LB7: 11.54 @ 118 mph first runs on new motor

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
The ECM came with the motor with a Kennedy tune - that is the only Kennedy tune we've used and we used it for our shakedown runs. We wrote a new tune, swapped in Winston's stock ECM and loaded it up, and went to our home track today. He ran a 11.41 @ 120mph. He made a handful of passes under 11.50.

I'm sure the new DA tune looks totally different.:rolleyes: Nice to log a good tune on a few shakedown runs, change a few things and call it new. Sorry, I'm always going to assume this is the Kennedy tune that you guys are adjusting.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm sure the new DA tune looks totally different.:rolleyes: Nice to log a good tune on a few shakedown runs, change a few things and call it new. Sorry, I'm always going to assume this is the Kennedy tune that you guys are adjusting.
Isn't the map feature of EFILive just great! :eek:

Pville

Winston Griffin Hauling
Jul 3, 2008
Pollocksville, NC
the mains were all set at .025. Valve lash was set to .0112 according to valve clearence... I forgot what I clearenced them at. I wrote it all inside the valve cover with a marker so it could be referenced again.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Actually we didn't use the map feature. The only thing we looked at was max PW and timing since the previous owner didn't seem too sure of the injector size. We took the tune that used to be on the truck and modded it for the dual fuelers and injectors - it ran .13 faster at 2 more mph - still needs more tweaks but it'll get there. Hope to get it much closer to the 6s in the 1/8 with some weight reduction, my cheater slicks and some more tuning.

We'll get some rolling burnout videos as soon as I see Chris and we have the video cam. Although that is completely irrelevant to what this thread was originally about.

You guys are funny...... so who's tune are you gonna try to say is in the LBZ since there isn't one in the country that fast - even when people put them on drag radials and have an intake and down-pipe. :rofl: We must have one little secret that we add to other people's tunes to make them run faster, huh???:confused:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Actually we didn't use the map feature. The only thing we looked at was max PW and timing since the previous owner didn't seem too sure of the injector size. We took the tune that used to be on the truck and modded it for the dual fuelers and injectors - it ran .13 faster at 2 more mph - still needs more tweaks but it'll get there. Hope to get it much closer to the 6s in the 1/8 with some weight reduction, my cheater slicks and some more tuning.

We'll get some rolling burnout videos as soon as I see Chris and we have the video cam. Although that is completely irrelevant to what this thread was originally about.

You guys are funny...... so who's tune are you gonna try to say is in the LBZ since there isn't one in the country that fast - even when people put them on drag radials and have an intake and down-pipe. :rofl: We must have one little secret that we add to other people's tunes to make them run faster, huh???:confused:

ok so how about this ill send you a stock ecm you guys can flash. send it to me and ill go test it at the track. and see where you guys trueley stand. I will test it back to back with my current ecm and yours and completley stock. you willing to take the challange?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Guys, keep in mind this a drag racing area.

I like hearing about other people's results, regardless of who's parts are on the truck.

It's Dmax vs. Dodge/Ford, not Dmax vs. Dmax here.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
this thread is worthless without video. My freaking built motor twin turbo'd dmax wont even do that on a dry road.

Or maybe DA tuning is 'that' good. :cool:

Actually Ben, I was in Wendy and it does the same thing with new tires on:) It was pretty freaking cool also Dales truck did the same with 35`mts but there could of been because the roads where dirty on his truck

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Guys, keep in mind this a drag racing area.

I like hearing about other people's results, regardless of who's parts are on the truck.

It's Dmax vs. Dodge/Ford, not Dmax vs. Dmax here.

Pat
He did say it was the fastest in the country and Tommy disagrees. That makes it Dmax vs Dmax. Besides it's to his advantage to send Tommy the tune because if it does what he says it does, he will sell a bunch of them.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
ok so how about this ill send you a stock ecm you guys can flash. send it to me and ill go test it at the track. and see where you guys trueley stand. I will test it back to back with my current ecm and yours and completley stock. you willing to take the challange?

That would be cool!

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR

I know dustin is playing with some LMM tunes now for some people. I would be very interested in the results of this as well. Might take a few trial and errors of sending it back and forth to get it dialed in. I know I'm on tweak 7 or 8 from the original LBZ tune he made last spring. And I'm gunna run my truck on sunday with the New S&B and Diamond Eye and see If I can't get a 12.3x.

As for the rolling burn outs I know its b/c of the VVT and how ridiculously fast they can spool.

Pville

Winston Griffin Hauling
Jul 3, 2008
Pollocksville, NC

It sounds good! Only one problem... we don't have a track proven LMM tune (just judging by your sig.) All our LMM's are rolling around on 35's or don't have a built trans....Now we are willing to take the challenge from someone with a worthy LBZ (built trans, lift pump, fprv shim) thats all that is done to that truck. Provide us a computer and we will provide the tune. I'm sure everyone wants to see how this turns out.

