1967 RS Duramax Camaro

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
At this show he opens up his shop and lets everyone take a tour. In this picture there are 12, yes 12, hemi's in a row. I couldn't stand back far enough to get them all in the picture, let alone the 2 dragsters (both with hemi's as well) that were behind me.

IMG_1488_zpsa459ed8d.jpg

IMG_1487_zps38a2e83b.jpg

IMG_1486_zps3daee80c.jpg

IMG_1485_zpse02d2b5a.jpg

IMG_1484_zps23318a14.jpg

IMG_1483_zpsb346fbaf.jpg

My dad painted this truck a long time ago (before I was born I think). It belongs to a good friend of his. It's sitting on an s10 chassis and has a 427 big block, not to mention the custom built dump bed.

IMG_1482_zpsc0d26edc.jpg

IMG_1481_zpsa3070556.jpg

IMG_1480_zps69dec6d9.jpg

IMG_1479_zpsf4af98e0.jpg

IMG_1478_zps58e2bf65.jpg

IMG_1477_zps2a7180fc.jpg

IMG_1476_zps84a62769.jpg

IMG_1475_zps27972f14.jpg

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Guess I'll post a small update.

The Camaro is running great. Been to a couple more car shows over the last few weeks and have been using it as my daily driver. 3 weeks ago one of the seals on my coil overs started to leak so I had to send them both out to be gone through since Varishock doesn't sell rebuild kits to the general public. They informed me that since they sat around for so many years being unused the seals dried up a little and needed to be replaced.

Haven't had the time to go to the track and improve my 1/4 mile times since March. Work has been really busy and it's too hard for me to stay out late racing and get up for work at 5:30 in the morning...

If any of you guys read Diesel Power, you should look at the August '14 "Bay Area Brawl" dyno day article. There's a couple shots of the Camaro in there. There's a typo in one of the captions saying it's an LLY, but it's really an LBZ. Regardless, I'm pretty stoked to see it in there.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/events/1408_2014_bay_area_brawl_annual_dyno_day/

In a couple more months there will hopefully be a full article coming out. Big thanks to Jason Sands for taking the time to make it happen.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Wow, what a read. That is a crap ton of work, and it looks amazing! Definitely a one of a kind car there. Maybe I missed your time, but what did you manage at the track with it? Maybe an audio/video clip to hear it running...or really running:woott:

Thanks for posting, and hopefully your future kids will get to enjoy this awesome car and update it again :thumb:

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I saw the pics, car looks awesome man.

Corey

:thumb:

Wow, what a read. That is a crap ton of work, and it looks amazing! Definitely a one of a kind car there. Maybe I missed your time, but what did you manage at the track with it? Maybe an audio/video clip to hear it running...or really running:woott:

Thanks for posting, and hopefully your future kids will get to enjoy this awesome car and update it again :thumb:

I believe post #380 on page 26 has the video of my passes from Bakersfield. Better passes and times will be coming soon. Thanks for the compliments.

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
We're going drag racing for my bachelor party this Sunday at Sonoma Raceway. Pics and videos to follow...

Also, any of you who read or have a subscription to Diesel World, the Camaro has a full feature in the October 2014 issue :woott:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
We're going drag racing for my bachelor party this Sunday at Sonoma Raceway. Pics and videos to follow...

Also, any of you who read or have a subscription to Diesel World, the Camaro has a full feature in the October 2014 issue :woott:

I may just have to go find a DW magazine. Congrats to you on all your hard work. :thumb:

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca

I may just have to go find a DW magazine. Congrats to you on all your hard work. :thumb:

Thanks guys. I appreciate everyones words of encouragement and support over the last couple years.

People around here are talking and it seems the Camaro is getting a reputation already. I guess some nasty burnouts leaving car shows is giving folks something to talk about.

I did the first transbrake launch last week and the car launched much better, but I DEFINITELY need to get the hang of using it. I'm almost positive I will be pretty inconsistent with it tomorrow, but nonetheless I will be using it.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I have a short list of my all time favorite Camaros.... Big Red, Stielows Red Witch, Musi's Green 69', Mr. Totems Vengeance, & dslhtrdr D-max Camaro... Again great job. You deserve the praise for a job well done, plus your willing to beat on it, which is what there for:thumb:

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
I have a short list of my all time favorite Camaros.... Big Red, Stielows Red Witch, Musi's Green 69', Mr. Totems Vengeance, & dslhtrdr D-max Camaro... Again great job. You deserve the praise for a job well done, plus your willing to beat on it, which is what there for:thumb:

Article was great, that thing is beautiful, congrats, you should be very proud of that thing. :thumb:

:thankyou: I'm a little bummed that there's some misinformation in the article, but I think it comes with the territory. There was so much information I gave on the car that there was bound to be something incorrect.

I was able to take a whole second off my et at the strip on Sunday. Best time of 12.009 and a best mph of 119.14. I need to work on getting my launches down pat. Used to the transbrake on every pass and it helped quite a bit, but I was leaving pretty soft every pass with 2.0 60'. I'm positive it has a mid 11 second pass in it the way it is, I just need to launch waaaay harder.

My 119 mph pass was a 12.1 1/4 mile time slip, and my 12.009 was at 117 mph. Everyone else in my class didn't have nearly as much speed as me. Is my mph pretty high for that kind of et?

Working on getting pics and vids together. My camera went dead at the track so I wasn't able to have anyone film me...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Need a set of slicks on that thing with a little lower tire pressure and some heat. That should help a bit. Suspension looks like it's working - hard to see from that angle but looks like it goes straight - no bounce or squat.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Hows that Camaro doing, Looks Great I am in the middle of a project as well , 57 Chevy Duramax. Its better prettty easy so far but there is always those hills to get over.

Attachments

• IMG_1517_2.jpg
    IMG_1517_2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 69

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Hows that Camaro doing, Looks Great I am in the middle of a project as well , 57 Chevy Duramax. Its better prettty easy so far but there is always those hills to get over.

The Camaro is doing great. No issues to speak of, runs flawless. Some rainy weather has kept me from driving it more often but I drive it on nice days when the roads aren't wet. I got a speeding ticket a couple months ago in it from a young CHP with a big chip on his shoulder and a serious attitude. I don't think he liked the fact that a young guy like me was driving a car like this.

Still using the PPE programmer, haven't loaded the 300 tune yet, still driving on the 220 tune (level 5). I want to upgrade to a power steering rack and pinion and hydro boost this winter. Also want to make the interior more complete. It appears that the roll cage is definitely going to interfere with the stock headliner, so I've been tossing around the idea of making aluminum door panels and custom aluminum headliner with A LOT of sound deadening insulation. The aluminum interior would round out the "drag car" persona the Camaro puts in peoples minds.

I've been wanting to upload some more videos of it but haven't gotten around to filming anything...

Good luck with your '57. Personally, I would eliminate as much factory equipment as possible, but I'm heavily biased.

max57

Dec 12, 2014
Upstate, NY
Got the dash almost done, All hooked up and ready to start, but getting U0101 code(lost commun with tcm) . If I can find the problem shes ready to fireup! And ideas? Has 12volts at TCM where it should, has ground.????
Learned a lesson on the grounds. Left ground by tail lights on factory harness unhooked and itt would not turn over. LOL:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_1697.jpg
    IMG_1697.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 79

dslhtrdr

Always learning
Nov 22, 2012
Sebastopol, Ca
Going to the Total Performance Diesel dyno day this Saturday. Loaded the 300hp level 7 tune last month and it's running great still. Loses traction in 3rd gear pretty easily. Should be a lot of fun getting the Camaro on the rollers for the first time. Will most likely have some pics and videos to share afterwards. Wish me luck!