2019 ucc

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Is it just me or did know one try and help get Tony out? The video I watched showed them hit the truck with fire extinguishers and then everyone just got away and left Tony:confused:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Is it just me or did know one try and help get Tony out? The video I watched showed them hit the truck with fire extinguishers and then everyone just got away and left Tony:confused:

Mark was the driver. Think he was trying 5o get it shut down, may have had trouble getting out too, sure he'll chime in

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne

The guy running the dyno was to focused on recording what was going on then helping Mark. Even had his hand on the door handle. Mark had issues finding the door handle. The engine was running forever after the explosion off nos and oil. The only good part about this is Tony's determination. He IS putting his old engine in as we speak.

This event has been the worst layed out crap shot I have ever been to. Only good thing about it is our team killing it with a street truck.

slowlml

Undercover Epa agent
Feb 6, 2015
Strasburg Va/Wardensville Wv
Sad to see for tony. I thought the same thing in the video that everyone backed off and let him get out himself:confused:wtf. Seemed like after the charger let go it ran away too. Hope he comes back with the old new engine and places well

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
That was what I notcied is nobody helped Mark out, I mean I know how adrenaline can affect a person's thinking but yeah seemed a little uncaring for sure.

I guess the engine running away messed it up or what?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yeah the engine running away I'm sure did some damage coupled with the fire. Someone said the compressor cover was in pieces so an air shutoff wouldn't have done any good.

Properly placed air shut offs are supposed to go right before the intake manifold for this very reason.

I saw another vid on FB from much closer and on the driver side. No help from any event staff other than a little fire extinguisher action on a runaway engine. Piss poor imo. He had to go out the window himself.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Mark said the turbo exploded and took out the fuel lines and electronics, which made the pumps go wide open. Air shutoff wouldnt have done jack.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
I’ll just paste his whole post so everyone can read it.

“Well, this wasn’t how I saw my day going! I’ll be the first to say I’m glad I was in the truck and not someone else! I have been personally running my dyno for the last 12+years straight and have a shutdown procedure when shit goes south. Inside the cab wasn’t as scary to me as it looks in the videos. First priority was to get the truck stopped so it couldn’t go anywhere and kill the power. Reading all the comments is crazy to say the least. Personally I’m glad no one came up to the truck without full fire gear on cause that would have been bad for them. The turbo let go for no reason (shit happens and it is what it is, no one to blame for us pushing shit to the limits) and when it blew and was like a hand grenade going off. It destroyed the high pressure fuel lines and shorted the ecm electronics. This causes the cp3’s to go wide open and was a high pressure fuel spray at full tilt feeding the engine through the hole ripped through the intake plumbing at the engine and was already around 5k rpms so she ran away. An air shut off wasn’t going to do it any good at that point. Only thing that would have done good was an injected fire suppression system and honestly no one runs one at this point but may in the future! To everyone bashing the dyno operator for running, 95% of you would have probably ran before he did! Nothing he was going to do at that point that wasn’t going to be more dangerous for him than helpful for me. Kody did the right thing at that point and everyone needs to leave him alone! I stayed calm(for the most part except for when I was trying to find the door handle to get out and couldn’t see anything at all) and I held my breath from the moment the cab filled with smoke so I wasn’t breathing it in. I didn’t feel the heat til I bailed out the window since I put on Tony’s firesuit thanks to Lavon’s recommendation to wear it, thanks bud I owe you one for sure! I’m more upset for the amount of work Tony and his crew put into this truck and something like this destroys it. It was a badass truck!!! He feels bad for putting me in the seat and I told him I would do again without bating an eye because it’s what I’m trained to do. Shit happens and it could have went way worse a million different ways but the good lord was there for me and my family and friends and everyone that was there close by! Thanks to all my friends and family in the industry that have already reached out to me, love you all!!! We live to fight another day and do what we love to do!!! Hug your family members a little tighter and tell them you love them cause you really don’t know when your number is up!”

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I’m glad no one was hurt. At the level these guys are pushing things, these kinds of events need trained safety personnel... Guys that are paid to run into danger not from it. no one knows how they will react in situations like that, I hope I wouldn’t run but you never know. Again glad no one but some truck parts got hurt.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I can't believe they have it running and preped for the sled pull. Talk about a good crew...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tony goes out and pulls 308' on his backup engine.Got 2nd place. Props to DHD for perseverence! Looks like he finished in 6th place overall.

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
+1 good job Tony for sticking with it!

How did Wade end up overall?

Looks like he ended up 5th..

Really wish Tony's turbo would've stayed together to get a better dyno results. But my hats off to them to turn around such bad luck and come back with an old setup to finish second in the sled pull.. congratulations to all the guys.