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC

Only problem is you will have to remove everything out of your truck minus the drivers seat and it wouldnt hurt to take off your bumpers also to achieve these times. I have seen how these boys run at the drag strip:rofl:

Drholliday

May 28, 2008
Gresham, OR
Only problem is you will have to remove everything out of your truck minus the drivers seat and it wouldnt hurt to take off your bumpers also to achieve these times. I have seen how these boys run at the drag strip:rofl:

back seat and pass seat is the only thing I pull b/c I can do it in less then 5 minutes... I've never pulled my Bumpers and when I ran the 12.60 nothing was touched, all seats in place.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
back seat and pass seat is the only thing I pull b/c I can do it in less then 5 minutes... I've never pulled my Bumpers and when I ran the 12.60 nothing was touched, all seats in place.

5mins hugh i cant even get my back seat out with 2 people in 5 mins

my truck is basicly now a lbz the tuneing shouldent be all tht diffrent.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
If nobody steps up with an LBZ we will take you up on the LMM - because like you said a de-emmissioned LMM is basically an LBZ.

Travis has seen me at the track once - when I was removing my bumper to put the roll-pan on. Chris has his full bumper and hitch and runs on street tires.

Cordless impact, 15mm socket, 11mm socket, 18mm socket, universal joint and extension and I will have a set of seats out of an extended cab in 5 minutes. Not sure on the crew cab's rear seat since I have never talked Winston into taking any seats out. We took out his toolbox and took the tailgate off for both nights at the track this week and the spare tire has been off forever - that's it for weight reduction on Winston's truck.

Sniffle, Sniffle - you sound like a Ford owner Travis.... "but he is lighter".:baby::hug:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
It sounds good! Only one problem... we don't have a track proven LMM tune (just judging by your sig.) All our LMM's are rolling around on 35's or don't have a built trans....Now we are willing to take the challenge from someone with a worthy LBZ (built trans, lift pump, fprv shim) thats all that is done to that truck. Provide us a computer and we will provide the tune. I'm sure everyone wants to see how this turns out.

I have a spare ecm but alot more done to the truck :baby:

The Neens

BFD
Staff member
Aug 10, 2006
Monrovia, Ca.
You guys are funny...... so who's tune are you gonna try to say is in the LBZ since there isn't one in the country that fast - even when people put them on drag radials and have an intake and down-pipe. :rofl:

Normally I'd offer to let you borrow a shovel, but the hole you're digging seems to be growing just fine without it ;)

Now we are willing to take the challenge from someone with a worthy LBZ (built trans, lift pump, fprv shim) thats all that is done to that truck. Provide us a computer and we will provide the tune. I'm sure everyone wants to see how this turns out.

I'll volunteer mine, just gotta do the shim...I can send an ECM...

If nobody steps up with an LBZ

Sniffle, Sniffle - you sound like a Ford owner Travis.... "but he is lighter".:baby::hug:

Mine weighs between 7400-7500 in street/race trim and I won't remove any weight...

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

BigWill_21

~BULL HURLEY Look-A-Like~
Aug 28, 2006
Greenville, NC
Interesting....

Sorry Winston, I couldn't wait to post this but you better put up the videos when you get on here next.

Anyway, the Diesel Addiction Crew (Winston, Chris and I) went to the Kinston Drag Strip tonight for the initial shakedown runs on Winston's new motor. It was our first time at that track and they have the time signs at the 1/8th mile even though it's a 1/4 mile track. A little after passing the 1/8 mile Winston let out on the first run thinking he was done. He ran 94 mph in the 1/8 then decelerated across the 1/4 with a 11.9X @ 96 mph - lol. They hot lapped and ran all the way down this time. Winston went 11.54 @ 118 mph. He was still running the old trans tune and got under the turbo on 2 of the shifts, it bogged but I didn't think that was bad for a shake-down run. Guess we better start planning for a cage unless he is retiring it to pulling and 1/8th mile only.

Chris ran a 12.50 on the first run when he let out early, then ran 12.4s the rest of the night.

As for me, my truck still doesn't seem to like the 28 x 11.50 cheater slicks since my top end is lacking due to fuel limitations and I ran 12.5s all night. I was smoking a little more and holding less rail pressure than normal so I'm going to clean my air filter, change both fuel filters, and swap the tires onto my 16 x 10 aluminum rims that are on my Bronco II, then give them one more chance. If that doesn't work I'll go to something around the height of the 285 BFGs I was using.

FUNNY... I'm from KINSTON!!! Raced there many times... Know lots of folks there... Nobody I know has ever heard of or seen you!!!!

VERY INTERESTING!!!!