582 or 147. The later 6 speed pump is preferred and are fairly reasonably priced even new. However I've torn down a good many stock 6 speed cores and have found quite a few with broken pump gears or the driven gear's side walls severily gauled and not suitable to use in my book. Still better, if there in good shape, probably made in or/from metal from who knows where.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I'm sure a lot of people would you have to earn it.

How does one go about "earning" it? Is that meant for the purchaser or builder?I understand the builder earning a great reputation and skill to know what he's doing but for a purchasers out look that would want the best "all bells and whistles" how would they go about "earning" the upgrade? :confused: