20w-50 oil

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Which 15w50 did you use?

Mobil1 was the only I could find in town that wasnt either a house brand or some ungodly priced synthetic from summit racing. I cannot attest to it being good oil or not, but in the heat on long drives I do like having a few extra psi. I really want to get some schaeffers ordered before winter time comes because I put ALOT of miles on in hunting season. But Ill just order standard weight oil for the winter time.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I think alot of people mistake the 01-02 trucks for having higher oil pressure because the gauge reads 80psi max and the 03+ trucks read 120psi max, at first glance it seems like the pressure is higher but it really isn't my truck usually idles hot around 25-30psi and at speed (65mph) its about 60psi. I have been in a few 03+ trucks LLY's and LB7's that made me look twice at the gauge at an idle.

LB7 vs. LLY..................:rofl: Don't go there with Ben. :hug:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I think alot of people mistake the 01-02 trucks for having higher oil pressure because the gauge reads 80psi max and the 03+ trucks read 120psi max, at first glance it seems like the pressure is higher but it really isn't my truck usually idles hot around 25-30psi and at speed (65mph) its about 60psi. I have been in a few 03+ trucks LLY's and LB7's that made me look twice at the gauge at an idle.

LB7 vs. LLY..................:rofl: Don't go there with Ben. :hug:

Not so much. Most trucks idle around 15-20 psi hot. 25-30 seems to only be on early LB7s.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not so much. Most trucks idle around 15-20 psi hot. 25-30 seems to only be on early LB7s.

like ben said, the oil pressure sensor is in a differnt location than the 03-04s. probably why we see a greater pressure on the gauge but ill bet the 01-02s still put out the same pressure at hot idle as the 03-04s if measured at the same spot

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
like ben said, the oil pressure sensor is in a differnt location than the 03-04s. probably why we see a greater pressure on the gauge but ill bet the 01-02s still put out the same pressure at hot idle as the 03-04s if measured at the same spot

I understand that but what JustinD is talking about makes no sense. The 01-02 blocks arent the same as 03-04 and thats been why its speculated they have higher oil psi even if the measuring point isnt the same.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I understand that but what JustinD is talking about makes no sense. The 01-02 blocks arent the same as 03-04 and thats been why its speculated they have higher oil psi even if the measuring point isnt the same.

I was just saying at a glance everyone thinks my truck has alot more pressure, thats because the gauge only reads 80 psi not 120!! Never said it made more pressure just looks that way if you aren't used to 01-02 cluster. Does that make sense????

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Couple of things, with twins the oil has a some more distance to travel and with the bends, lines and such could cause a small drop of pressure. Also the extra turbo should be heating the oil up a lot quicker.

As for the color turning black real quick, oil is supposed to do that. There are cleaners in oil and they are cleaning, some detergents grab the crap in the motor quicker than others, while some oils set in and work on the crap. Kind of like household cleaners, some have to set and then scrub, some can spray and wipe...

Here is my question..does changing the viscosity of the oil actually change what the oil is doing for the motor, or should we be looking at bringing the pressure of the oil up at the pump itself?

FullSpec

Served cold.
Apr 6, 2009
i went to 20w50 yesterday, and man I should have done it alot sooner.

I foamed the hell out of the 12tbn amsoil i just drained waay ahead of schedule due to the heat

and imho iit still needs a good external oil cooler

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I think cooling the oil may be part of the answer. If pressure is increased, that means the oil is going to be even hotter and thus a lower viscosity. Lots of pressure is great but if the oil is real thin whats the point? As simon stated go pull something heavy or run your truck and see how thin it gets.

FullSpec

Served cold.
Apr 6, 2009
a heavier oil will have a higher boiling point, it may well be at the same temperature as a lighter oil, but wont experience the phase change of partial vaporization or full on boiling which will invariably change the chemistry and the thermal properties of the oil at that point.

just that the heavier oil will do a better job of moving more heat, without destroying itself (as much) in the process

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Here is my question..does changing the viscosity of the oil actually change what the oil is doing for the motor, or should we be looking at bringing the pressure of the oil up at the pump itself?

Bingo... thicker oil is more resistant to flow, hence the higher pressure. At some point running thicker has a negative impact.

Wouldn't bother me too much when it's really hot out.. I have an oil temp gauge and when it's hot outside, stop and go traffic, a/c on etc. it will see 205 degrees.... where as on a cool night (not cold) on the highway it will level out around 175.

Be nice to raise the pressure some.... especially for those of us revving a little higher. Or a better oil cooler maybe?

I may add a couple quarts of something thicker on my next change since it's hot out right now...

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Bingo... thicker oil is more resistant to flow, hence the higher pressure. At some point running thicker has a negative impact.

Wouldn't bother me too much when it's really hot out.. I have an oil temp gauge and when it's hot outside, stop and go traffic, a/c on etc. it will see 205 degrees.... where as on a cool night (not cold) on the highway it will level out around 175.

Be nice to raise the pressure some.... especially for those of us revving a little higher. Or a better oil cooler maybe?

I may add a couple quarts of something thicker on my next change since it's hot out right now...

Thicker oil is more resistant to flow yes, but with that flow resistance comes more resistance to extreem pressure, shock loads and such. think the difference between stomping in a bucket of water and stomping in a bucket of syrup.